Photo Contest - Gravity (4/30-5/13)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Gravity" and is open to anyone with access to a camera. Each participant can submit up to 3 photos, and the winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity and relevance to the theme. The prize for winning will vary and will be announced before the contest begins.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gravity

This week's contest will run for 2 weeks, and the winner will get a prize! The prize will be the book "https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307958191/?tag=pfamazon01-20" by Jenna Levin. Greg will add more to this, and will contact the winner to make further arrangements.

To commemorate the book giveaway, our theme this week will simply be "Gravity". Let's see if you can be creative with that.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
To commemorate the book giveaway, our theme this week will simply be "Gravity".
Hopefully many will be weighing in on this to make it a massive competition...:smile:

Likes berkeman, PAllen, greswd and 4 others
DennisN said:
Hopefully many will be weighing in on this to make it a massive competition...:smile:

{Groan!}

Zz.

Likes DennisN and ProfuselyQuarky
38334_807370925298_5995992_n.jpg

Likes Hernik, Dr. Courtney, DennisN and 1 other person
Clever, Greg, that's a really clever way to depict gravity :)

Likes CynicusRex
ZapperZ said:
But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed.
Is photo-stitching allowed (the poor man's wide angle lens) ?

Keith_McClary said:
Is photo-stitching allowed (the poor man's wide angle lens) ?

No. That is considered as editing/modification.

Zz.

have tried and tried to submit
I give up

davenn said:
have tried and tried to submit
I give up

What went wrong? Technical problems? Tell me how far you got.

99_1536_zpsdnpdq52q.jpg

Likes davenn, berkeman, Dr. Courtney and 3 others
So I thought Greg's photo was going to be hard to beat, and then Andy posted a theme-busting photo. This is already going to be difficult contest to vote.

Zz.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Heavy competition already! I'll try my best to participate (likely with a weakly equivalent entry).

We have another week for this special contest. Let's see your creativity in tackling this theme.

Zz.

26286175403_8520bdae21_o.jpg

Likes Infinitum, Pepper Mint, Hernik and 2 others
If that is really unaltered, I would be interested in how you made that.

Likes Guest432 and ProfuselyQuarky
mfb said:
If that is really unaltered
It is.
mfb said:
I would be interested in how you made that.
I took it a couple of hours ago, and If Zapper is fine with it, I will tell here after the contest, but I will send you a PM in a moment... :smile:

Likes mfb
FRANK_SLIDE.JPG

http://cuug.ab.ca/kmcclary/S6300156.JPG

Likes Pepper Mint
On a Gravity String
Moon800x600.jpg

Likes Pepper Mint and Borg
Two more days left to submit your photo for this contest and be in the running for the special prize.

Zz.

Final day to submit your photo for this contest and win the prize!

Zz.

mfb said:
If that is really unaltered, I would be interested in how you made that.
DennisN said:
It is.

I took it a couple of hours ago, and If Zapper is fine with it, I will tell here after the contest, but I will send you a PM in a moment... :smile:

For those who wondered how I took the photo: I stuck a metal rod into the side of the apple and fastened the metal rod to a nearby tree branch, and then I took a photo from an angle where the metal rod could not be seen (i.e. it is located behind the apple from the viewer's perspective). I also took the photo in macro mode which makes the background fuzzy and gives the impression that the apple is farther from the branch than it actually is. It is only about 5 cm from the branch behind. As a sidenote I first started with using strings instead, but they could easily be seen by the camera. Luckily I managed to do what I intended with the metal rod instead :smile: .

Last edited:
Likes Hoophy, 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Gravity". This means that the photos submitted should capture or represent the concept of gravity in some way.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested and has access to a camera or device to capture photos. There are no age or location restrictions.

3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?

Each participant can submit a maximum of 3 photos for the contest. This allows for a fair and equal opportunity for all participants.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate the photos based on creativity, originality, and how well they capture the theme of gravity. The winner will be announced after the contest period has ended.

5. What is the prize for winning the photo contest?

The prize for winning the photo contest will vary depending on the specific contest. It could be a cash prize, gift cards, or recognition and exposure for the winner's photo. The specific prize will be announced before the start of the contest.