Photo Contest - Going Up (9/16-9/22)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Going Up" and submissions should capture images of progress or upward movement. To enter, submit your photo through the designated website or social media platform before the deadline. There may be specific rules and requirements for the photos, so be sure to read the contest details carefully. Winners are typically chosen by judges or through a voting system based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. Prizes can vary and may include cash, gift cards, or recognition.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Going Up!

This week, our theme is on something that takes you up higher in elevation. It can be a set of stairs, an elevator, or even an airplane.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
GoingUp.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin and stoomart
jtbell said:
You beat me too it, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Best way to go up Mystic Mountain in Jamaica.
DSCN1071.JPG

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin and fresh_42
This took people up as high as they've ever been.
APOLLO.jpg

Likes DrClaude and AlexCaledin
Sheesh- we all have the same idea!

DSC_1447_zpsiqwrohwx.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and AlexCaledin
37179912606_f0e21bcacb_c.jpg

Likes stoomart, AlexCaledin and fresh_42
marcin_going_up.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin
jtbell might recognize this view of another way to go up around these parts:

2014.05.17.one.way.to.get.up.to.OHSU.png

Portland Aerial Tram, ≈May 17, 2014​

ps. Guessing that the right hand car is only 1000 feet away, as I can't spot the left hand car, without magnifying the image.
pps. Fun fact: The 3,300 foot trip takes ≈3 minutes, which was the original trip time of the original elevator that jtbell posted, to travel about 90 feet.

"The elevator opened to the public in 1915... . The original elevator was water-powered and took three minutes for the ride. " [ref]
The tram started operating in 2006, 91 years later.
ppps. Fun fact #2: Although only about 10 miles from my house, I have no recollection of ever having heard of the elevator until he posted that on Sunday.

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

6iwvwi.jpg

OmCheeto said:
jtbell might recognize this view of another way to go up around these parts:
I just happened to notice this comment more than 5.5 years later :oops: while perusing the whole contest thread after checking the recent link I made to it from this post.

I do indeed recognize the view. In fact. I took a picture from probably the same spot, on a different day during my visit to Portland in 2016:

EastFromTop.jpg

Some other pics from that trip are here.

Likes OmCheeto and DennisN

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Going Up", which can be interpreted as capturing images of things or people moving upwards or progressing in some way.

2. How can I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, you can typically submit your photo through the designated website or social media platform mentioned in the contest details. Make sure to follow all guidelines and submit your photo before the specified deadline.

3. Are there any specific rules or requirements for the photos?

Yes, there may be specific rules and requirements for the photos, such as size, resolution, and file format. Make sure to read the contest details carefully before submitting your photo to ensure it meets all the requirements.

4. How are the winners chosen for the photo contest?

The winners of the photo contest are typically chosen by a panel of judges or through a voting system. The criteria for judging may include creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest can vary, but they may include cash prizes, gift cards, or recognition and exposure for your work. Make sure to check the contest details to see what prizes are being offered.