Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Photo Contest - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (9/12-9/18)

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

In this contest, the main feature of your photos must be either a plane, a train, or an automobile (or multiple number of them in various combination).

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    Oooh, I know Cyrus is going to come up with a winner for this one. :biggrin:

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3
    Mount Washington Cog Railway:
    [​IMG]

-GeoMike-

5. Sep 12, 2006 #4
    :rofl: That's great. It looks almost cartoonish...something from a Disney ride.

6. Sep 12, 2006 #5
    do you have a stock of these photos ready?!

7. Sep 13, 2006 #6
    Most of my photos are hiking shots. It just so happens that one of the mountains I hike also has a railway going up the side of it! :tongue2:

-GeoMike-

8. Sep 13, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

That is a great shot! I took some clients on a ride on that rascal. It has one of the most complex siding switches that you can imagine. The engine is not hooked to the passenger cars, just the tender - the passenger cars simply rest against a plate on the front of the engine and the engine pushes them up the mountain, and then controls their descent on the way back. The benches in the passenger cars flip to provide forward-facing seating in each direction.

9. Sep 13, 2006 #8
    Flying over Lake Tahoe this summer.
    [​IMG]

10. Sep 13, 2006 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the catagory of automobile, the Lunar rover.

[​IMG]

There is a plane included the top of the frame and the tail of another in the right top corner. Also, all the pictures on the wall behind are of planes.

11. Sep 13, 2006 #10
    Ahhhh, that looks like fun. Great picture.:approve:

12. Sep 13, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, not to be confused with the funicular railway (inclines) on Mount Washington, Pittsburgh.

13. Sep 13, 2006 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So, when is the category of "pictures taken while trapped inside a glass elevator" coming up? I have that category nailed.

That train picture just looks wrong. Great picture. :biggrin:

14. Sep 13, 2006 #13
    YES, It was fun!

15. Sep 13, 2006 #14
    The wheels look about ready to wobble off. :bugeye:

16. Sep 13, 2006 #15

Evo

Cool picture, and all I keep thinking is, "that looks like a broken umbrella".

17. Sep 13, 2006 #16
    My pictures are not digital, so I will go to Kinko's tomorrow and scan a few.

18. Sep 13, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: And it looks like it has a bunch of gold-paper wrapped Christmas presents stuck to it too. :biggrin:

19. Sep 14, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

It is a little bit "wrong" in the sense that GeoMike allowed the horizon line to effect his composition - a natural thing. The grade is steeper than it appears in the picture. Look again at the locomotive, and see how the boiler is tilted down in the picture. It is not really tilted down. It is very close to horizontal for most of the run up and down the mountain. Another reason that the train looks weird is that there are no big "drive wheels" on the locomotive - it is driven by a small cog-wheel that meshes with a notched rail between the conventional rails, like a rack-and-pinion steering mechanism.

20. Sep 14, 2006 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zz, A tiny request for future photo contests: When the vote thread comes up, could you include a link to the submissions thread in the OP?

21. Sep 14, 2006 #20

Evo

:rofl: I didn't see those until you mentioned it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?