Photo Contest - Flotation Device (7/14-7/20)

In summary, the photo contest theme is "Flotation Device" and the submission period is from July 14th to July 20th. Participants can submit multiple unique photos and anyone is eligible to participate except for employees and immediate family members of the contest organizers. Winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme, and will be announced on July 25th.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Flotation Device

The theme this week is on things that float on the surface of water. This can be anything from a humongous cruise ship to a kayak to a rubber ducky to a dead leaf. The object must be floating in the picture, so a photo of a ship in a dry dock does not qualify.

Animals swimming in water, such as fish, also do not qualify. However, a dead fish that is floating on the surface of water does! Go figure!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
yellowsub.jpg

"We all live on a tour boat that looks somewhat like a Yellow Submarine"

Attachments

• yellowsub.jpg
    yellowsub.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 385
Likes AlexCaledin, OmCheeto, BillTre and 2 others
DSC07025.JPG

Attachments

• DSC07025.JPG
    DSC07025.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 289
Likes AlexCaledin, OmCheeto, Rubidium_71 and 1 other person
While the fish are indeed below the water, the mighty duck floats above them...
duck.jpg

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 287
Likes Wrichik Basu, dRic2, AlexCaledin and 9 others
container ship about to enter Port Botany, Sydney, Oz

boat.jpg

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 304
Likes AlexCaledin, OmCheeto, LLD1231 and 2 others
floating---1.jpg

Attachments

• floating---1.jpg
    floating---1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 256
Likes berkeman, AlexCaledin, davenn and 4 others
Given that half of my pictures are of things floating on a river, I'll just post the last one I took:

2018.06.24.sailboat.pf.png

Attachments

• 2018.06.24.sailboat.pf.png
    2018.06.24.sailboat.pf.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 292
Likes DennisN, BillTre, AlexCaledin and 2 others
the evening ferry heading (across and upstream the Volga) for Samara's ferry wharf from Rozhdestveno (="the Christmas village")
e5413325_o.jpg

Attachments

• e5413325_o.jpg
    e5413325_o.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 278
Likes davenn, LLD1231, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
These small boats are special to Bengal and Bangladesh. This was taken in Murshidabad:

IMGA0234.JPG

Attachments

• IMGA0234.JPG
    IMGA0234.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 274
Likes AlexCaledin, kuruman, berkeman and 6 others
On the river Havel in the outskirts of Berlin.

float2.jpg

Attachments

• float2.jpg
    float2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 230
Likes AlexCaledin, berkeman, LLD1231 and 1 other person
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

I'm not going for cute pictures of boats or animals. This is chicken fat floating on homemade broth. Yeah!

IMG_7018.jpg

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_7018.jpg
    IMG_7018.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 233
Likes AlexCaledin, BillTre, jtbell and 1 other person
You think of floating as passive, but sometimes it has to be active.
DSCN7361.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN7361.jpg
    DSCN7361.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 454
Likes AlexCaledin
epenguin said:
You think of floating as passive, but sometimes it has to be active.View attachment 228225

Just so you know, the submission period for this contest has ended.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Just so you know, the submission period for this contest has ended.

Zz.
Yes, however I did submit the picture yesterday well in time, having spent a lot of time working on it. Then it was presented as a link that as far as I know anyone could have seen it if they clicked it.
The problem was while the photo was in theme, to anonimise the person whom I do not know. Which I had never done before using my Mac and had to find out and download the new software called Skitch. So made it into a picture of flotation with not the particular person but just someone, which I think is okay. Then I could not find a way to put the pic up as I usually do, and had to content myself with a link which is I said I think was visible. Today I spent some more time and ingenuity it seemed to me because I am backwards in these things, to make it immediately visible.

So I hope you can now include the pic in the competition, if not amen.

epenguin said:
Yes, however I did submit the picture yesterday well in time, having spent a lot of time working on it. Then it was presented as a link that as far as I know anyone could have seen it if they clicked it.
The problem was while the photo was in theme, to anonimise the person whom I do not know. Which I had never done before using my Mac and had to find out and download the new software called Skitch. So made it into a picture of flotation with not the particular person but just someone, which I think is okay. Then I could not find a way to put the pic up as I usually do, and had to content myself with a link which is I said I think was visible. Today I spent some more time and ingenuity it seemed to me because I am backwards in these things, to make it immediately visible.

So I hope you can now include the pic in the competition, if not amen.

I did not know that that was your submission. I presumed you know the criteria for submission since you're quite familiar with it by now, so I never looked at any link (since those do not follow the rules of the contest) in the contest thread. That is why I never included any submission by you.

The contest thread had already been made, and this submission is outside of the contest period. So unfortunately, it cannot be included.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Flotation Device". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that showcase different types of flotation devices, such as life jackets, pool noodles, or inflatable rafts.

2. How long is the submission period for the photo contest?

The submission period for the photo contest is from July 14th to July 20th. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered for the contest.

3. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos to the contest. However, each photo must be unique and cannot be a duplicate or a near-duplicate of any other submitted photo.

4. Who is eligible to participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, location, or profession. However, employees and immediate family members of the contest organizers are not eligible to participate.

5. How will the winners be selected for the photo contest?

A panel of judges will review all submissions and select the winners based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The winners will be announced on July 25th and will be notified via email or social media.