Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN (6/8-6/14)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Murray Gell-Mann" and is open to anyone who is interested in showcasing their photography skills and creativity. To submit a photo, one must follow the guidelines provided by the contest organizers. Multiple entries are allowed as long as they follow the theme and guidelines. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges or through public voting based on criteria such as creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Murray Gell-Mann

The Physics Nobel Laureate and a giant in the field of physics passed away this past May. This contest is a tribute to him.

This photo contest is similar to our "Alphabets" photo contest, but this time, using Gell-Mann's name. Your photo must have its main subject with a known, popular name that starts with the letter in Gell-Mann's name, and it must be in sequence. This means that the first submission must be a photo with a subject that starts with the letter "M". The next submission will be a photo with the subject that starts with the letter "U", and so on. We will skip the hyphen in his name.

If we reach the end of his name with the two "N's", then we will start again from the beginning with the letter "M".

Please note that the subject must clearly have a known and popular English name that starts with the appropriate letter. It must not be a proper/special name, and it must also not be an adjective. So a "modern house" does not qualify as a picture for the letter "M".

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mountain

P1030721.JPG

https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/t...ld-out-of-the-world-menchukha-jengging.57747/

Likes DrClaude and BillTre
University (Actually Moscow University does the first two letters in one photo.)

university---1.jpg

Last edited:
Likes morrobay and BillTre
Railroad (Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, fall 1972.)

HamburgHbf.jpg

This is one of the inter-zonal trains that the East German Reichsbahn operated on a handful of routes connecting East and West Germany. Passengers were mainly East Germans who had permission to visit the West (i.e. pensioners) and West Germans who had permission to visit the East. This particular train is going to Dresden.

At this time, steam locomotives had almost or completely disappeared from the West German Bundesbahn, but they were still common on the Reichsbahn.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu
IMG-20190424-155110.jpg

Restaurant

Animal.

(This is my new cat which I brought home yesterday. She has been a breeding cat at my friend's farm, and her job is now done. This very social cat has brought up about 12-15 kittens all in all which all have been sold. She had become lonely at the farm, so we will try to see if she gets comfortable at my place. I hope so :).

Edit: I now remembered that she has actually been in a previous PF photo contest as one of the Schrödinger cats in this photo.

48030102952_6c5b483a37_c.jpg

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
Yachts

marzena_jachts.jpg

Likes BillTre
"G" for Mendenhall Glacier.
DSCN4942.JPG

Zz.

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu

1. Who is Murray Gell-Mann?

Murray Gell-Mann was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who is best known for his work on the theory of elementary particles and the development of the quark model.

2. What is the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN?

The Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN is a contest that invites participants to submit a photo that represents the work and legacy of Murray Gell-Mann in the field of physics.

3. How do I enter the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN?

To enter the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN, simply submit your photo through the designated submission form or tag your photo on social media with the designated hashtag.

4. What are the rules and guidelines for the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN?

The rules and guidelines for the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN can be found on the contest website or submission form. Generally, photos must be original and relate to the theme of Murray Gell-Mann's work in physics.

5. When is the deadline for submitting a photo to the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN?

The deadline for submitting a photo to the Photo Contest - MURRAY GELL-MANN is June 14th. Any entries submitted after this date will not be considered for the contest.