Photo Contest - Bring Me A Flower (4/22-5/5)

In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of incorporating exercise into one's daily routine. The speakers emphasized the positive impact of exercise on both physical and mental health, and shared personal experiences of feeling more energized and productive after exercising. They also mentioned the importance of finding an exercise routine that works for each individual's schedule and preferences. Overall, the conversation highlighted the numerous advantages of making exercise a regular part of one's lifestyle.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
{Administrative Note: I'm about 5 hours away from flying off for my vacation. So the contest this week will run for 2 weeks instead of just 1.}

Bring Me A Flower

Flowers have been a very popular contest theme. We have had many glorious photos over the years whenever we touched on this topic. So why not do it again now, especially when a lot of things are blooming in the Northern Hemisphere.

However, for this topic, notice the singular name in the title. Your photo must have, as its main subject, ONLY ONE FLOWER! In fact, there must not be any other flower anywhere in the photo, not even an unfocused petal in the background. So not even parts of other flowers can be in the photo.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
However, for this topic, notice the singular name in the title. Your photo must have, as its main subject, ONLY ONE FLOWER! In fact, there must not be any other flower anywhere in the photo, not even an unfocused petal in the background. So not even parts of other flowers can be in the photo.
Darn, these contests are getting harder! :nb) But I think I have a photo..

Last edited:
33362290084_c34de3a6af_c.jpg

Likes berkeman, Evo and davenn
"A rose by any other name ..."

DSC_0017sm.jpg
Dave

Likes Evo and AlexCaledin
marzena_bring_me_a_flower.jpg

Likes Evo, davenn, fresh_42 and 1 other person
I have a freak twin eggplant bloom, but wasn't sure if you would disqualify it, so I decided to post this instead.

albeeinsquashpd9j.jpg

Likes epenguin, davenn and fresh_42
DSC_8387_zpsyesg32c9.jpg

Likes phinds, fresh_42, Evo and 1 other person
Technically not a flower (up to Zz to decide).

Borek said:
Technically not a flower (up to Zz to decide).
It's a flower that's gone to seed, so maybe, looks cool.

I'll accept Andy's photo.

Oh, hi from the Most Magical Place on Earth, btw.

Zz.

I have no problem with the fact it is not a flower, close enough. It was just my first thought when I saw the picture.

Likes fresh_42
Flower copy.JPG

Likes AlexCaledin and Evo
pop20.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin, Evo and fresh_42
2nc46md.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin, fresh_42 and Evo
2017.04.18.moms.last.present.png

Attachments

• 2017.04.18.moms.last.present.png
    2017.04.18.moms.last.present.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 408
Likes fresh_42
OmCheeto said:
Oh Om, I heard the screams, this spot was covered with flowers before OM came in with his clippers... :biggrin:

TomHart said:
Tom, You might want to re-read the rules. Zz will be the judge. Just a heads up. Beautiful picture though. We used to have an alternative picture thread for photos that didn't qualify.

Likes TomHart
jim hardy said:
Denver, this morning...

Unfortunately, this photo does not qualify. There are more than one single flower in the photo.

Zz.

TomHart said:

Please verify if this photo has been modified. Per our photo contest rules, anything other than resizing and cropping is not allowed.

Zz.

Hmmm I'm perhaps too literal.

So far I'm the only entrant to incorporate the transitive active verb 'Bring" from thread title.

Likes BillTre
ZapperZ said:
Please verify if this photo has been modified. Per our photo contest rules, anything other than resizing and cropping is not allowed.

I didn't really think this picture would be accepted. But it is kind of pretty so I thought I would post it just for fun. Here's the history. It's a photo of one of those crystals that has an image etched inside of it that rotates above some color-changing LED lights. It changes from green to blue to pink to orange . . . or whatever all the colors are. This photo was originally green in color. I wanted to post a photo that was blue, but none of the blue-flower photos were as well-focused as this one. And since I like the color blue better than green, I modified it (temperature, tint, etc.) to turn it blue. But since blue is one of the actual colors in the rotating LED-illuminated crystal, maybe it's still valid? Just kidding. Rules are rules. I think I'm probably also eligible for disqualification based on rule 7 - the intermediary rule.

jim hardy said:
Hmmm I'm perhaps too literal.

So far I'm the only entrant to incorporate the transitive active verb 'Bring" from thread title.

My intro post elaborates the intent of the theme. That is what you should focus on.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, this photo does not qualify. There are more than one single flower in the photo.
Fair 'Nuff.

old jim

magnolia.jpg

Likes BillTre
I was walking today and met this flower
g56lm.jpg

Likes Rubidium_71 and fresh_42
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Is this contest going to be fortnightly now, or were you just skiving off exercising your well-earned entitlement on the occasion of a public holiday? :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
He's been on vacation, traveling to the Kingdom of the Mouse. :cool:

Evo said:
Oh Om, I heard the screams, this spot was covered with flowers before OM came in with his clippers... :biggrin:
Nah. ZZ just seems to know when my flowers are going to bloom.

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to encourage people to capture and share beautiful images of flowers. It is also a way to celebrate the arrival of spring and appreciate the beauty of nature.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

Anyone can participate in the photo contest as long as they have a camera or a smartphone to capture the image of a flower. The contest is open to people of all ages and backgrounds.

3. What are the rules for the photo contest?

The rules for the photo contest are simple. The photo must be of a flower, and it must be taken between the dates of April 22nd and May 5th. The photo must be original and not previously published. Participants can only submit one photo per person.

4. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo for the contest, you can either post it on social media with the hashtag #BringMeAFlower or email it to the designated email address. Make sure to include your name, contact information, and a brief description of the photo.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500, and their photo will be featured on our website and social media platforms. There will also be runner-up prizes for the second and third place winners.