PF PHOTO CONTEST - A Sight For Sore Eyes (4/12-4/18)

In summary: This is a shot of that tentative moment when the 'munk was deciding whether or not to jump and get cozy or just reach...This shot of your friend's granddaughter is wonderful! She is so cute and precocious! I love how she is reading books that are big enough for adults. That is so smart of her!
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A Sight For Sore Eyes

Do you think you have a picture that, when someone sees it, he/she would say "Now that's a sight for sore eyes!"? If you do, then that picture fits our theme this week.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will start off, Wow this is a toughie. This is a site for my sore eyes. My wife. Hope it fits the theme.

pics100_0035-1.jpg

glondor said:
I will start off, Wow this is a toughie. This is a site for my sore eyes. My wife. Hope it fits the theme.

It does, and you have a lovely wife.

I hope that she knows that her picture is on PF. :)

Zz.

Yeah she knows. Got me some brownie points with this choice. My whole clan helps me choose the photos for the contest. Gives us a little time together and let's us go thru thousands of pics and share some memories. That shot is from my sisters wedding 2 years ago. I usualy find something better for the contest after I post, However I don't think I can top this one for the theme.

glondor said:
Yeah she knows. Got me some brownie points with this choice. My whole clan helps me choose the photos for the contest. Gives us a little time together and let's us go thru thousands of pics and share some memories. That shot is from my sisters wedding 2 years ago. I usualy find something better for the contest after I post, However I don't think I can top this one for the theme.

Glondor,

You got a beautiful wife there man. My compliments...Lovely lady

marlon

Would my pic in (what a mess) fit?

Here is a shot of my best friend's grand-daughter. I hadn't seen her for over a year because she lives in Ireland. She had grown so much and is so precocious - she told me "I read big-people books - ones without pictures." She insisted on visiting me because her grandfather had told her about how my chipmunks would run to me and climb all over me checking my pockets for seeds. She was kind of disappointed for a couple of chipmunk-less hours, but she brightened up when one of the 'munks showed up for seeds. At first, she had to hold her hands on the patio, and it took some persuading and training to get the chipmunk to forget climbing me and check her out. Eventually, it happened. This is a shot of a repeat visit (second visit for the 'munk), and I had Sophia raise her hands so that the chipmunk would jump into her hands for seeds. This is a shot of that tentative moment when the 'munk was deciding whether or not to jump and get cozy or just reach and grab. (Thanks for the suggestion Andre!) When my 'munks show up later this spring, they will be a sight for sore eyes, too - it's been a long winter.

sophia_munk.jpg

Last edited:
Ok Turbo. I'm going to select a picture tomorrow, but just to have more than two choiches. That is a world class picture, Outstanding.

I've got a picture in mind, but posting it pends finishing my dissertation soon...

Andre said:
Ok Turbo. I'm going to select a picture tomorrow, but just to have more than two choiches. That is a world class picture, Outstanding.
Thanks, Andre. On the 3rd visit, the chipmunk actually jumped into her hands, but I didn't get such a cute picture during that visit. Looking at this picture I can see the wheels going in that little 'munk's head "Do I hop up, or do I stand here and grab seeds?"

So, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this is my choice for a sight for my sore yes. :)

img0300jb4.jpg

I sometime get emotional seeing this for the first time on each trip, since it means that I have several wonderful days ahead of me to look forward to. Oh yeah, I'm a wuss!

Zz.

IMG_3748.jpg

Oh that looks like Meir Woods!

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Composition in rime

sse.JPG

Hold on a sec! I thought it was supposed to be a sight that made your eyes sore? Dammit!

Andre said:
Composition in rime
Beautiful delicate colors, Andre.

_Mayday_ said:
Hold on a sec! I thought it was supposed to be a sight that made your eyes sore? Dammit!

A sight for an eye sore is not the same as a sight for sore eyes.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
A sight for an eye sore is not the same as a sight for sore eyes.

:)

Zz.

Haha! My bad!

Thanks Turbo, I was very lucky being on the right place at the right time. The window of opportunty of taking these shots (having dozens of that) was only 2-3 hours.

piggeeeh.jpg

My landlord doesn't allow pets so the piggies have to live with my parents :frown:
They're a sight for sore eyes when I go visiting.

Piggy's name is Onion :smile:

Last edited:
It's Armstrong Redwoods, Sonoma County.

After a long cold winter, a tropical vacation was a real sight for sore eyes...

HoneymoonPool.jpg

After walking to the ski lift from the parking lot and taking the ski lift to the top then walking to the jump and taking the shaky elevator up then climbing some rusty stairs the rest of the way to the top of Copper peak ski jump this truly was a sight for sore eyes.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6401/coppermt3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
sas3 said:
After walking to the ski lift from the parking lot and taking the ski lift to the top then walking to the jump and taking the shaky elevator up then climbing some rusty stairs the rest of the way to the top of Copper peak ski jump this truly was a sight for sore eyes.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6401/coppermt3.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

If it were winter that would make my eyes sore o_O

But if you know you don't have to ski down it, its awsome.

Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
just out of curiosity is this picture taken with the bottle upside down? and if yes, why?

The camera (simulating my eye) is looking upward and the eyedrop-bottle is above with its opening pointing downward. Of course, an eyedrop more easily makes it to an eye by falling, rather than by being projected upward. (I was unsuccessful getting a clear image of a drop falling from the bottle... and I certainly didn't want my camera lens drenched in eyedrops.)

With allergy season starting up again, those eyedrops will be a sight for my sore eyes.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST is "A Sight For Sore Eyes". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that capture beautiful and visually pleasing images.

2. How long is the submission period for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The submission period for the PF PHOTO CONTEST is from April 12th to April 18th. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit up to three photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST. However, each photo must be submitted separately and meet the contest guidelines.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of their age or location. However, some contests may have specific eligibility requirements, so be sure to check the rules before submitting your photo.

5. How will the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be selected?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, technical quality, and adherence to the theme of the submitted photos. The winners will be announced on the contest website and social media pages.