PF PHOTO CONTEST - Animal Instinct (11/24-11/30)

In summary: I don't think he liked it very much...three seconds later, there was 400lbs of highland gorilla charging towards us. I was clicking pictures while this was happening, but my hands were very shaky on the last shot, an instant before the great ape slammed into the glass barrier, inches in front my nose. Fortunately, I was carrying an extra pair of pants!
All cuddly creatures over here :grumpy:. But Don't ignore my picture just because it lacks the "cuteness" factor! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who says crocs aren't cute?

Moonbear said:
Awwwrrrr...that tiger wants tummy rubs! :biggrin:
I had another of him sleeping and his tongue hanging out (it was a very hot day). Unfortunately it was out of focus.

pmantis.jpg

We've got cute and cuddly, big and furry, and scary... so how about a bug to round things out.

Integral that is just creepy :P Very good picture though.

I haven't posted in these contests in forever so I figured maybe I would try to get back in. This picture was taken while driving so it is not the best.

x1pbglk-vqL4Bu_5K6UsXWIBtm_OIYHL-2.jpg

Scorpa,
Is that guy from the I84 goat herd that I have been hearing about recently?

He is from the Kananaskis goat herd :P

Integral said:
pmantis.jpg

We've got cute and cuddly, big and furry, and scary... so how about a bug to round things out.

Now that's what I call variety. :approve:

We don't have a representative from the marine world yet (not sure if crocodiles qualify as "marine"), so here is one. Who says that whales can't fly? :)

pic146lb8.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
We don't have a representative from the marine world yet (not sure if crocodiles qualify as "marine"), so here is one. Who says that whales can't fly? :)

pic146lb8.jpg

Zz.

Awsome shot!

I love shots of whales leaping out of the air.

Now if only orcas do that naturally in the wild that would be awsome...
(even if they do leap, I've never seen one leap as nice as the captive orcas)

Just a reminder that you have 2 days left to enter a photo for this contest. So get out the animal instinct in you!

Zz.

I decided against the pet photo as I ended up taking a trip out to a seal colony at the weekend :smile:

seals-1.jpg

Last edited:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3655/falcon1005315hr1.jpg

Falcon at a local rehabilitation center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the seal picture the look like they are in a slough!

Astronuc said:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3655/falcon1005315hr1.jpg

Falcon at a local rehabilitation center.

Awwww. He's so cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great shot :)

Yep! Nice shot. I wish I'd had a camera at the ready when a female Merlin slammed into our patio door. She had killed a Pine Siskin, but failed to brake in time. I ran out and picked her out of the snow and held her to my chest until she started to come around, then I let her perch on my hand (ouch!) until she became aware of her situation and started to get panicky. Then I held her up to a branch where she perched for another 5-10 minutes before flying off. I put the dead Siskin on the branch next to her feet, but she was having none of it.

Just a few more hours to submit a photo for this contest.

This is also an advanced notice to everyone so that you can keep an eye out for good pictures to take. Starting a week from tomorrow, out subsequent contests will have themes related to the holiday season and the new year. While most of the theme will clearly be aimed towards the upcoming holidays, a few might even be wide enough to include any type of holiday celebrations.

So if you are traveling, or simply wondering about town, or think that you already have great shots in your home, start building a good collection of many different photos for our up coming contests.

Zz.

turbo-1 said:
My relish is entirely habaneros and garlic packed in some salt, sugar, vinegar, with or without dill. If you can eat my habanero relish, you'll be doing well. My chilies are home-grown, and WAY hotter than the stuff that you can get from stores. If I give my neighbor a jar of habanero relish made from (desparation!) store-bought chilies, he'll be bringing me back the empty jar in a couple of weeks. If I give him my real relish made from home-grown peppers he has to be a lot more cautious about how much he puts on sandwiches, etc, and I won't see him back with the empty jar for a couple of months. So judging from the informal "chili-head neighbor" scale of hotness, my habs are 8-10x hotter than the stuff in the produce aisle.

My stomach and tongue hurt just reading your post...

vincentm said:
My stomach and tongue hurt just reading your post...
I just had fried three hot dogs on butter-friend rolls for supper, dressed with sauteed onions, habanero relish and yellow mustard. Mmm! Lips are still burning. The stuff never seems to bother my stomach, etc. It's great!

turbo-1 said:
I just had fried three hot dogs on butter-friend rolls for supper, dressed with sauteed onions, habanero relish and yellow mustard. Mmm! Lips are still burning. The stuff never seems to bother my stomach, etc. It's great!

Dude, I'm hispanic, from California and should be right there with you. But ( to some who deem it unfortunate) i just can't do spicy. the closest i get to spicy is a bottle of Cholula on my tacos, that's it.

My father who's been a Chef for 35 years and my mother who also makes her own salsa ( if it doesn't make her sweat it isn't spicy enough), say they don't know what went wrong with me everyone else in my family loves Chile and salsas... :tongue:

vincentm said:
Dude, I'm hispanic, from California and should be right there with you. But ( to some who deem it unfortunate) i just can't do spicy. the closest i get to spicy is a bottle of Cholula on my tacos, that's it.

My father who's been a Chef for 35 years and my mother who also makes her own salsa ( if it doesn't make her sweat it isn't spicy enough), say they don't know what went wrong with me everyone else in my family loves Chile and salsas... :tongue:
You have my sympathies. I cannot imagine getting by without my home-made salsas and chili relishes. I'm primarily French/Indian/Irish, so my taste for hot stuff is not inherited, but developed. My wife and I make chili, spaghetti, etc quite hot, and my home-made from-scratch pizza sauce (takes all day to simmer it down) is blistering on its own. Combined with crust, cheese, toppings, etc, it becomes tolerable to people who like hot foods. My cute nieces would get flushed and sweaty from eating my home-made pizzas, but every year when I asked them what foods I should cook for Christmas day, pizzas always made the cut, as did my very spicy marinated smoked beef strips (moist, not jerked) and egg rolls with Chinese mustard and duck sauce.