PF PHOTO CONTEST - Ain't No Valley Low Enough (4/7-4/13)

In summary, the pictures submitted so far have been amazing! It will be nearly impossible to vote on this one. I don't have a pic of a valley on hand anyway.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Ain't No Valley Low Enough

A few weeks ago, we had a contest on mountains called "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". If there are mountains, then it would be logical to follow through with the next part of the song. So this time, we will focus on valleys. Please make sure that your photo shows a clear picture of a valley, and not just some flat land.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'l start things off. Here's a picture that includes the Yosemite Valley. It is taken from Glacier point, which overlooks the valley. The peak in the photo is aptly named "Half Dome".
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/yosemite.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Janus said:
Okay, I'l start things off. Here's a picture that includes the Yosemite Valley. It is taken from Glacier point, which overlooks the valley. The peak in the photo is aptly named "Half Dome".

omg... some picture... i had my mouth opened until spittle was coming out!

This is the valley below Mt. Cook New Zealand. It was taken with a film camera and scanned.
256358483_68b450de2c_o.jpg

San Bernardino National Forest, CA

This was the most beautiful place I've stubled upon. I was walking on a path through the mountains, when at this turn the scene opened up and there was this huge valley. The flora was really beautiful, plants I had never seen before, the clouds rolling in at the horizon, it was truly magical :smile:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8621/valleyod6.jpg

Astronuc said:
WOW! Where is that place?! :tongue2:

That was in the French Alpes. I studied for a year in France and my friends there took me on what they called a "beginners" hiking tour. :eek:
Lets just say I'm not a big outdoor person and I have very intense memories from that day.

Here is the waterfall from below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/buelder/PICT1610.jpg

I'm not even going to bother entering this one.

FredGarvin said:
I'm not even going to bother entering this one.

No kidding! The pictures submitted so far have been amazing! It will be nearly impossible to vote on this one. I don't have a pic of a valley on hand anyway.

physarrista said:
That was in the French Alpes. I studied for a year in France and my friends there took me on what they called a "beginners" hiking tour. :eek:
Lets just say I'm not a big outdoor person and I have very intense memories from that day. Here is the waterfall from below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/buelder/PICT1610.jpg

Nice waterfall. I also once went on a 'hike tour' through a canyon in the Italian Dolomites and had to repel down a waterfall very similar to the right in your picture (coming out of the mountain). I now have a fear of heights thanks to that waterfall :redface:

Might as well add mine to the "fire".

img1486vl0.jpg

Zz.

Great pic ZZ! Where is it?

A valley on Tenerife that I forget the name of:
untitled.jpg

matthyaouw said:
Great pic ZZ! Where is it?

Waimea canyon on Kauai.

Zz.

My head hurts from looking at these wonderfully beautiful pictures and trying to decide on which one to vote on...

Dr Transport said:
My head hurts from looking at these wonderfully beautiful pictures and trying to decide on which one to vote on...
I'm trying to think of some gimmick to garner a sympathy vote. Maybe if I show a pic of my old customized Wide-Glide in a low spot, I can get a vote from scorpa. :rofl: These valley pics are just too nice and I have nothing to compete with them. :cry:

turbo-1 said:
I'm trying to think of some gimmick to garner a sympathy vote. Maybe if I show a pic of my old customized Wide-Glide in a low spot, I can get a vote from scorpa. :rofl: These valley pics are just too nice and I have nothing to compete with them. :cry:

Yeah that would probably work

scorpa said:
Yeah that would probably work
That's my girl! :smile:

This is going to be another tough one!:cool:

turbo-1 said:

I might just have to vote for you for being honest...

My head still hurts...

Dr Transport said:
I might just have to vote for you for being honest...

My head still hurts...
Holy Cow! With you and scorpa, I can vote for myself and get 3 votes total. Maybe I can promise the PF sisters some chocolate to pull in a few more votes. :tongue2: :rofl:

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2941/valleyzw1.jpg

bryce canyon national park in utah

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1458/grandcanyon1003192ux0rl7.jpg One of the many side canyons at the Grand Canyon.

You guys are really killin' me...

Head really hurts now...more asprin and coffee...

Astronuc said:
One of the many side canyons at the Grand Canyon.

Astronuc, you need to reduce the size of your photo according to our rules.

Zz.

Fixed it. It seemed the right size on my other XP machine. :confused:

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for what is going to be a brutal contest to vote on.

Zz.

1. What is the theme for the PF Photo Contest this week?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Ain't No Valley Low Enough". This means that we are looking for photos that showcase valleys, canyons, gorges, or any other type of low-lying landforms.

2. How long will the contest be open for submissions?

The contest will be open for submissions from April 7th to April 13th. Any photos submitted after this time will not be considered for the contest.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the PF Photo Contest. However, please make sure that all photos are related to the theme and meet the submission guidelines.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and relevance to the theme of the submitted photos. The winner will be announced on April 15th.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?

The winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a $100 gift card to a photography supply store. They will also have their winning photo featured on the PF website and social media pages.