Photo Contest - Have A Seat (6/9-6/15)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Have A Seat" and submissions should feature a seat as the main subject. To enter, photos must be submitted on a designated website during a specific time period and must follow the guidelines and rules set by the organizers. Multiple entries are allowed in most contests, but it is important to check the specific rules. Professional equipment is not necessary and all levels of expertise are welcome. Judging criteria may include creativity, originality, composition, technical skills, and adherence to the theme, with some contests also considering the number of likes or votes a photo receives.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Have A Seat

For this week's contest, we focus on one of the most common objects that we see everyday - a seat.

Your photo must have, as its main subject, one or more chairs, benches, barstools, thrones, sofas, loveseat, wheelchairs... anything that was designed specifically for people to sit on.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
9446417b_o.jpg

Attachments

• 9446417b_o.jpg
    9446417b_o.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 461
Likes jtbell and LLD1231
marcin_seats.jpg

Attachments

• marcin_seats.jpg
    marcin_seats.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 455
Likes kuruman, LLD1231, lekh2003 and 2 others
SydneyTransport copy.png

Attachments

• SydneyTransport copy.png
    SydneyTransport copy.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 495
At Indian Botanic Garden:

IMG_20180610_182722.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_182722.jpg
    IMG_20180610_182722.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 394
Likes AlexCaledin
startrek54.jpg

Attachments

• startrek54.jpg
    startrek54.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 411
Likes jtbell, Rubidium_71, berkeman and 2 others
I came across this creative sculpture (of a living room set?) on a Bike Medic shift at a Half Marathon near the San Leandro Marina. Pretty creative. :smile:

Driftwood Sculpture Brazen Half Marathon San Leandro Aug 2015.jpg

Attachments

• Driftwood Sculpture Brazen Half Marathon San Leandro Aug 2015.jpg
    Driftwood Sculpture Brazen Half Marathon San Leandro Aug 2015.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 453
Likes AlexCaledin
Oppenheimer's Chair - New Mexico History Museum

2018-06-03 12.55.34.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-06-03 12.55.34.jpg
    2018-06-03 12.55.34.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 449
Likes xe qngai, jtbell and AlexCaledin
Raven in her chair.jpg

Attachments

• Raven in her chair.jpg
    Raven in her chair.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 393
Likes LLD1231
Bench_2.jpg

Attachments

• Bench_2.jpg
    Bench_2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 391
Likes xe qngai, Rubidium_71, AlexCaledin and 1 other person
seat.jpg

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 718
Likes AlexCaledin, kuruman and Rubidium_71
35297856_1598488243597311_1568447908183801856_n.jpg

Guess where? :P

Attachments

• 35297856_1598488243597311_1568447908183801856_n.jpg
    35297856_1598488243597311_1568447908183801856_n.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 342
Likes LLD1231 and berkeman
Marzena_have_a_seat.jpg

Attachments

• Marzena_have_a_seat.jpg
    Marzena_have_a_seat.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 407
Likes LLD1231 and fresh_42
NPD_0336_zpso3el1pcf.jpg

Attachments

• NPD_0336_zpso3el1pcf.jpg
    NPD_0336_zpso3el1pcf.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 670
Likes Craftek_Ana, LLD1231, jtbell and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:

@Andy Resnick : Is the statue, or where those people are, designed for specifically for people to sit on? In other words, is that where it is meant as a seat?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
@Andy Resnick : Is the statue, or where those people are, designed for specifically for people to sit on? In other words, is that where it is meant as a seat?

Zz.

That statue (at the National Academy of Science in Washing DC) has long been used as a seat. It's a common-enough occurrence that I thought my image would qualify. It's up to you.

Andy Resnick said:
That statue (at the National Academy of Science in Washing DC) has long been used as a seat. It's a common-enough occurrence that I thought my image would qualify. It's up to you.

Unfortunately, if it wasn't designed as a seat, it doesn't qualify, even if it was used as such.

Zz.

What if the kids weren't there? I think that place was at least designed for Einstein to sit on.

Likes fresh_42
Borg said:
What if the kids weren't there? I think that place was at least designed for Einstein to sit on.

Then we are speculating. The briefing was clear:

...anything that was designed specifically for people to sit on...

This was why I did not list fences, termite mounds, grass, kitchen tables, etc... even though people DO sit on those.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then we are speculating. The briefing was clear:
This was why I did not list fences, termite mounds, grass, kitchen tables, etc... even though people DO sit on those.
Zz.
Good point, but then what's your ruling about the post by @CAF123? Wasn't the depicted item designed to do something that only rhymes with "sit on"?

kuruman said:
Good point, but then what's your ruling about the post by @CAF123? Wasn't the depicted item designed to do something that only rhymes with "sit on"?

The picture is depicting a toilet SEAT, is it not?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, if it wasn't designed as a seat, it doesn't qualify, even if it was used as such.
I thought the stairs where indeed designed to have a seat.
ZapperZ said:
Yes, that's why I didn't post a V-ladder laying on the side or a box for beer bottles, although I'm sure they are far more often used as a seat than many chairs are.

fresh_42 said:
I thought the stairs where indeed designed to have a seat.

If the pictures were for those ledges, then sure. But the focus of that picture is on the sculpture and the people sitting on "Einstein's lap".

Zz.

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Multiple uses for seats. Studying QM or a part of the sequence for a marathon romp.

Balsam Mountain B&B, NC
photostudio_1529113575425_zpsngla2fxq.jpg

Attachments

• photostudio_1529113575425_zpsngla2fxq.jpg
    photostudio_1529113575425_zpsngla2fxq.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 225
Likes LLD1231

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Have A Seat". This means that the photos submitted should feature a seat or multiple seats as the main subject or focal point.

2. How can I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, you must submit your photo on the designated website or platform during the specified time period. Make sure to follow the guidelines and rules set by the contest organizers.

3. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, most photo contests allow multiple entries per person. However, make sure to check the rules and guidelines of the specific contest you are entering as some may have a limit on the number of submissions per person.

4. Do I need professional equipment to participate?

No, the photo contest is open to everyone regardless of their equipment or level of expertise. You can use a DSLR camera, a smartphone, or any other type of camera to capture your photo.

5. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The judging criteria may vary depending on the specific contest, but generally, photos are judged based on creativity, originality, composition, technical skills, and how well they fit the theme of the contest. Some contests may also take into consideration the number of likes or votes a photo receives.