PF PHOTO CONTEST - Bad Picture 2 (10/1-10-7)

In summary, the last time we had this theme, it was a lot of fun, especially during the voting period. So we will recycle this theme. Post your technically bad picture here. It can either be over-exposed, blurry, under-exposed, wrong color hue, your finger accidentally in the pictures, etc.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Bad Picture 2

The last time we had this theme, it was a lot of fun, especially during the voting period (do I choose the best looking bad picture, or the worst looking bad picture?). So we will recycle this theme. Post your technically bad picture here. It can either be over-exposed, blurry, under-exposed, wrong color hue, your finger accidentally in the pictures, etc. These pictures must NOT be taken to be deliberately bad.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
yay! perfect timing!

This is a picture taken during my friend's goodbye party. she moved to Alberta to work, and we had a goodbye party for her at the local bar during karaoke night. it was a great night.

Anyway, this is a pic she took of me, she pressed "night mode" setting on my digital camera, which overexposes the frame, so any movement of the camera is recorded if you're not very still.

judging by the picture she had some trouble standing still :rofl:

{picture disqualified - Zz}

Last edited by a moderator:
Drat! Shouldn't have deleted all those bad ones :grumpy:, but moe's photo gives me an idea. Another forum I visit is running a similar 'assignment', but there, you create a good photo by 'breaking a rule'.

I'm not sure whether this would qualify or not. This is a photo from the start of the reel, where I just took a photo of whatever the camera happened to be pointing at without even looking, just to make sure the film is wound on properly. It isn't deliberately bad as it isn't deliberately anything...

I'll post it as a link now and img tag it if Zapper OKs it
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v257/matthyaouw/?action=view&current=CNV00001.jpg

You can use it, but what is bad about the picture? Overexposure of the flowers?

Zz.

Partly that, and partly that it was just an un-aimed shot in a random direction. I guess maybe I should use another. I have plenty more :wink:

Astronaut DUI. In your face, NASA! :tongue:

529720394_8f7425aa1b.jpg

Down in the photo is west. While I was (incorrectly) expecting the ISS to travel closer to the west (through Leo), it made a more easterly traversal. I had to hold the tripod at an angle so that the station would be in the frame, and I ended up with an ECG in the sky.

moe darklight said:
Anyway, this is a pic she took of me...

:uhh: Don't YOU have to be the photographer to enter the photo in the contest?

DRAT! I think I recently deleted most of the bad pictures off my computer. I had no shortage of them and finally decided it was time to clean up that mess. :frown: I'll look and see if any were spared, but they probably won't be the worst of my worst. :rolleyes: (I had some wonderfully bad :uhh: photos of a blurry cat that would have been perfect for the contest.)

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
Anyway, this is a pic she took of me, she pressed "night mode" setting on my digital camera

Rule #7 in the contest:

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else.

Zz.

This is from way back in early '90. We were on our way to fly in an airshow in Middle Wollop. We were allowed to fly right down the Thames (I've posted a picture of London Bridge from the same trip before). Very cool. I was snapping pictures as quickly as I could. I didn't even stop to see what I was shooting. This picture, although messed up, ended up being one of my favorites. It looks like I got two exposures of Buckingham Palace during some kind of ceremony. Perhaps the changing of the guard? I don't know. I'm still not quite sure how this happened since my camera had an autowinder on it and this was the only picture that this happened to.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5832/buckinghampalace1hc9.jpg

Like Moonie, I've erased many bad pictures (new camera=learning curve), but here's one that escaped. This mallard drake and his hen visited my back-yard pond often last spring and they terrorized the frogs, chomping on them and slamming them on the water. I got this guy in a pretty good pose, but left the camera in auto-focus mode, and the camera "thought" I wanted a nice crisp (overexposed) shot of the rocks, plantain stalks and other dead weeds.

blurryduck.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Like Moonie, I've erased many bad pictures (new camera=learning curve), but here's one that escaped. This mallard drake and his hen visited my back-yard pond often last spring and they terrorized the frogs, chomping on them and slamming them on the water. I got this guy in a pretty good pose, but left the camera in auto-focus mode, and the camera "thought" I wanted a nice crisp (overexposed) shot of the rocks, plantain stalks and other dead weeds.
Man. If I had a nickel for every time I did this one. Thank goodness for the delete button. I used to get so mad after having to pay for developing bad film.

FredGarvin said:
Man. If I had a nickel for every time I did this one. Thank goodness for the delete button. I used to get so mad after having to pay for developing bad film.
I bought a serious DSLR (Canon 30D w/ 100-400 IS L-series lens) this year, having sold some antique Winchesters to finance the kit. If I had the money that I've spent for film and processing over the last 40 years, I could have bought that equipment many times over. I have boxes and boxes (not little ones) full of negatives and prints, and it really made me mad to get my prints back and realize that I had made some beginner's mistake, like misjudging the depth of field, missing focus, improper exposure... No matter how many years of experience I had with my Olympus and Bronica systems, I could still find ways to mess up a shot.

Moonbear said:
:uhh: Don't YOU have to be the photographer to enter the photo in the contest?

ah! damn. disk-wall-O-fied. :cry: . sorry, my attention span isn't the best sometimes.

Last edited:
This is a shot of Grey's Monument in Newcatsle upon Tyne that is out of focus. I do quite like it however, and that's why I kept it.

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/2998/smonumentto7.jpg

It was taken from the entrance of the Theatre Royal for anyone interested.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6715/pict0063es3.jpg

A tribute to all the beer drinkers. I built the arch with empty beer boxes after stocking the cooler, but since I don't usually use a flash so the picture turned out blurry. I built several over a couple weeks but then once the main manager came in and got mad about it.

It's obvious why this is a BAD picture.

img6511ym8.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It's obvious why this is a BAD picture.

Zz.

True. You should've asked the bald guy in front to move away. :rolleyes:

Looks like Zz witnessed some sort of armageddon. Nice bad picture.

Evo said:
This is an old picture me dancing in my pajamas to "walk like an egyptian" in front of my girls.

Er.. who took the picture, Evo?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er.. who took the picture, Evo?

Zz.
Uhm, I could lie and say I set it on auto. :redface:

Evo said:
Uhm, I could lie and say I set it on auto. :redface:

Er... I need to talk to one of your daughters! :)

Zz.

IMG_1861.jpg

Not sure if a friend sticking his tongue into my beautiful picture of a Cathedral in order to annoy me qualifies as a technical mistake, but I think the result is pretty hilarious.

neutrino said:
True. You should've asked the bald guy in front to move away. :rolleyes:

:rofl:
Oh was it a blads gathering? At 1st I thought its a pic of a ghost, then I saw the blad guys...

physarrista said:
Not sure if a friend sticking his tongue into my beautiful picture of a Cathedral in order to annoy me qualifies as a technical mistake, but I think the result is pretty hilarious.

I've decided on my vote. :yuck: :tongue2: :tongue:

IMG_4254copy.jpg

Just call me Casper:smile:

0TheSwerve0 said:
Just call me Casper:smile:

That is a nice shot, actually. :)

Here we go again, a good-looking bad shot or a bad-looking bad shot? :confused:

Definitely not one of my worst (they've been deleted), but it seems I did still have a bad photo lurking about my photo albums. This one is from my Chicago trip and was supposed to be of the skyline...in my defense, I think I was already drunk on the cocktail cruise when I took this photo. :rolleyes:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5853/badphotowj4.jpg

(If Greg would like a photo entered on his behalf, for some reason, I still have some overexposed and blurry photos of strawberries, marshmallows and chocolate fondue on a plate that I think he took using my camera...and I don't think we had anything stronger than root beer by the time those photos were taken. :rofl:)

Edit: Psst...I think the contest runs from 9/1 to 9/7, not 10/1 to 10/7. :biggrin:

How do you pick a photo for this? I mean to I choose my worst bad photo or my best bad photo? Never mind.

This is why I need a tripod:
bad.jpg

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST is to encourage photographers to share their work and compete for prizes, while also promoting the field of photography.

2. How do I enter the contest?

To enter the contest, simply submit your photo through the designated entry form or via email during the specified time frame. Be sure to read and follow all submission guidelines.

3. What are the criteria for judging in the Bad Picture 2 category?

The Bad Picture 2 category is judged based on technical flaws such as poor lighting, composition, focus, or exposure. The photo should also evoke a sense of humor or irony.

4. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for each category. However, each photo must be unique and not previously submitted to the contest.

5. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who has an interest in photography, regardless of age or location. However, some contests may have specific eligibility requirements, so be sure to check the rules before entering.