Photo Contest - Animated GIF (3/14-3/20)

In summary, an animated GIF is a type of image file that contains multiple frames or images played in sequence to create the illusion of movement. To create an animated GIF, specialized software or online tools can be used. It is important to only use original content or content with the rights to use in the photo contest. The recommended length for an animated GIF in the contest is under 15 seconds. A panel of judges will choose the winner based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the contest theme. The winner will be announced after the contest closes.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Animated GIF

And now for something completely different...

It GIF files first started out, they were just image files. But now, depending on the viewing app or browser, these files have the ability to show short animated image. So for this contest, for the first time, it will be on animated GIF images.

Since this is our first contest of this type, there is no theme or subject for you to conform to. Any animated GIF images is acceptable, within the general rules of the contest and PF Guidelines. For this contest, you are allowed to modify size and to crop the images if necessary. Your GIF images may come from still images, or videos, but the restriction that the images or videos were taken BY YOU still holds.

Please be mindful that animated GIF file size can be quite big. Your moving images should be less than 3 seconds, but you may have it play in a continuous loop. Do a lot of cropping and reducing image size so that your animated GIF file size does not tax the PF storage too much.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
With an interesting challenge comes the need to learn something new :smile:

The Long Strike.gif

• Love
Likes DennisN, berkeman, BillTre and 1 other person
Hooray! We have our first one!

Here's mine. It's a video of a lab that I wrote for one of my undergraduate general physics classes where they make a simple electric motor. Of course, I had to test it out first to make sure it would work. As you can see, it did!

electric motor.gif

Zz.

• Love
Likes DennisN, davenn, BillTre and 1 other person
From our crater lab... in reverse.

crater-rev.gif

• Love
Likes DrClaude, morrobay, DennisN and 2 others
davenn said:
With an interesting challenge comes the need to learn something new
Thanks davenn. Now how could I possibly compete with that gif?
I would need to film a ball lightning...

• Haha
Likes davenn
Sigh, yesterday in the morning I cleaned my disk and deleted several animated gifs that would be perfect :(

• Sad
Likes DennisN, davenn and BillTre
robphy said:
From our crater lab... in reverse.

View attachment 258735
Very cool :)

DennisN said:
Thanks davenn. Now how could I possibly compete with that gif?
I would need to film a ball lightning...

@robohy has given pretty solid competition to everyone !

Likes DennisN
Borek said:
Sigh, yesterday in the morning I cleaned my disk and deleted several animated gifs that would be perfect :(

Time to make some new ones :wink:

I did a model which describes the spread of an infectious virus:

ToiletRollSpread.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Likes davenn, Marzena, berkeman and 1 other person
DennisN said:

View attachment 258896

Were you one of those hogging all the toilet papers from the supermarket?:-p

Zz.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
ZapperZ said:
Were you one of those hogging all the toilet papers from the supermarket?
:smile:
I could barely make the pyramid shown in the gif, the rolls shown are all the rolls I currently have.
And I have used quite a bit of paper to blow my nose, as I have had a cold and a running nose for some time.
I actually haven't seen any shortage in any store here until yesterday. Yes, it seems we have some of the toilet roll frenzy here in Sweden too. :smile:

DennisN said:

View attachment 258896
Hmmm that's possibly slightly less infectious than COVID-19. Rho seems to be between 1 and 2. COVID might be from 2-3.5.

Likes DennisN
Final day to submit your "photo" for our first-ever animated GIF contest.

Zz.

1. What is an animated GIF?

An animated GIF is a type of image file that contains multiple frames or images that are displayed in sequence, creating the illusion of movement or animation.

2. How do I create an animated GIF?

To create an animated GIF, you can use a variety of software programs or online tools. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Giphy, and Canva. These programs allow you to import multiple images, arrange them in a sequence, and export them as an animated GIF.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of content I can submit for the photo contest?

The photo contest has a theme of "Animated GIF," so your submission should be an original animated GIF. Additionally, the content of your GIF should be appropriate and not violate any laws or community guidelines.

4. Can I use copyrighted material in my animated GIF submission?

No, we ask that all submissions be original and not include any copyrighted material. This includes images, music, or other media that you do not have the rights to use.

5. How will the winner of the photo contest be selected?

The winner of the photo contest will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of "Animated GIF." The winner will be announced on our website and social media channels.