How can we attract more diverse members to Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, on Physics Forums, the personalities of posters tend to be motivated, somewhat distant but sociable, and sometimes suffer from social anxiety.
Loren Booda
How would you describe the personalities of posters on Physics Forums? Fortunately we are shielded from sociopaths, benefit from some pretty obsessive people and provide an outlet for those with social anxiety.

What observations have you made?

Physics news on Phys.org
shielded from sociopaths?

is this a poll to vote whether we agree or not?

I find it seems to be a pretty mixed bag. I wouldn't even really know where to begin.

This is a thread to relate your experiences on Physics Forums regarding what types of psychological characteristics you encounter. A lot of them might turn out to be those of hard scientists online, e.g., motivated, somewhat distant but sociable.

On less regulated physics discussion groups I encountered a tirade of ad hominem (bordering on sociopathic) attacks, something which no doubt turned off many beginning physicists.

I guess I've been watching too much "Criminal Minds."

Would you hazard constructing the personality profile for the average PF user? Nothing sinister, just a question which many of us ask ourselves while surfing this site.

What would this user be like in person?

Loren Booda said:
Fortunately we are shielded from sociopaths,

Looks like I haven't posted on PF frequently enough.

Loren Booda said:

Would you hazard constructing the personality profile for the average PF user? Nothing sinister, just a question which many of us ask ourselves while surfing this site.

I'm guessing a male, in his late teens to early twenties, attending college and working on a B.S. in something. He probably has girl problems from time to time, and occasionally feels lonely because he has few friends that share his interests. He stays up late studying (and sometimes his bum hurts from studying so long). He's been worrying about where he'll go to grad school since he was 12, and he secretly or not so secretly takes online IQ tests.

:biggrin:

I think I am a mixed bag :P

I'm 18, a paid professional dancer, also pursuing a career in business (in which physics is a science requirement) Although i do love physics, i don't see it as a career or anything beyond my intellectual curiosity :)

*Edit: Lol math is hard! :)

Math Is Hard said:
I'm guessing a male, in his late teens to early twenties, attending college and working on a B.S. in something. He probably has girl problems from time to time, and occasionally feels lonely because he has few friends that share his interests. He stays up late studying (and sometimes his bum hurts from studying so long). He's been worrying about where he'll go to grad school since he was 12, and he secretly or not so secretly takes online IQ tests.

:biggrin:

Where are the feminists now :rofl:

Lol! @ ranger :p

ranger said:

um.. at feministforum.com? :smile:

ranger said:

The fact that the male to female ratio on this board is about 457:1 has nothing whatsoever to do with feminism. I think MIH is a genius. She can probably see you right through your computer screen too.

Loren Booda said:

yeah, or what in the world would make them admit to this or that on this forum?

ahhhh, partial anonymity and a voice of a being in a typed personality!

I'm not sure how to describe myself but I think of myself as "a student of the world" and I probably suffer from a mild case of Megalomania. I've never cared about number grades since I figured such a thing shouldn't be too important for someone who is really passionate about what they learn. A lot of people(even those who know far more than me) probably consider me a lot smarter and more knowledgeable than I am, it's just that when I talk about something or learn something I make sure I know important information inside-out.

I've always had an interest for certain things whereas I never really cared for what academic standards dictate. I remember even as far back as first or second grade, I was actually interested in the natural sciences and I still hold that same interest today. I think it's important to do what you believe will ultimately make you happy, regardless of what the sociological payout may be.

I've been around many people who will become "very successful" in life, however, I noticed a good majority of them lacked an actual interest in anything. It disgusts me when I see kids growing up and being forced to pursue a career chosen by their parents, it's like they're simple puppets. This is a common problem that many American Asians face(I, myself, am Indian) and it definitely causes unnecessary stress for some people.

I'm in my first year of undergraduate study and although I may not have expert knowledge on any particular subject just yet, I've dipped my feet in the knowledge pool of many different subjects and I'm very good when it comes to explaining anything that is withing my knowledge. I just have this weird feeling that I'm very capable of discovering something huge in any field of research that I wish to pursue... So just keep an eye out for the name "Zubin" in regards to scientific publications.

Last edited:
Senjai said:

I'm 18, a paid professional dancer, also pursuing a career in business (in which physics is a science requirement) Although i do love physics, i don't see it as a career or anything beyond my intellectual curiosity :)

Wow, Senjai...I bet you're the only PFer who can say that :biggrin:!

I think that just goes to show we're maybe not easily characterized. Except of course, everyone here really rocks.

GeorginaS said:
The fact that the male to female ratio on this board is about 457:1 has nothing whatsoever to do with feminism. I think MIH is a genius. She can probably see you right through your computer screen too.

I thought the ratio of male:female was something like 314.159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 . . . . :1

or maybe

female-to-male = 7.29735253765e-3 or conversely

male-to-female = 137.035999679(94)4

Senjai said:

Senjai:

In order to advance the knowledge of Physics and the Physics Forum, and more specifically to expand its audience and the participation of those possible new members with the (male) membership, I suggest posting several dozen flyers inviting new members in your place of business (photos of perspective members in their business activity are suggested on the Physics Forum).

Astronuc said:
I thought the ratio of male:female was something like 314.159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 . . . . :1

or maybe

female-to-male = 7.29735253765e-3 or conversely

male-to-female = 137.035999679(94)4

I recognize the first number, as everyone should (if you don't, you might not deserve to be on a physics forum), but the second and third numbers elude me. Pray tell, what are they?

the fine structure constant (and its inverse)

Christopher Hitchens statement modified for scientists, works equally well here:

Getting atheists (or scientists) to sit in a room and work together is like trying to heard cats.

Most are independent type thinkers and so don't get along well.

I see.

The one denoted by [tex]\alpha[/tex]?

rewebster said:
Senjai:

In order to advance the knowledge of Physics and the Physics Forum, and more specifically to expand its audience and the participation of those possible new members with the (male) membership, I suggest posting several dozen flyers inviting new members in your place of business (photos of perspective members in their business activity are suggested on the Physics Forum).
Do you know if Senjai is male or female?

TheStatutoryApe said:

well, if it does turn out that she is male, I'd guess there will still be some interested

Cyrus said:
Christopher Hitchens statement modified for scientists, works equally well here:

Getting atheists (or scientists) to sit in a room and work together is like trying to heard cats.

Perhaps the cats just aren't loud enough. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
I had the same thought.

Cyrus said:

But what if they do indeed?

Dutch variation on Hitchen:
Getting atheists (or scientists) to sit in a room and work together is like trying to get a wheel barrow somewhere with a load of frogs.

Loren Booda said:
How would you describe the personalities of posters on Physics Forums? Fortunately we are shielded from sociopaths, benefit from some pretty obsessive people and provide an outlet for those with social anxiety.

What observations have you made?

Lisab>>>>>>>crystal clear :smile:
Andre>>>>>>>>>sense intentions :biggrin:
Turbo-1>>>>>>>>>a sensible guy :cool:
rootX>>>>>>>>>hits the peak points! :P
DaveC[whatever that number is]>>>>>>>>>> risky :tongue:
TSA>>>>>>>>>> cautious person :-)
Moonbear>>>>>>>>>> straight shooter! no wonder she had a sniper kitten avatar :biggrin:

Any of the mentioned PFers; if you have anything to say address it to Loren Booda :biggrin:

rewebster said:
Senjai:

Haha this made me laugh.. webster, I am male :P and the studio only allows dance related posters and solicitation xD

I'll put some up on campus though :)

1. What is a "PF personality"?

A "PF personality" is a term used to describe someone who possesses certain traits and behaviors commonly associated with the field of personal finance. These traits may include being financially responsible, disciplined, and organized, as well as having a strong desire to achieve long-term financial stability.

2. Can anyone develop a "PF personality"?

Yes, anyone can develop a "PF personality" by making a conscious effort to improve their financial habits and mindset. It may require learning new skills, making changes to current spending and saving habits, and setting specific financial goals to work towards.

3. Are "PF personalities" born or made?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards personal finance management, anyone can develop a "PF personality" with dedication and effort. Factors such as upbringing, education, and life experiences may also play a role in shaping one's financial attitudes and behaviors.

4. How can having a "PF personality" benefit an individual?

Having a "PF personality" can bring a variety of benefits, including better financial stability, reduced financial stress, and the ability to reach long-term financial goals. It can also lead to improved decision-making and a better understanding of personal finances.

5. What are some common traits of "PF personalities"?

Some common traits of "PF personalities" may include being financially responsible, disciplined, organized, and proactive in managing their money. They may also have a strong desire to learn and educate themselves on personal finance topics, as well as the ability to set and stick to financial goals.