Photo Contest - Liquid-Solid Interface (8/10-8/16)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Liquid-Solid Interface" and is open to all individuals who are passionate about photography. Participants can submit multiple photos, but they must be original. Winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme. Prizes will be announced at the end of the contest period and may include cash prizes, recognition, and opportunities for publication or exhibition.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Liquid-Solid Interface

No, this contest is not on phase transition. Rather, it focuses on the boundary where a liquid meets a solid, water meets land. So a photo of a seaside beach, or a lakeshore, will qualify. There must be a very clear depiction of this boundary between the "liquid" and the "solid". A photo of a glass of water with ice does not qualify. However, a closeup photo of a floating ice where it floats on water does qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
A photo of a glass of water with ice does not qualify.
This confuses me. Can you please explain why the water-glass interface does not count?

Likes fresh_42
kuruman said:
This confuses me. Can you please explain why the water-glass interface does not count?

Water-glass interface counts. What doesn't count is a picture of just a glass of water. If you wish to show the water-glass interface, then you need to clearly show the boundary between the two, such as a close-up photo from inside the glass showing where the water edge meets the glass.

Zz.

The interface between the Moscow River and the Moscow Kremlin.
interface.jpg

Likes BillTre, DennisN and morrobay
rocky shore copy.JPG

Likes Wrichik Basu, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
Similan Islands
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_9025.jpg

Two mating water striders in a fish photobox. Lines are there to accentuate the non-flat water surface.
Water striders are held above the water by the surface tension.
They can communicate with each other via surface waves they can make with their feet.

Likes Rubidium_71, DrClaude, DennisN and 1 other person
Got mud? Mountain bike riding in Coyote Hills Regional Park a couple winters ago... :oldbiggrin:

Got Mud Dec 2012 Coyote Hills Smaller.jpg

Likes morrobay, DrClaude and BillTre
IMG_8787.JPG

Zz.

Likes kuruman and berkeman
48208876226_f81bcdb684_c_d.jpg

Likes BillTre
nsaspook said:

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the connection with the solid-liquid interface in this photo. I see a gas-solid interface though, but that's not the theme.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the connection with the solid-liquid interface in this photo. I see a gas-solid interface though, but that's not the theme.

Zz.

The picture is old Faithful. Plenty of liquid (very hot water as shown in the picture) shoots up from solid ground, falls down, hits solid ground and flows away.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/oldfaithfulgeyserfaq.htm

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
The picture is old Faithful. Plenty of liquid (very hot water as shown in the picture) shoots up from solid ground, falls down, hits solid ground and flows away.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/oldfaithfulgeyserfaq.htm

Steam, or hot water, shooting from the ground, yes, I see that. But the "hits solid ground and flows away" is not very clear to me in that picture.

We can keep that, and let the voters decide.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Cropped River Scene 1.jpg

Smokey Mtns Nation Park Stream

Likes Wrichik Basu, Borg, BillTre and 1 other person
140vwgp.jpg
Sea/land... can be complicated - even dangerous.

Likes BillTre
My pic was intended to illustrate especially, as well I could with photos I've got, the theme of this boundary being shifting and dynamic.
What I mean is also illustrated here:

Immagine 257.jpg

You can be standing there on wet, firm sand, the sea is in front of you, the sandy beach behind you. Your feet out of the water except maybe you like to see a wave wash over them and then retire a few metres. Before you know it you can be standing there on wet, firm sand, your feet out of the water, the sea is in front of you - and behind you! And deeper than you expect. As a kid I spent a lot of time on the beach just around where this sign now is, and saw how it can be true. On our own! - looking back I am amazed how free we used to be as kids. In public discussion in the UK people often talk about obsessive " 'elf 'n safety" regulations and kids not allowed to take the slightest risk, with resulting snowflake generations. The danger and the fact that there had been fatalities was known at the time but just verbal warning was considered sufficient for us. There might have been more discreet surveillance or alertness than we knew.

It is not far from the old school of mine I submitted not long ago but which didn't get past the pixel police.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-photo-contest-memory-sticks-2-23-3-1.966782/post-6140131 .
Of beaches, related considerations, and this beach and some memories, better I don't get started.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to showcase the beauty and complexity of the liquid-solid interface, as well as to promote scientific curiosity and creativity.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone with an interest in science and photography. Both professional and amateur photographers are welcome to submit their photos.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you will need to upload it to a photo-sharing platform (such as Flickr or Instagram) and include the hashtag #LiquidSolidInterfaceContest in the caption. You can also submit your photo by emailing it to the designated email address.

4. Can I submit multiple photos for the contest?

Yes, you are allowed to submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each participant can only win one prize.

5. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The photos will be judged based on their creativity, visual impact, and relevance to the theme of the contest. The judges will also take into consideration the technical quality and overall aesthetics of the photo.