Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk (8/22-8/28)

In summary, the conversation was about someone being an expert summarizer of content and only providing summaries without responding to questions.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Dawn To Dusk

Your photo this week must show a scene indicating that it was taken either at dawn or at dusk. This is crucial and there should not be any ambiguity that the photo is depicting that moment of the day.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusk.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, DennisN, JD_PM and 4 others
etotheipi said:

Unfortunately, this photo looks like it was taken in the afternoon. The sun is still high above the horizon, which means that it was not at dawn or at dusk.

Zz.

Likes etotheipi
ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, this photo looks like it was taken in the afternoon. The sun is still high above the horizon, which means that it was not at dawn or at dusk.

Zz.
The color of the atmosphere says otherwise. It is only red if the sun beams travel a long way through it.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I seem to recall that it was taken pretty late, but to remove all possible ambiguity I'll try this one instead

View attachment 268162

Can you explain a bit about this photo? Did you crop it to end up with what appears as a panoramic shot?

Zz.

Likes etotheipi
docnet said:

docnet: similar question to you. Was this a single-shot photo that you crop, or using a wide lens, to end up having this pano shot?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
docnet: similar question to you. Was this a single-shot photo that you crop, or using a wide lens, to end up having this pano shot?

Zz.

It was taken using the "pano" setting on a iPhone 6s.

50255975078_6500854771_b_d.jpg

Likes docnet
etotheipi said:
For that one I just used the panorama button on my phone... I hope it's allowed :nb)!

docnet said:
It was taken using the "pano" setting on a iPhone 6s.

OK. A few things.

First of all, we have a dedicated contests for panorama photos. So I was hoping that we all get that out of our system in those contests.

Secondly, I think when I changed the rules to remove the size limitations on the photos, the rule against photo post-processing and image "manipulation" beyond resizing and cropping was accidentally left out. So as it stands now, there's nothing against the rule for you to use those panoramic shots in this contest.

Finally, I've always struggled trying to define the technical limitations for the photo contest since the very beginning. The spirit of the contest is that you take a standard photo with as minimal processing as possible, so that it is mainly about aesthetic composition, etc. and less about image manipulation (notice I didn't say no image manipulation). I am fully aware that digital images, by its nature, has some form of processing, settings, etc. especially raw files, but I'm trying to draw the line at something beyond that, and that includes using panoramic capability.

So for this contest, if you wish to keep those, they are fine.

Zz.

Likes DennisN and berkeman
ZapperZ said:
First of all, we have a dedicated contests for panorama photos. So I was hoping that we all get that out of our system in those contests.
I'll use this picture instead.
IMG_1326.jpeg

Likes atyy, davenn, Ygggdrasil and 4 others
Hi, Zz, I've got a photo too large, and no idea how to make it 1 Mb or less. It's 1,4 Mb.
Greetings!

img-823020541.jpg

From Cambodia looking West across border river with Thailand

Likes atyy, mathwonk, BillTre and 4 others
DSCN1866.JPG

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, jim mcnamara, berkeman and 7 others
island sunset.jpg

Likes docnet, Algr, mcastillo356 and 1 other person
2012-01-01 17.04.07.jpg

Photo of a sunset at Half Moon Bay, south of San Francisco.

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, docnet, Rubidium_71 and 4 others
docnet said:
I'll use this picture instead.
A very cool photo, to me it looks a bit like a painting.

Likes docnet
Sunset; the city at the horizon is Copenhagen.

50260484776_a5e02f539d_c.jpg

• Love
Likes rsk, Fervent Freyja, docnet and 4 others
Hi ZZ:

I am not a photographer, but I find your contests generally quite interesting. I am just wondering about the concept of dawn and dusk you are using. Wikipedia is quite specific.
For both dawn and disk the sun must be between 6 degrees and 18 degrees below the horizon.

Regards,
Buzz

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi ZZ:

I am not a photographer, but I find your contests generally quite interesting. I am just wondering about the concept of dawn and dusk you are using. Wikipedia is quite specific.
For both dawn and disk the sun must be between 6 degrees and 18 degrees below the horizon.

Regards,
Buzz

Technically, that's correct. But I'm not going to pull hairs about that. It's bad enough that some people think "dusk" or "dawn" is defined by the color of the sky.

Anything with the sun close enough to the horizon will be fine for this contest. It will be a judgement call.

Zz.

Likes russ_watters
ZapperZ said:
It's bad enough that some people think "dusk" or "dawn" is defined by the color of the sky.
Basic physics.

Ok, so just to be clear. We can use here sunrise/sunset photos rather than a strict dawn/dusk definition?

Hi, Zz, can I post this thread with a photo of 1,4 Mb, as an attached file?. I don't manage to reduce it and send it with Google Photos free software.
Regards,
Marcos

Dusk after storm.jpg

• Love
Likes docnet, DennisN, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, Zz, can I post this thread with a photo of 1,4 Mb, as an attached file?. I don't manage to reduce it and send it with Google Photos free software.
Regards,
Marcos

There's plenty of free app's out there
The one I have used for the last 20+ years is IrfanView -- great for resizing and compressing, converting to other formats etc

https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Thanks!

Likes davenn
Tough choice, but to avoid any uncertainty, I picked one which is definitely after sunset.

DSCF0748a-XL.jpg

Likes atyy, Fervent Freyja, Algr and 4 others
rsk said:
Tough choice, but to avoid any uncertainty, I picked one which is definitely after sunset.

View attachment 268421

wow, nice photo. location?

Likes rsk
Cádiz, Southern Spain. My 2nd choice for this was a sunset from Cadiz, maybe even the same day. I was living in Málaga and had a nice view from my window of sunrise and moonrise, so to be in a place where I could see the sunset was a novelty.

Likes atyy and mcastillo356
0.jpg

Arriaga Theater, Bilbao, Basque Country, a few days ago; picture taken around 21.00 hours

Likes Rubidium_71, morrobay and docnet
E3168175-44DA-48A0-9FD5-C6134B28CC4A.jpeg

Likes mathwonk, morrobay, rsk and 5 others
dusktodawn.jpg

Likes Fervent Freyja, docnet and rsk
oops,, late to the party. my apologies.
7-30 sunset x-large.jpeg
September update: For several days now, this view has been invisible. One can see only gray smoke from the same place where this photo was taken, no water, no mountains, no sun, no sky. The air quality index at this location in the Pacific NW is currently 269, compared to 109 in Bombay and 132 in Beijing. This is 180 miles away from the fires in Oregon generating the smoke. If this can strike here in the historically rainy and cool NW, presumably it may eventually reach anywhere. Best wishes to all of you.

(AQI 269: Dangerous: Any exposure to the air, even for a few minutes, can lead to serious health effects on everybody. Avoid outdoor activities.)

Last edited:
Likes KWolf12, atyy, Rubidium_71 and 3 others

1. What is the purpose of the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk?

The purpose of the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk is to encourage photographers to capture the beauty and unique qualities of the transition from dawn to dusk in their photos. It is also a way to showcase the different perspectives and creativity of photographers.

2. Who can participate in the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk?

The Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and a camera to capture their photos. It is not limited to professional photographers and is open to amateurs and hobbyists as well.

3. How do I submit my photos for the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk?

To submit your photos for the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk, you can follow the guidelines and instructions provided by the organizer. This may include submitting your photos through a designated platform or email address, along with any necessary information or captions.

4. What are the judging criteria for the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk?

The judging criteria for the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk may vary depending on the organizer. However, some common criteria may include creativity, composition, technical skills, and how well the photo captures the theme of dawn to dusk.

5. Can I edit my photos before submitting them for the Photo Contest - Dawn To Dusk?

Some Photo Contests may allow minimal editing, such as adjusting brightness or contrast, while others may have stricter rules. It is important to carefully read the guidelines and rules of the specific Photo Contest to ensure that your photos meet the requirements.