Preparing for a Critical In-Class Essay: Tips and Strategies

• Thread starter mjolnir80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Essay
In summary, if you have a critical essay tomorrow, you need to read the book, know the topic, and be familiar with the author's style.
mjolnir80
i hate writing in class essays and have never been really good at them but i always some how pull off a good grade.
but i have a really critical in-class essay tomorrow that i need a really good grade on.

does anyone have any tips to prepare for one of these ?

oh and its in english class, we're writing about some book and we don't know the topics yet

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are writing a critical essay on a book, than you need to have read it, and actually understand what's it about. Then form an opinion about it, and ask yourself questions mentally. Like do you sympathize with the main character? Is there any lessons or morals this book is trying to get across? If so then see if you can back up that claim with quotes from the book.

What's the book anyways?

its the great gatsby

Never read it.

I only had one in-class essay in my uni days for my english elective (short stories course).. fortunately, the prof. gave several topics before hand and some strong hints on the specifics and I was able to write up an essay before hand and memorize it. all I had to do was regurgitate it on exam time and alter it slightly to make it match the question asked.

I took AP English Lit in high school, so I had to write a lot of inclass essays on an unknown topic for practice. Few things that I did to prepare:
- read the entire book yourself and don't rely too much on sparknotes
- make sure you know what the theme of the book is or if there is any special message that the author is trying to bring across
- make sure to note the author's style. Does he repeat any words a lot, how are the chapters organized, are there any common allusions or illusions...
- most importantly: go over any notes (or try to remember) of discussions that you had in class. The topic will most likely be based on them.

Last edited:
cool thanks for the replies

1. What is the purpose of an inclass essay?

The purpose of an inclass essay is to assess a student's understanding of a topic or concept by having them write a focused, timed essay in class. It allows instructors to evaluate a student's critical thinking, writing skills, and ability to synthesize information under pressure.

2. How can I prepare for an inclass essay?

To prepare for an inclass essay, it is important to review the material that will be covered on the essay beforehand. This can include studying notes, reading assigned texts, and understanding key concepts. It is also helpful to practice timed writing and brainstorming techniques to improve your speed and organization.

3. What should I include in my inclass essay?

In an inclass essay, you should include a clear thesis statement that addresses the prompt or question, supporting evidence from the material you have studied, and analysis or explanation of that evidence. It is important to stay focused and avoid including irrelevant information.

4. How should I structure my inclass essay?

The structure of an inclass essay should follow a basic essay format, including an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Each body paragraph should focus on a specific aspect of the prompt and include evidence and analysis. It is important to use transitions between paragraphs to maintain a coherent flow.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful inclass essay?

Some tips for writing a successful inclass essay include carefully reading and understanding the prompt, organizing your thoughts before you begin writing, and using specific evidence from the material to support your arguments. It is also important to proofread your essay for spelling and grammar errors before submitting it.