Photo Contest - Climb Every Mountain (4/7-4/13)

In summary, the photo contest aims to inspire people to share their love for mountain climbing through photography. It is open to all individuals regardless of age or background. To submit photos, participants must follow the instructions in the contest announcement. Multiple entries are allowed, but participants should check the rules and guidelines. Judging criteria may include creativity, composition, technical quality, and relevance to the theme. Specific details can be found in the contest announcement.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Climb Every Mountain

This week's theme is easy. It is on Mountain/s! A mountain, or mountains, should be the main subject of your photo.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first rays of the sun kissing the Kanchenjunga peak:

IMGA0634.JPG

Photo taken from Lungthung, Sikkim, India.

In case anyone is interested, more photos are here.

Read the full travelogue here. Look at posts by "Mousourik". The report runs through several pages.

Attachments

• IMGA0634.JPG
    IMGA0634.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 438
Likes lekh2003, DennisN, Charles Link and 4 others
There probably isn't a mountain in Scotland that can compete with Kanchenjunga. But, perhaps the Matterhorn can:

js1024_P01054.jpg

Attachments

• js1024_P01054.jpg
    js1024_P01054.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 383
Likes lekh2003, DennisN, Charles Link and 3 others
The mountains of Armenia are friendly and inviting.
serpentine.jpg

Attachments

• serpentine.jpg
    serpentine.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 705
Likes DennisN, davenn, Charles Link and 1 other person
Washington state in the U.S. certainly has its share of volcanoes, one of which is Mt. Baker. This peak isn't the largest at only about 10,750' in elevation, but it is probably my favorite. I've been to the top seven times. I took this picture on one of my earliest climbs, back in about 1984.
Alpenglow.png

Attachments

• Alpenglow.png
    Alpenglow.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 335
Likes DennisN, Charles Link, AlexCaledin and 1 other person
Mt Hood
Oregon State, USA
Photo'ed 2006

DSCF3301sm1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3301sm1.jpg
    DSCF3301sm1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 336
Likes Wrichik Basu, Mark44, DennisN and 2 others
kuruman said:
The mountains of Armenia are friendly and inviting.
View attachment 223562

that looks like one of those roads they film one of those trucking shows on where they are often very winding and impossibly narrow :eek:

davenn said:
that looks like one of those roads they film one of those trucking shows on where they are often very winding and impossibly narrow :eek:
It probably is. It connects Tatev monastery to civilization and the automobile ride up the mountain is one hour long. I went "by air" riding the "Wings of Tatev", which is the longest (5.7 km) reversible aerial tramway built in only one section and is in the Guinness book of records. The ride was only 10 minutes. I took the photo about halfway into the ride.

Likes davenn
Mt. Olympus, in Olympic National Park. I took this one in late September of 2014. Mt. Olympic isn't very high, at just less than 8,000', but it gets huge amounts of snow each year, accumulating glaciers up to 500' thick. The hike we were doing was seven days, covering about 55 miles. At one point we were much closer to Olympus, approximately two miles from it.
IMG_0854.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 298
Likes davenn, DennisN and Charles Link
Final few hours to post your photo for this contest.

Zz.

IMG_20170726_071143.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170726_071143.jpg
    IMG_20170726_071143.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 253

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to encourage people to showcase their love for mountain climbing and share their experiences and perspectives through photography.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

Anyone who has a passion for mountain climbing and photography can participate in the photo contest. It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds.

3. How do I submit my photos for the contest?

To submit your photos for the contest, you will need to follow the instructions provided in the contest announcement. This may include uploading your photos to a specific website or sending them via email.

4. Can I submit multiple photos for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, please make sure to read the rules and guidelines carefully to ensure that you are not exceeding the maximum number of entries allowed.

5. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The judging criteria for the photo contest may vary, but common factors that are usually considered include creativity, composition, technical quality, and relevance to the theme of the contest. Please refer to the contest announcement for more specific details about the judging criteria.