Photo Contest - April Fool (3/31-4/6)

In summary: TheSwerve0: can you explain how this fits into the contest theme, please?TheSwerve0: can you explain how this fits into the contest theme, please?TheSwerve0: can you explain how this fits into the contest theme, please?In summary, the photo fits the contest theme because it is an optical illusion.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
April Fool!

Since April Fool is tomorrow, our contest this week will adopt that theme. Your picture must depict something that is not what it seems. It could be an optical illusion, a man dressing up as a woman (or vise versa), authentic-looking fakes, etc.. etc. You get the idea. Note, however, that you cannot submit a photo of another picture, painting, etc.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicely done, SpaceTiger. :approve:

Anti-gravity

http://bikeflat.com/albums/album10/DSC_2398b.sized.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceTiger,
your room looks just like a motel! Right down to the little stand with brochures in it. It's uncanny!

neutrino said:
Nicely done, SpaceTiger. :approve:

Thanks neutrino! The gf gets credit for the idea, though.
Chi Meson said:
SpaceTiger,
your room looks just like a motel! Right down to the little stand with brochures in it. It's uncanny!

It is a motel, we were on vacation in Florida. Why did you think it was my room?

I just can't sell the dry humor online.

Chi Meson said:
I was laughing!:rofl:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7333/img1158qo8.jpg [Broken]

Zz.

Jeez, Zapper. I don't know why I bother anymore!

I call it "picture with witty title"

http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/14727/2001954689473643813_rs.jpg

Chi Meson said:

hahaha, I know exactly how you feel.

Moe,

was that a photoshop or just a perfect mirror? OR do you have a twin and an extra severed two-handed arm between you?

I bet it was an extra severed two-handed home grown arm

oops is it not by the rules? -- it's just the left side of the picture mirrored to the right side... I thought it looks like two clones fighting over a two sided arm...

it most certainly has NOTHING to do with secret cia experiments in human mitosis! ... and i would certainly NOT be murdered if I mentioned anything about such experiments that do NOT exist in the first place.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
oops is it not by the rules? -- it's just the left side of the picture mirrored to the right side... I thought it looks like two clones fighting over a two sided arm...

From the contest rules:

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

Zz.

Soooooooooo wrong! At a hippie bluegrass concert in Golden Gate Park:tongue2:
bluegrassconcert-drunkenbaby2.jpg

So, what's odd about this one?

Chi Meson said:
So, what's odd about this one?

Phew! I'm glad you asked, because I've been trying to figure that one out too, and I thought I was the only one who didn't get it.

0TheSwerve0: can you explain how this fits into the theme?

Zz.

Theres a spliff missing from the guys fingers? The kid sure looks like he's had one.

Are you kidding? Is a baby drinking beer not uncommon? I'm sure he isn't, but it looks that way...

seriously guys, get out more:rofl:

When my 2nd son was about 3 he had a habit of grabbing any beer bottle he could get his hands on... he seemed to like it.

0TheSwerve0 said:
Are you kidding? Is a baby drinking beer not uncommon? I'm sure he isn't, but it looks that way...

Beer? I thought it was cough syrup! o:)

Zz.

As a reminder, you have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

You might think that this is winter in Maine, but it's not. It's a belated April Fool's joke courtesy of Mother Nature. It started snowing last night and the weathermen were promising us maybe 10" here and 14" in the upper elevations. Yeah, right! When I waded out to get the paper this morning (there was no paper BTW, due to the blizzard) there was already 18" of heavy wet stuff on the ground and it kept on snowing until noon and the footprints from my walk were almost obliterated. When it had tapered off, I went out and fired up the snowblower, only to find out that the snow was so heavy that the snowblower wouldn't budge it. I took off the drive shroud and repositioned the tensioner pulley to give the belt more wrap over the main pulley, and managed to get the machine to blow the snow. Good thing, or I'd be a heart-attack statistic trying to shovel this stuff. This picture is the view of our back deck at about 8:30 this morning, about 3-3.5 hrs before the snow finally tapered off. Sunday afternoon, my wife and I were sitting at the round glass-topped table at right-center, eating a late lunch of cheeseburgers and salad and soaking up the warm sunshine. Spring in Maine? Maybe sometime in June... BTW, the snow slid off the back pitch of the roof onto the deck and there is a big compacted pile of wet snow about 4' high. I'm taking a break from shoveling it now, and thought that this little storm was enough of an April Fool prank to fit the contest.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6462/deck650iy4.jpg [Broken]

0TheSwerve0 said:

Please note my boy, Ben, as an entry in a prior contest:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=159006

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest - April Fool?

The theme for this month's PF Photo Contest is "April Fool." This means we are looking for photos that capture the spirit and humor of April Fool's Day. Think pranks, jokes, and all things silly and absurd.

2. Who can participate in the PF Photo Contest - April Fool?

The PF Photo Contest - April Fool is open to all members of the scientific community. This includes scientists, researchers, students, and anyone with an interest in science.

3. How do I submit my photo to the PF Photo Contest - April Fool?

To submit your photo, simply post it on your personal social media account (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and tag it with #PFPhotoContest and #AprilFool. Additionally, you can also send your photo to our email at pfphotocontest@science.com with the subject line "April Fool Contest Submission."

4. How will the winner of the PF Photo Contest - April Fool be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, relevance to the theme, and overall aesthetic appeal. The winning photo will be featured on our website and social media channels, and the winner will also receive a prize.

5. When is the deadline for submitting photos to the PF Photo Contest - April Fool?

The deadline for submitting photos is April 6th. Any photos submitted after this date will not be considered for the contest. The winner will be announced on April 10th.