• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
heman said:
This looks cool MIH....
Thanks. I like yours, too. What effects did you use to make it?

no sweats for me..i used a software Picasso..very easy to use...it took like around 5 minute...
but i guess you used Photoshop

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
heman said:
no sweats for me..i used a software Picasso..very easy to use...it took like around 5 minute...
but i guess you used Photoshop
yeah, just good old Photoshop. someone sent me a bunch of really cool photos this morning and I thought that particular one might make an interesting background for "Patsy". I layered her on top and then erased out the background to reveal the field. It was a quick and dirty job - maybe about 15 minutes work. I was a bit sloppy erasing around her hair and shoulder.

Math Is Hard said:
I was a bit sloppy erasing around her hair and shoulder.

Yup ...that was bit sensitive..but you did well..only reason i was afraid to cut her out was because i aint always good at cutting around boundaries..

By the way guys try this Freeware for Cropping,you guys gonna love it..in case if you haven't tried!
http://picasa.google.com/

I used MS paint, but you dont hear me braggin..............:uhh:

Man,,sharing something which you know can ease out the work for others is not bragging....

I also used photoshop until,Some guy on other forum told me abt. it..and lately i haven't used photoshop again..

Mk
GeoMike said:
http://www.mcschell.com/sum1948_color.jpg [Broken]

-GeoMike-
How did you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
How did you do that?

By stacking layers of paint in photoshop using various blend/transfer modes (mostly soft light, multiply, and color) at varying opacities.

This gif shows each layer as it gets stacked:
http://www.mcschell.com/color_1948.gif [Broken]

-GeoMike-

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an old geezer I haven't cropped anything since I sold my old photo enlarging equipment. Since this is from 1948 I think it would be good to go just high enough to get the old phone line in the pic. Ya gotta keep the "Patsy" on the bikes fender in the picture though.

What the girl is wearing is a bathing suit from the 40' era, and that shirt on the bike is most probably a terry cloth robe.

Math Is Hard said:
http://www.geocities.com/thesquarerootoftwo/percydream_sm.jpg
Trippy colors aside, this strikes me as the best composition: putting more landscape over to the right where Patsy is gazing. This allows keeping the front of the bike and the shirt. We could also keep more summer sky (minus telephone wires).

The picture that's forming in my mind now is one where there's quite a bit more realistic yard to the right. Over there, there might be seen part of a car appropriate to the period, a sleeping dog or cat, a push lawnmover, or whatever, in keeping with the "summer" atmosphere.

I also like having Patsy colorized as per GeoMike, and I like Heman's golden tint for the rest against a blue sky. If someone's clever enough to darken the shirt or even put some kind of pattern on it, it would be more to my taste. It is too white and I find the drapery details to be too washed out in the sunlight.

I'm not asking anyone to make a version putting all that together, I'm just summarizing what ideas everyone's efforts have given me.

It's neat to see people experimenting with this, and the unusual decisions are turning out to be more inspirational than the straightforward crops.

Last edited:
This thread has been fantastic! I have really enjoyed everyones views of this photo.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
http://www.geocities.com/thesquarerootoftwo/percydream_sm.jpg

or maybe "Percy's Trip" :biggrin:

MIH, that is absolutely wonderful!!!

...reminds me of Moses. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
The picture that's forming in my mind now is one where there's quite a bit more realistic yard to the right. Over there, there might be seen part of a car appropriate to the period, a sleeping dog or cat, a push lawnmover, or whatever, in keeping with the "summer" atmosphere.
I think that would make an excellent picture. You find so many cool "slice of life" photos, Zooby. I think the photos and drawings you do from them would make a very interesting book if you ever decided to make a project out of it. You could even write stories about the pictures - that would be neat!:cool:
hypatia said:
This thread has been fantastic! I have really enjoyed everyones views of this photo.
I agree. Fun stuff! And I really love that animation GeoMike made showing the layering of the colors.
Ivan said:
MIH, that is absolutely wonderful!!!

...reminds me of Moses.
ha ha! thanks.:biggrin:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, when does the contest close and go to vote?

DaveC426913 said:
So, when does the contest close and go to vote?
Me said:
I'm not really proposing a contest here, but thought it might be interesting to post it for anyone who felt like it to take it to Paint or whatever photo editing program you may have, and try cropping it to a more satisfying composition.
However, if you insist on voting on something, then here you go:

What's The Girl's Name?

A. Patsy
B. Percy
C. Other (Please specify.)

DaveC426913
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
However, if you insist on voting on something, then
Oh. I thought this was an entry in the ongoing photo contest.

:mad: This was the first one I actually felt I could participate in. Doh.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh. I thought this was an entry in the ongoing photo contest.

:mad: This was the first one I actually felt I could participate in. Doh.
Well, as far as the purpose of the thread goes, you are a winner. I got alot of insight into how Patsy and the bike could be separated from the background from seeing the higher contrast on her and the bike in your tinted version.