PF PHOTO CONTEST - Culture Club (3/29-4/4)

In summary, the theme of this week's photo contest is something that represents a particular ethnic culture. However, due to the diversity of cultures that are present on PF, it's difficult to find a picture that accurately represents the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Culture Club

Your picture this week must have, as its main subject, something that represents a particular ethnic culture. This could be an architectural element, costumes, activities, etc. The cultural elements must be clear and distinct.

Note that ethnic food does not qualify for this contest, since we regularly have food as a contest theme.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! This must be a difficult theme!

Zz.

Ok I will give one a try, See if you can guess the culture!

Picture061-1.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmm. all the plates say CUBA... is it from AFRICA?

ding ding ding A lot of the Carribean culture is.

Moroccan

img8662om3.jpg

Zz.

Sitges, Spain during siesta (note the closed shops and beer consumption! Only thing missing is tapas... or gelato).

IMG_2910.jpg

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest. Considering the cultural diversity that we have here on PF and, I assume, the diversity that we have in our lives, I'm a bit surprised there aren't a lot more picture submission.

Zz.

Seems I was overlooking the obvious choice here and entirely ignoring British culture :rolleyes:

No longer entered
A wish tree!
A Wish Tree is an individual tree, usually distinguished by species, position or appearance, which is used as an object of wishes and offerings. Such trees are identified as possessing a special religious or spiritual valual. By tradition, believers make votive offerings in order to gain from that nature spirit, saint or goddess fulfillment of a wish
One form of votive offering is the token offering of a coin.

This poor tree had a few too many offerings, and had died and fallen over...

Does this fit the theme?

Last edited:
matthyaouw said:
Does this fit the theme?

At this point, I'm no longer so sure.

The point of this theme is that if one were to simply look at a picture, one would have some culture in mind. I think, looking at a number of pictures submitted so far, it is kinda difficult to do that (I'm guessing that the picture that I submitted would at least invoke some reference to a particular culture).

Depending on what happens by the end of the submission period, I may have to decide if there are enough viable candidates that is in synch with the theme.

Zz.

2203468397_87661412dd.jpg

Good old British pubs, full of good old British socially acceptable alcoholism.

Last edited:
matthyaouw said:
If not, I've got a shot of a traditional English pub, if that's any better:
linky

Actually, that picture may be more relevant, or at least, popularly related to the Brits.

Zz.

Maybe the problem is multiculturalism, I'm not sure I'd be able to find a scene that was typically English any more. Maybe a tea shop, but that's just a cliché. Honestly if you asked me right now to go out of my house and find something quintescentially English. I'd have a hard time doing it. Even our historic buildings around here are either Saxon, Roman or French. Since England isn't really a united nation until after the Norman period they wouldn't really count as English, would they? Maybe if I lived in London I could take a picture of the houses of parliament or a beefeater. :smile: England and it's culture are a bastardized from of European cultures, as are most of Europe.

Have changed my submission:smile:

matthyaouw said:

Hehe, everyone one was thinking it but, it's not really quintescentially English, closing time violence, now that's sadly all too English. Pubs or inns came over with the Romans. :smile:

I see your dilemma with finding a pic. What people see as typically English and what actually is typically English are two very different things.

matthyaouw said:

matthyaouw said:
I see your dilemma with finding a pic. What people see as typically English and what actually is typically English are two very different things.

There's a bigger problem than that, I don't have any film in my camera. :smile: But yes it's hard to really find something that is truly quintescentially English. I suppose I could just go out to the country over the back of the hill and take a picture of a red phone box. But? Still a couple of days left, if I can get some film I'll go take a few snaps of the castles round here, if they're not English they at least are "English" if you see what I mean. :smile:

Hold on I've had an idea, what's the most quintescentially English thing about England... England, maybe a stirring scene, like something from the Haywain? That'd probably do?

Last edited:

1. What is the Culture Club theme for the PF Photo Contest?

The Culture Club theme for the PF Photo Contest is a celebration of diverse cultures around the world. We are looking for photos that capture different customs, traditions, and ways of life.

2. How do I enter the PF Photo Contest?

To enter the PF Photo Contest, simply post your photo on your Instagram account using the hashtag #PFCultureClub and tag @PFPhotoContest in the caption. Make sure your profile is public so we can see your entry.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the Culture Club theme?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the Culture Club theme. However, each participant is only eligible to win one prize.

4. Who can participate in the PF Photo Contest?

The PF Photo Contest is open to anyone who has a public Instagram account and follows @PFPhotoContest. We welcome entries from all levels of photography experience.

5. What are the prizes for the Culture Club theme?

The prizes for the Culture Club theme include a cash prize of $500 for the first place winner, $300 for second place, and $200 for third place. There will also be an honorable mention prize of $100.