Photo Contest - Bad Photo (7/7-7/13)

In summary, the "Bad Photo" category in the photo contest allows participants to showcase their most comically bad or failed photographs, adding a fun and light-hearted aspect to the competition. It is specifically for amateur or non-professional photographs that did not turn out as intended, and professional photographs will not be accepted. The winner will be chosen based on the most creative and humorous interpretation of the theme, taking into consideration the technical aspects of the photograph. Photos must be submitted as is, without any editing or alterations. There will be a prize for the winner of each category, including the "Bad Photo" category, which will be announced at the end of the contest.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Bad Photo

This has always been a popular theme, and it allows for everyone to participate because we all have taken bad photos before.

Your photo must be something that didn't turn out the way you expected. Maybe it is bad exposure, bad timing, bad lighting, not focused, or someone just walked right into your shot.

Please note that these bad photos must be something that was done ACCIDENTALLY, and not on purpose.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to add something like this to the wallpaper contest for principle reasons as we are a scientific forum, however, I wasn't really satisfied with the light: with or without flash, daylight or dark, the reflections of the blackboard simply dominated the shots.

upload_2018-7-7_15-34-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-7_15-34-43.png
    upload_2018-7-7_15-34-43.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 445
Sorry not that bad!o0)

BillTre said:
Sorry not that bad!o0)
It's wrong! I confused the coordinates!

Likes Demystifier
Well, I missed that, but it doesn't make it that bad of a picture.

I am can't even enter this contest. :cry: I toss my bad photos.

Likes davenn
runway.JPG

Taken from the rear row of a Cessna Caravan while coming in for a landing. The reflection in the windshield is in perfect focus, but the runway, which was what I was trying to get, is not.

Attachments

• runway.JPG
    runway.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 662
Likes davenn, BillTre and DennisN
I love the Bad Photo contest :smile:.
Janus said:
View attachment 227801
Taken from the rear row of a Cessna Caravan while coming in for a landing. The reflection in the windshield is in perfect focus, but the runway, which was what I was trying to get, is not.
And the lesson here is never fly a real airplane by camera?

I was at a music festival two days ago, and took a bunch of photos.
This is the Scottish rock band Sacred Paws.
At least I think so. The photo is a bit, just a bit, blurry, and three of the four band members seem to be looking down on the stage like they have lost their contact lenses.

41482456270_3ff5420ab5_c.jpg

Attachments

• 41482456270_3ff5420ab5_c.jpg
    41482456270_3ff5420ab5_c.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 391
Likes davenn and BillTre
DSC03686.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03686.JPG
    DSC03686.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 713
Likes davenn and DennisN
LLD1231 said:
Not too bad of a photo for everything in focus a little more DOF would do the job (Depth of Field)

on the other hand it is actually a VERY GOOD teaching photo for showing the effects of DOV for a given camera setting :smile:

Likes LLD1231
BillTre said:
…….

I am can't even enter this contest. :cry: I toss my bad photos.

Yeah, for the most part so do I, they are the first to be weeded out before the editing session fully gets under way

will have to see if I have anything to offer

davenn said:
Not too bad of a photo for everything in focus a little more DOF would do the job (Depth of Field)

on the other hand it is actually a VERY GOOD teaching photo for showing the effects of DOV for a given camera setting :smile:

Yeah, overall, it’s not bad. But despite everything, I think it’s a sucky photo. Lol.

IMG_3809.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 325
Likes LLD1231, DennisN, davenn and 1 other person
After searching a lot, I finally came up with this one (taken at the Indian Botanic Garden, Kolkata):

P1060885.JPG

My camera had slipped from my hands last year during a trip. I did not see this problem until very recently. The left side of the image is fully blurred, as if I had taken the photo from a moving vehicle. Actually, it is due to misalignment of the lens.

Attachments

• P1060885.JPG
    P1060885.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 339
Middle age crisis, that is an attempt to show that in 48 I'm still in good shape.
Photo0580.jpg

Attachments

• Photo0580.jpg
    Photo0580.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 317
Likes DennisN, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Final day to find your bad photo and post it here.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of the "Bad Photo" category in the photo contest?

The "Bad Photo" category allows participants to showcase their most comically bad or failed photographs, adding a fun and light-hearted aspect to the competition.

2. Can I submit professional photographs in the "Bad Photo" category?

No, the "Bad Photo" category is specifically for amateur or non-professional photographs that did not turn out as intended. Professional photographs will not be accepted in this category.

3. How will the winner be chosen for the "Bad Photo" category?

The winner will be chosen based on the most creative and humorous interpretation of the theme. The judges will also take into consideration the technical aspects of the photograph.

4. Can I edit my photo before submitting it to the "Bad Photo" category?

No, the photo must be submitted as is, without any editing or alterations. The purpose of this category is to showcase the original, unedited photo and its humorous flaws.

5. Will there be a prize for the winner of the "Bad Photo" category?

Yes, there will be a prize for the winner of each category, including the "Bad Photo" category. The prize may vary and will be announced at the end of the contest.