Photo Contest - Autumn (11/2-11/8)

In summary, the autumn photo contest has a theme of capturing the essence of autumn through photos such as fall foliage, pumpkins, and cozy sweaters. To submit a photo, one must visit the website and follow submission guidelines. Multiple submissions are allowed, but each must meet criteria. A panel of judges will choose a winner based on creativity, composition, and fit with the theme. The prize for the winner is a $100 gift card to a photography store and the winning photo will be featured on the website and social media.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Autumn

For many of us in the Northern Hemisphere, autumn is in full swing. So the theme this week is on this season of the year. Please make sure that there is a clear depiction of the season in your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
1572704262308.png

• Love
Likes davenn, WWGD, Wrichik Basu and 5 others
Elijah First Deer.jpg

• Skeptical
Likes davenn and berkeman
Currently living in a country that doesn't experience seasons, this one was hard. I found an old photo of mine of some shoes in an autumn colored tree, which hopefully meets the cut.

Fun fact: the shoes represent territory of drug dealers.

SHOES.jpg

• Wow
Likes berkeman
lekh2003 said:
Ookkkaaaayyyyy.

Very cute @Dr. Courtney -- is that your son? Autumn can be a time to re-stock the freezer and make jerky. :smile:

berkeman said:
Very cute @Dr. Courtney -- is that your son? Autumn can be a time to re-stock the freezer and make jerky. :smile:

Yes, my son. I was hoping someone would get the connection between fall and deer season.

Likes berkeman
Fall - 1.png

Likes marcusl, davenn, Borg and 3 others
Autumn by the church.
(I hope I haven't posted this in a previous contest thread, I don't think I have...)

49010647771_a5eb99ee96_c.jpg

Likes berkeman and morrobay
This flower is known as Kash in Bengali. It has a special importance in our culture, because its presence signifies the arrival of autumn and with it, the festival very close to our hearts, Durga Puja.

p1060971-1-jpg.jpg

Likes davenn, WWGD, morrobay and 3 others
Old Mill House at Babcock SP WV 400x800.jpg

Likes marcusl, WWGD, DrClaude and 6 others
Wrichik Basu said:
This flower is known as Kash in Bengali. It has a special importance in our culture, because its presence signifies the arrival of autumn and with it, the festival very close to our hearts, Durga Puja.

Is it flower, or ear with seeds? (ear, or perhaps spike? not sure about a correct English word here)

Borek said:
Is it flower, or ear with seeds? (ear, or perhaps spike? not sure about a correct English word here)
It is the flower of a grass-type plant. As per Wikipedia, the grass is Saccharum spontaneum.

JBA's pic doesn't look like anything else associated with Houston, Texas, though I've never been there, (nor felt the lack till I saw this :oldbiggrin: ).

epenguin said:
JBA's pic doesn't look like anything else associated with Houston, Texas, though I've never been there, (nor felt the lack till I saw this :oldbiggrin: ).

I have a picture from the Smokey Mountain that resembles that. So definitely does not look like a scene in Texas that I'm familiar with either. NE Texas maybe?

Zz.

lekh2003 said:
Currently living in a country that doesn't experience seasons, this one was hard. I found an old photo of mine of some shoes in an autumn colored tree, which hopefully meets the cut.

View attachment 252220
You may want to save that for another contest but I have no idea what type of contest that would be: Drug Dealers and their turf: Post quickly before getting a shank up your ribs?

WWGD said:
You may want to save that for another contest but I have no idea what type of contest that would be: Drug Dealers and their turf: Post quickly before getting a shank up your ribs?
Haha, its fine, I have plenty where that came from, so I don't think I'll ever run out of photos.

Likes WWGD
IMG_3369.JPG

Zz.

Likes Wrichik Basu, Borg, BillTre and 4 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

DSCN9215.JPG
(At birthplace of St. Joan of Arc).

Likes Wrichik Basu, fresh_42 and DennisN
:doh: Just struck me. I didn't know you had autumn in America, I thought you just had fall. If you have both is there any difference between them?

epenguin said:
:doh: Just struck me. I didn't know you had autumn in America, I thought you just had fall. If you have both is there any difference between them?
And I thought they had neither, only Indian Summer. Do they have all three of them, maybe even a Golden October?

epenguin said:
Yes, actually. Regional preferences for which name is used. Same season though: the one where the leaves fall.

Yes, actually. Regional preferences for which name is used. Same season though: the one where the leaves fall. For years I called the season "drop" so as to not have to choose between the other two.

Then there's the old chestnut, "Just two, _________, and construction." The blank is usually winter, but can be monsoon, or anything locally that forbids roadwork.

1. What is the deadline for the autumn photo contest?

The deadline for the autumn photo contest is November 8th.

2. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, you can submit up to 3 photos for the autumn photo contest.

3. Is there a specific theme for the autumn photo contest?

Yes, the theme for the autumn photo contest is autumnal landscapes and nature.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme.

5. Is there a prize for the winner of the autumn photo contest?

Yes, the winner will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on our website and social media pages.