Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Photo Contest - Crop This Picture

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    This is an old snapshot I found at the swap meet:

[​IMG]

All it says on the back is "summer 1948".

I am thinking of doing a drawing of it, and just using that scrawled note as the title of the drawing, Summer 1948, but it feels like it needs cropping to improve the composition. I've tried cropping it several different ways, but none has seemed successful and satisfying.

I'm not really proposing a contest here, but thought it might be interesting to post it for anyone who felt like it to take it to Paint or whatever photo editing program you may have, and try cropping it to a more satisfying composition.

If you look closely you may be able to make out the name Patsy painted on the front fender of the bicycle. This is probably a snapshot of Patsy taken on a hot summer day in 1948 right before she rode her bike to the local swimming hole.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    Here you go, the bare essentials:

[​IMG]

I tried to make it look like a warhol...

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    Do you mean like:
    summer1948 a.jpg

summer1948 b.jpg

5. Aug 27, 2006 #4
    It does. It would SO never have occured to me to do that to it. Interesting choice.

6. Aug 27, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just crop only? or any other photoshopping as well? If the latter, you could end up with some serious weird submissions.

7. Aug 27, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No PhotoChopping except cropping (and some tinting).

[​IMG]

8. Aug 27, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

And one with a little more fun...
    [​IMG]

9. Aug 27, 2006 #8
    That last one is nice.

10. Aug 28, 2006 #9
    I'm not seeing anything here. It's probably easier if you just put the images into the thread from imageshack or photobucket.
    Anything goes if it suggests a model for a drawing called Summer 1948 from that snapshot.
    This is pretty much where I went with a final crop. It seems to make the most compositional sense. Still, it didn't make me feel satisfied.

This is nice. It creates a needed separation of the girl and more importantly, the bicycle from the background. You, Dave, could probably take this and draw it forcing some perspective into the bike so its front end seems closer to the viewer.

This points out a problem I find with the white shirt hanging off the bike. I'm thinking it would be better if the shirt were darker with richer folds, and maybe if it were striped or had some interesting pattern on it to make it into a kind of second character, a second, more minor center of visual interest.

11. Aug 28, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, so you think "Guess who stole Percy's bike?" wouldn't make a great title?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  12. Aug 28, 2006 #11
    :approve: :approve: :approve:

Hmm, this girl has very beautiful legs. They seem like a passage to paradise...HMMM i am dreaming again.

marlon

edit : she is quite tall as well , no ? If i were around in '48, she would be my sweetheart...

13. Aug 28, 2006 #12
    Wonder what the subject looks like now?

14. Aug 28, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps like this:

[​IMG]

15. Aug 28, 2006 #14

LOL :rofl:

16. Aug 28, 2006 #15
    I played with it a bit...
    Same basic crop as DaveC's (I left a little more on the right), some curve adjustments to add contrast and seperate tones a bit, and finally some quick and dirty "Pleasantville"-esque coloring in Photoshop CS (again, similar to DaveC's idea):
    [​IMG]

-GeoMike-

17. Aug 28, 2006 #16
    Are you suggesting Patsy stole Percy's bike, painted her own name on the front fender, and then sent a copy of this picture to Percy to cause her to burn with rage? What had Percy done to so provoke Patsy?
    Yes, she is awfully long legged for a babe from the 1940's, ain't she? We have to suppose that alot of small town boys were sneeking away from their chores to get to the water hole when Patsy went swimming.

ROFLMAO!!!!

18. Aug 28, 2006 #17
    AH! This is really nice. I'd been wondering what she'd look like in color. This is a definite possibility for a drawing: her in color and the background in geyscale.

19. Aug 28, 2006 #18
    Oh, I like that!

20. Aug 28, 2006 #19
    That is really impressive photoshop work. Makes me think the original was color and was turned to black and white for this thread!

21. Aug 28, 2006 #20
    I can see one of your attachments now.

You did something I wouldn't have done, which is to crop the top of the pic very close to the top of her hair, and to make the final image more square than rectangular.

This is pretty interesting and provides me with alternatives to unexamined assumptions I'm making about what is "right".

Edit: I can see your second attachment now. It's very like one version I cropped, the one that seemed the most balanced to me, though I hate losing the front of the bike. There's just not enough photo to her right to keep all the bike and still have her as the center of focus.

Here it is, larger sized:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?