Photo Contest - Electricity (1/4-1/10)

In summary, the purpose of this photo contest is to showcase the beauty and impact of electricity while also promoting responsible and sustainable use. It is open to both amateur and professional photographers who can submit up to 3 unique photos that capture the theme of electricity in a creative and visually appealing way. Judges will consider originality, creativity, composition, relevance, and technical aspects in their evaluation.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Electricity

I'm curious to see how you all tackle this theme.

Electricity is something that many students learn about in school, and it is something all of us are familiar with in our daily lives, even if we don't often think about it, except that when it is not there.

But is there a way to capture this theme in a photo? Please note that if your photo requires a detailed explanation on how it relates to the theme, chances are that it does not qualify. So please keep that in mind.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
electric2.jpg

Zz.

Likes DennisN, davenn, morrobay and 1 other person
maine_yankee_1997_small.jpg

Maine Yankee c. 1997
Cell-phone shot of the print, the print is much sharper :frown:

Likes morrobay
gmax137 said:
Cell-phone shot of the print, the print is much sharper :frown:
Means you took a snap of a printed photo? But the rules say...
ZapperZ said:
7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

Really? I took the original film shot, I printed it in my basement, and now (23 years later) I'm showing it to you.

Likes Wrichik Basu
ZapperZ said:
Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo

@ZapperZ I used my cell phone to make a digital scan of my photo. Is this really not within the rules?

gmax137 said:
@ZapperZ I used my cell phone to make a digital scan of my photo. Is this really not within the rules?

Did you take the original photo? I need to make sure that is clarified.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Did you take the original photo? I need to make sure that is clarified.
Yes I did take the original photo.

gmax137 said:
Yes I did take the original photo.

then the scanned photo qualifies.

Zz.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and gmax137
Image3.png

Likes davenn and morrobay
berkeman said:
Zowie. Can you describe your photo? :smile:

The Tesla coil at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

Zz.

Likes DennisN and davenn
1578456534053.png

Shrimp and squid in electric wok

Likes DennisN
electricity.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, DrClaude, DennisN and 2 others
@Janus : You beat me to it! :biggrin: I have one of those at home and was thinking of photographing it, but now I will think of something other to post.

@Dr. Courtney : Nice Telecaster. :smile:

2015_03_11_3289asm.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Likes Bystander, BillTre, Rubidium_71 and 6 others
Electricity (actually a bit too much of).

marcin_electricity.jpg

• Haha
Likes Rubidium_71, davenn, BillTre and 3 others
Borek said:
Electricity (actually a bit too much of).
Looks like a small factory produced some magic smoke there. :smile:

A small and cheap, but quite nifty component tester with display:

49359073682_0c99dbdbb7_c.jpg

Likes davenn, berkeman and morrobay
DennisN said:
Looks like a small factory produced some magic smoke there. :smile:

Yep. Entirely my fault. This was a PT4115 based LED driver. PT4115 has two inputs, one is for power (up to 36 V if memory serves me well, I was using 12 V from a LiPo battery), the other one is a logic level 5 V PWM for switching/dimming. Turned out 12 V for logic level is an overkill.

Likes DennisN
20191024_153743----------.jpg

A damaged circuit board. I was testing it with a line tester (maybe 5 or 6 years back) while it was connected to the mains, and due to a short circuit, the track blew off. Last year, I used this to practice soldering; you can see the flux still sticking near the middle and bottom of the board.

Likes BillTre
IMG_9674.jpg

Likes davenn, BillTre, Dr. Courtney and 2 others
Hydroelectric power.
hydro copy.jpg

Likes morrobay, davenn, BillTre and 2 others
Final day to electrify the members of this forum with your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Likes BillTre
DSC_1445-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, jtbell, Borg and 1 other person
31440572951_e3b7e9ca8a_c_d.jpg

Likes BillTre and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest on electricity?

The purpose of the photo contest is to raise awareness and promote the use of electricity in innovative and sustainable ways. It also aims to showcase the beauty and impact of electricity in our daily lives.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and an interest in electricity. It is not limited to scientists or professionals, and amateur photographers are encouraged to participate.

3. What types of photos are eligible for the contest?

Photos that showcase the theme of electricity in any form, such as renewable energy sources, electrical appliances, power plants, or people using electricity, are eligible for the contest. However, photos that promote unsafe or illegal practices with electricity will not be considered.

4. How are the winners chosen for the photo contest?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the quality, creativity, and relevance of their photos to the theme. The judges may also take into consideration the number of votes a photo receives through social media platforms.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may vary, but they can include cash prizes, photography equipment, or recognition in a scientific publication. The specific prizes will be announced before the start of the contest.