PF PHOTO CONTEST - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. (1/5-1/11)

In summary, the contest is to create a picture with snow as the main subject. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. Only ONE picture per member per contest. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

It's winter, at least in the northern hemisphere. While some parts of the world has been unusually balmy, others have been buried under tons of snow. So this week, let's make snow cones out of all that snow. The theme this week is SNOW! So find pictures having that white powdery stuff that is the main subject.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its currently a very mild January here :(

I took this one during my Christmas break.

HPIM0073.jpg

How can I get any new pictures of snow when it's 60 degrees in January?! :grumpy: I just returned from Ithaca, and was walking around without a jacket with weather that felt like spring! We didn't even hit snow in the mountains in between.

Moonbear said:
How can I get any new pictures of snow when it's 60 degrees in January?! :grumpy: I just returned from Ithaca, and was walking around without a jacket with weather that felt like spring! We didn't even hit snow in the mountains in between.

I guess living in Canada might give me the edge. However, Halifax is pretty mild. I was walking around with my spring/fall jacket today and I was pretty comfortable.

Maybe you should take a trip to the true north or maybe one of the Scandinavian country.

We have snow in Bessemer Michigan.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3672/snow1fn6.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
iansmith said:
I guess living in Canada might give me the edge. However, Halifax is pretty mild. I was walking around with my spring/fall jacket today and I was pretty comfortable.

Maybe you should take a trip to the true north or maybe one of the Scandinavian country.

It's supposed to be that cold here by this time of year. Stupid global warming. :grumpy:

Here's my back patio from Christmas night, 2002 when Long Island got hit with a great snow storm:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8219/snow5resizedhg1.jpg [Broken]

It's really amazing what I can see out my window:

Last edited:
SpaceTiger said:
It's really amazing what I can see out my window
Watch out for that flying rulebook!

I was tempted to use a picture of my son's car buried under snow and a huge pine branch that broke off from a tree. Snow isn't very good to that car.

Instead, I'll use the same picture I use for my wallpaper on my PC. This is from our October blizzard (otherwise known as 2006 Blizzard I - I've lost track of what number we're up to now).
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4859/9272006005ez4.jpg [Broken]

SpaceTiger said:
It's really amazing what I can see out my window:

Er... SpaceTiger, you should know better than that!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... SpaceTiger, you should know better than that!

It's a photo with snow as the central theme... what am I missing?

A picture of a picture of anything doesn't count. It certainly doesn't follow the spirit of this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
A picture of a picture of anything doesn't count.

I didn't know that, you should include it in the rules. Are we then not aloud to submit photographs of sculptures, buildings, and other things that are just pictures of other people's work? Or does this just apply to pictures?

SpaceTiger said:
I didn't know that, you should include it in the rules. Are we then not aloud to submit photographs of sculptures, buildings, and other things that are just pictures of other people's work? Or does this just apply to pictures?

But I thought it was IMPLIED in all of these contests. You take a picture of the subject. In your case, your "subject" is a painting. If we have a contest on paintings, or murals, sculpture, then yes, those would be valid. If not, then the subject or theme of the contest would be meaningless.

I believe this is quite clear as the intent of this contest, so much so that even Gokul anticipated my reaction to it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But I thought it was IMPLIED in all of these contests. You take a picture of the subject. In your case, your "subject" is a painting. If we have a contest on paintings, or murals, sculpture, then yes, those would be valid. If not, then the subject or theme of the contest would be meaningless.

Surely the subject of a photo or painting is often a matter of interpretation. For example, I could say that the subject of FredGarvin's photo is the tree, not the snow, just as I could say that the subject of my photo was snow, not a printout. Ultimately, the point is not the subject of the photo, but the way in which it was reproduced. You seem to object most to photos that are just reproductions of something generated in another medium. Ultimately, my question is about how literal you intend to be. Must we directly photograph real snow or are we allowed room for creativity, by say, photographing a reproduction of it? Not all of us are based in snowy areas, after all.

I apologize for my naive questions, I'm new to these photo contests and am not as familiar with the idiosynchracies as Gokul probably is.

Last edited:
At some point, I have to use my judgment. If it is ambiguous, it is the members who will vote. If this becomes too much of a pain in the rear, I'll quit.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
At some point, I have to use my judgment. If it is ambiguous, it is the members who will vote. If this becomes too much of a pain in the rear, I'll quit.

Ok, sorry to be trouble, I was just curious. :smile:

http://www.mcschell.com/snowytrail.jpg [Broken]

From last winter. This winter has been pretty snowless thus far. We had a high of 67 in Portland (Maine) last week... Crazy.
-GeoMike-

Gee, how do you always make such amazing pictures?

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9748/shaggysnowqk0.png [Broken]

We had about 8-10in of snow (a record for us).

Note: I did modify the photo, I took out the address to the house, which I would believe to be OK.

mattmns said:
Note: I did modify the photo, I took out the address to the house, which I would believe to be OK.
What in the world is that going to accomplish? If any of us happen to drive down your street, the patriotic dog out front and the maximum security prison next door will be a dead give away.

And you'll never know it was one of us - well, the frozen broccoli might tip you off.:uhh:

I thought I might have to dig back through my prints to scan something. We've had a few dustings of snow, but record-high winter temperatures and drenching rains quickly melt that off. Anyway, we got a bit of snow last night, so here's the red spruce on the corner of our vegetable garden with the trail to the woodlot in the back. As you can see, a lot of trees have neglected to drop their leaves. In fact, the warm weather of the past few weeks has fooled some trees into budding. I took this picture in a steady drizzle just a few minutes ago, so the snow may be gone again tomorrow. The lawn is still green, and the perennials in my wife's herb garden are still growing. Summers in Maine haven't gotten significantly warmer since the '50s, but the winters have gotten MUCH warmer, and "let it snow" is wishful thinking.

Edit: in this much-reduced image, it is not so obvious that some trees still have their leaves - it's that reddish brown stuff in the background - mostly oaks and beeches.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/488/snowpx8.jpg [Broken]

mattmns said:

That is fine.

Zz.

BobG said:
And you'll never know it was one of us - well, the frozen broccoli might tip you off.:uhh:

I would leave frozen broccoli to make it look like it was Ivan. :wink:

Fred's looks great, i like the snapshot of the falling snow.

BobG said:
What in the world is that going to accomplish? If any of us happen to drive down your street, the patriotic dog out front and the maximum security prison next door will be a dead give away.

:rofl: While most house numbers are repeated over and over across the country (#15, #1025, etc), it's much more of a giveaway when your house number is 13.93872110 :biggrin: Oops, did I just spill the beans on the address? :uhh:

We don't get snow in South Carolina very often, but when we do, it's a doozy. This is from a few years ago, when the whole town lost power for at least a day.

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/blizzard/Calvert.jpg

What a tease! We got a dusting of snow overnight/this morning. Not even enough to hide the grass. :grumpy: After 60 and 70 degree days in January, I'm ready for a blizzard to keep me home for a few days! Really...I just want one pretty snowstorm that shuts down the town so I can sit home in front of the fireplace and stare out the window while drinking hot cocoa all day. All these pretty pictures just make me want it more. But, no, I'm sure it'll wait until I'm in the middle of some critical experiment when I have to drag myself through the snow to work even when everything is shut down. :grumpy:

Just a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest. With various parts of the world (especially the US) getting snow the last couple of days, I'm sure there are more opportunities now to snap a picture that qualifies for this contest.

Zz.

I finally got a camera again...woot! So here is a shot I took about 10 minutes ago.

IMG_0114.jpg

scorpa said:
I finally got a camera again...woot! So here is a shot I took about 10 minutes ago.
Great! I don't use my camera every day, but I'd be uncomfortable without it. I hope you can replace most of the important stuff that was stolen.

Last edited:
It was 79* here yesterday :grumpy:

Okay, we got some snow yesterday and overnight, so I was able to get a picture this morning before it all melted again. I can't even begin to compete with those who had pretty blankets of snow, because it just wouldn't stick enough to get my meetings canceled today. :grumpy:

This is of my neighbors. :biggrin:

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/8943/snowcc2.jpg [Broken]

<h2>1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest for this week?</h2><p>The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and magic of winter snow.</p><h2>2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit up to five photos for the contest. However, please make sure each photo is unique and follows the theme.</p><h2>3. How will the winner of the contest be chosen?</h2><p>The winner will be chosen based on a combination of factors, including creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. Our team of judges will carefully review all submissions and select the winning photo.</p><h2>4. Can I edit my photo after submitting it to the contest?</h2><p>No, once a photo has been submitted, it cannot be edited. Please make sure your photo is final and follows the contest guidelines before submitting it.</p><h2>5. Is there a prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?</h2><p>Yes, the winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a cash prize of $100. They will also be featured on our website and social media pages, giving them exposure and recognition for their photography skills.</p>

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest for this week?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and magic of winter snow.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to five photos for the contest. However, please make sure each photo is unique and follows the theme.

3. How will the winner of the contest be chosen?

The winner will be chosen based on a combination of factors, including creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. Our team of judges will carefully review all submissions and select the winning photo.

4. Can I edit my photo after submitting it to the contest?

No, once a photo has been submitted, it cannot be edited. Please make sure your photo is final and follows the contest guidelines before submitting it.

5. Is there a prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?

Yes, the winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a cash prize of $100. They will also be featured on our website and social media pages, giving them exposure and recognition for their photography skills.