Photo Contest - Gone But Not Forgotten (6/14-6/21)

In summary, the contest is for pictures of objects, persons, structures, natural wonders, etc. that were once present, but no longer are. Pictures must be digital photos or scanned photos, and must be roughly 650 x 490 pixels. Only one picture per member is allowed. The voting process will be done in more than one thread, and the winners will be announced at the end of the contest.
ZapperZ said:
Then you should find another one.

:)

Zz.
Mightn't that depend on what was on fire and if it was completely destroyed? :uhh: This is definitely a challenging category. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Mightn't that depend on what was on fire and if it was completely destroyed? :uhh: This is definitely a challenging category. :biggrin:

Yes, then he needs a picture of the stuff that was on fire, not just the picture of the smoke.

Zz.

chroot said:
"Tent city" of over 1200 tents in the Harvey West Park, Santa Cruz, CA, June 4th, 2006. This was the first campsite of AIDS/LifeCycle 5.

The following morning, all the tents were taken down and shipped to the next campsite. This was repeated on each of the seven nights along the 550-mile route.

- Warren

Contest Rules:

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels.

Thank you.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels.

Done. Sort of arbitrary though, no?

- Warren

chroot said:
Done. Sort of arbitrary though, no?

- Warren
Doesn't make the picture wider than the page. :biggrin: Maybe it's different on a really big monitor, but the photos that are larger than the contest size are obvious because they stretch the page wider than my screen.

Now, how is anyone supposed to compete with your photo anyway? That's just not fair having something recent enough to use digital photography when the rest of us are scanning in ancient photos from when we were kids! :grumpy: :tongue:

Would a photo of a solar eclipse or the Venus transit count?
probably not...

larkspur said:
Would a photo of a solar eclipse or the Venus transit count?
probably not...

Hum... I had to think a little bit on that one.

My first inclination is to say no. The whole idea here is that there was something "semi-permanent" that is now no longer around. Something that, by its nature, continues to change, or appear and disappear, does not qualify.

And yes, I know this is a tough theme. But this is where you have to get creative when you go over all the pictures that you already have.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then you should find another one.

:)

Zz.

:confused: I guess you are thinking more of objects? A fire seemed appropriate.

brewnog said:
Scorpa, that's fantastic! Keepy keepy keepy, me and Danger have big plans for that heap of junk!

Thanks! It would definitely be an awesome project...got more money than I have right now though, maybe someday :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
:confused: I guess you are thinking more of objects? A fire seemed appropriate.

Again, the problem here is that a "fire", just like icicles, clouds, etc.. are all, by nature, stuff that changes, appear/disappear, etc.

I think that's why I gave some examples of what would qualify in the spirit of the theme when I posted it. I would prefer something that most of us can identify. The WTC buidling is a good example. What about the flooded Glen Canyon that has forever been destroyed/submerged? Short of that, anything sort of semi-permanent that didn't disappear or change due to its nature. A fire disappears because that its nature and people are around to put it out.

I hope that has clarified a bit on the theme. I can only hope that other theme won't be as difficult as this one. :)

Zz.

06-06-2006 is gone but not forgotten :biggrin:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9062/170a7rt.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
heartless said:
06-06-2006 is gone but not forgotten :biggrin:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9062/170a7rt.png [Broken]
[/URL]
Good one Heartless!

But... don't dates come and go, changing naturally, just as icicles and clouds?

I don't think anyone yet can figure out (or has strictly met) ZapperZ's intentions on this. :rofl:

- Warren

The problem is that we have a group of eccentric artists taking license. :biggrin:

I have an idea: The picture should overtly display the theme. Even an observer who doesn't know the theme of the contest should feel a hint of nostalgia.

Knavish said:
I have an idea: The picture should overtly display the theme. Even an observer who doesn't know the theme of the contest should feel a hint of nostalgia.

Yeah, that's a completely objective way of looking at it... :devil:

- Warren

I can only go so far in trying to make sure the pictures conform to the theme. In the end, it really is up to all of you, when you dish out your votes, on what picture you like best that you consider to fit the theme.

So keep that in mind when it's time to vote! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, it isn't, because technically you are submitting more than one picture.

Drat! I thought your pictures were terrific too! :( Crop it, integral!

Zz.
Opps... I missed this. I thought I might be pushing the limitsl. Consider it cropped!

chroot said:
But... don't dates come and go, changing naturally, just as icicles and clouds?

I don't think anyone yet can figure out (or has strictly met) ZapperZ's intentions on this. :rofl:

- Warren
I took it as a jab at a bad movie that came and went quickly.:smile:

This is a reminder that you have just 2 days left to submit a picture for this contest.

Zz.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4209/pfwideglide4qu.jpg [Broken]
Here is my "Gone But Not Forgotton" My old '85 Wide Glide with heads reworked by guru Dave Perewitz, EV3 cams, S&S Super E racing carb with Doug Yost pre-atomizer in the venturi, K&E air filter, high-flow fuel system, low-restriction exhaust pipes with anti reversion throats, and some pretty "out there" paint (notice that the yellow stipes are "shattering", spreading "chips" over the flames). It took me years to get it "just right". I sold it because my wife's back was bothering her on long rides (even with a comfy Mustang touring-type saddle), and I bought a big honkin' Road King touring bike instead, thinking that would help her back. Her back still bothered her until she found a doctor that knew what he was doing, and now she wears an orthopaedic lift in one shoe to correct her posture (she has to stand as she works). No more back pain. I sold the Road King and bought a new Softail last spring (more my style), but I really miss my Wide Glide. :cry:

turbo-1 said:
I took this picture on a crisp fall day (thus the gloves on the seat) with lots of beautiful colors everywhere, but when I printed the picture, the foliage clashed with the bike so I photoshopped the color out of the scenery and left only the colors on the bike. The black and white background looks kind of old-fashioned and for some reason, looking at this picture bothers me worse than looking at the original with the full-color background.

Er... Rule #2 in our contest reads:

PF Photo Contest Rules said:
2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

Zz.

Sorry about that - I have replaced it with the full-color original.

Wow Turbo that bike is beautiful!, I'll bet you regret the day you ever sold that one. Wide Glides are one of my favorite bikes and that is a very very fine specimen :)

I've been trying to find a pic of the hair that used to be on the top of my head. :grumpy:

Couldn't you just have Tsu take a shot of your ass and draw some eyeballs on it?

Ivan Seeking said:
I've been trying to find a pic of the hair that used to be on the top of my head. :grumpy:

It's been that long since you had hair, has it? You have to pull the albums from the 70's out of the garage to find pictures of it?

- Warren

No, but if I go back to the 70's pics you might get to see me in my Angel Flight disco pants. :uhh:

scorpa said:
Wow Turbo that bike is beautiful!, I'll bet you regret the day you ever sold that one. Wide Glides are one of my favorite bikes and that is a very very fine specimen :)
Yes, I really miss that machine. I like my Softail ('05, with a fuel-injected Dual Cam engine), but it is nowhere near as quick as that old Wide Glide. When I bought the Wide Glide (used), it was loaded with bolt-on chrome junk, running too rich, backfiring, fouling plugs, etc. I stripped it down, replaced the gaudy "bike bling" with more laid-back stuff (or nothing at all), and then started working on the performace. When I got it looking and running right, the former owner's biker friends were riding him pretty hard for selling it and getting a bagger.