Photo Contest (11/12-11/19) - Back

In summary, a photo contest is a competition where individuals submit their photographs and the best ones are selected as winners. Anyone with a passion for photography can participate, and the benefits include exposure, recognition, and the opportunity to win prizes. Choosing the right photo to submit and the judging process can vary, but it's important to carefully follow the guidelines and criteria to ensure a fair selection of winners.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Back!

Baby, we're back! Hopefully, this time, stronger than ever. So for our first theme, it will be just one word - "back"! Use your imagination and find your photos that can best represent the theme.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horseback

34qwqrs.jpg

aka beautiful girl in a simple white dress on a unsaddled horse in a backlight setting.

URGHHH! That's not fair! I stayed awake to post the FIRST pic. :cry:

Nice pic Andre... Now I have to think twice before I post my pic.

marcin_back.jpg

Looking back at Lofoten aka Going back to the mainland.

Last edited:
I'll risk it!

[PLAIN]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2810/img1209a.jpg

My phone's background! :biggrin:

Does it count? [I drew it, then took a pic of it]

Last edited by a moderator:
marzena_back3.jpg

53qro1.jpg

Dragonflies having fun on my wife's back while she was having a snooze after a picnic.

Mayne Island, B.C.

Mayne2010068.jpg

Oooh, so many great pictures so far! This is going to be hard. Ok, I have ~800 pictures to look through that might fit.

Andre said:
Horseback
aka beautiful girl in a simple white dress on a unsaddled horse in a backlight setting.
Could also be titled "bareback". I just knew we'd be seeing this photo again. The lens flare and low-light colors are great.

My brother and his little girl in the spring of '09. We had just spent the better part of an hour feeding ducks at the mill-pond in the next town, and when a couple of passing cars dispersed the ducks, it was time for a piggy-back ride until the ducks came back for more food.

piggyback.jpg

Ahahawww, cute little girl :!)

drizzle said:
Ahahawww, cute little girl :!)
With a sly sense of humor, too. At the time, she knew all kinds of animal sounds, and whenever she would see a duck in one of her books or in a TV commercial (Aflac insurance uses a sassy duck as its "spokesperson"), she would say "quack-quack!". However, when ducks were mobbing her for bread crumbs and cereal and we would ask her what a duck says, she would say "Woof!" and then grin. Couldn't get a quack out of her all that time - she persisted in fooling us with her "Woof!" joke.

Marzena's birds are my favorite, so far, I laugh every time I look at the. I think I'll save my two-tone blonde rear end squirrel for another time.

Glad the contest is back!

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Zz.

Trolley car in Newark, New Jersey

[URL]http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/images/back.jpg[/URL]

5180230123_9ab9785897.jpg

Wow! What an impressive selection.

Thank you, Zapper, for starting this again. Andre did a great job. I'm glad you guys saw fit to start again. After summer break and all.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1940/aletsch3.jpg

Backside of the Jungfrau and the Aletsch Glacier. The Aletsch glacier, a frozen river in the Bernese Alps, is the largest in Europe at 21 km long. In a typical year, it will be receding by 100 m due to warming.

Wow, great pics people. :)

The title of this is "Narcissism/Don't look back".

[PLAIN]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9573/dsc3325i.jpg

Less than a day to submit a photo for our Photo Contest!

Zz.

Really great pics!

Wow, there really are some talented photographers on this forum :eek:

1. What is a photo contest and how does it work?

A photo contest is a competition where individuals submit their photographs and the best ones are selected as winners. The submissions are judged based on specific criteria and the winners are usually awarded prizes such as cash or recognition. To participate in a photo contest, you typically need to submit your photograph following the guidelines provided by the contest organizers.

2. Who can participate in a photo contest?

Anyone with a passion for photography can participate in a photo contest. Most contests are open to both amateur and professional photographers, and there are usually no age restrictions. Some contests may have specific themes or categories, which may limit the participation to certain individuals.

3. What are the benefits of entering a photo contest?

Entering a photo contest can bring many benefits, such as exposure for your work, recognition and validation from experts in the field, and the opportunity to win prizes. It can also help you improve your photography skills by challenging you to create unique and high-quality images.

4. How do you choose which photo to submit to a contest?

Choosing the right photo to submit to a contest can be a difficult decision. It's important to carefully read the guidelines and criteria for the contest to ensure your photo meets the requirements. You should also consider your own personal style and the theme of the contest. It's always a good idea to get feedback from others before making your final decision.

5. How do judges select the winners of a photo contest?

The judging process for a photo contest varies depending on the contest. Some may have a panel of judges who evaluate the photos based on the established criteria, while others may use a voting system where the public can vote for their favorite photos. It's important for judges to be impartial and follow the guidelines and criteria set by the contest organizers to ensure a fair selection of winners.