Photo Contest - Dark Matter (7/13-7/19)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of Dark Matter, and is open to anyone with an interest in photography and science. Participants can submit multiple photos, but can only win one prize. The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and relevance to the theme. Prizes will be announced at a later date, but may include cash prizes and recognition from the scientific community. Participants may also have the opportunity to have their photos featured on the contest's website and social media platforms.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Dark Matter

Inspired by DennisN's suggestion, this week, our theme is on Dark Matter!

The subject will be on inanimate objects that are darker in color, all the way to being black in color. Those objects must be the main subject of your photo.

Extra points for those who actually captured photographic evidence of the actual Dark Matter.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gaboon ebony thin strips that I use in making laminated bowls
ebony thinwood 1 cropped.jpg

Likes davenn, berkeman and BillTre
My mini-studio for shooting fluorescent shots.
My orange filter would take out all the reflected UV (purple) and make everything non-fluorescent black.

Likes Klystron, Rubidium_71, davenn and 2 others

Low tide. Naklua bay/mudflat.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and davenn
ZapperZ said:
:oldlaugh:

ZapperZ said:
Hope that next week, you won't be asking for photos of quarks/gluons. :rolleyes:

Wrichik Basu said:
Hope that next week, you won't be asking for photos of quarks/gluons. :rolleyes:
That is easy. The resolution is the problem!

fresh_42 said:
That is easy. The resolution is the problem!
Not a problem for Zz. He would certainly find out a solution.

Here is a photo of the dark matter that gets detected by my body every day.

To the left: Liquid state of the dark matter.
To the right: Solid state of the dark matter. This may not be the original solid state; there are hypotheses that the powderlike structure shown in the photo is a result of the interaction between larger, beanlike structures and grinders.

It may also be worth noting that there are indications that too much concentration of the fluid state of this type of dark matter in the human body can lead to adverse effects like loose stools.

48291523392_3f6a8f3d04_c.jpg

• Haha
Likes scottdave, Klystron, BillTre and 6 others

Last edited:
Likes davenn, Wrichik Basu and BillTre
IMG_3208.JPG

Zz.

Likes Klystron, davenn and BillTre

Likes berkeman, Rubidium_71, davenn and 5 others
That's a beautiful photo, but kind of terrifying. It is a closeup of a housecat, right, @Andy Resnick? Not a panther or something?

Ibix said:
That's a beautiful photo, but kind of terrifying. It is a closeup of a housecat, right, @Andy Resnick? Not a panther or something?

Heh... indeed, our cat is a panther. And we nurture that delusion :)

Likes Ibix
Andy Resnick said:
I have new sympathy for mice...

Likes Klystron
Final day to hunt and submit your Dark Matter photo for this contest.

Zz.

Andy Resnick said:
But is it an inanimate cat, as per the rules for this contest?

I was about to submit a photo of a black cat myself, a few days ago, but at the last moment the word inanimate jumped out at me.

72901880-A278-4115-867C-A35B8234D917.jpeg

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Dark Matter". This refers to the hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up a large portion of the universe but cannot be directly observed.

2. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, you are allowed to submit multiple photos to the contest as long as they all adhere to the theme of "Dark Matter". However, only one photo per person will be selected as a winner.

3. How will the winners be chosen?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the quality, creativity, and adherence to the theme of the submitted photos. The judges' decision is final.

4. Is there an entry fee for the photo contest?

No, there is no entry fee for the photo contest. It is free to enter and participate.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may vary, but typically there will be a first, second, and third place winner. Prizes may include cash, photography equipment, or recognition on the contest's website or social media pages.