Photo Contest - Reverse Alphabets (12/9-12/22)

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the topic of summarization and how the individual is skilled at providing summaries. They clarified that they do not engage in question and answer interactions, but rather focus on summarizing content. The conversation ended with a reminder to only provide a summary after the conversation is complete.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Administrative Note: I'm on vacation (hooray!). So this week's contest will run for 2 weeks instead of 1.

Reverse Alphabets

We had a contest on the Alphabets recently, and this contest will be similar to that one except that we will go backwards, i.e. start from the letter "Z" and work our way to "A". If we reach the end, we will start right back to "Z".

Please note that these names must be common names in English, and they should not be proper names, i.e. anything that will require capitalization or left out in a game of Scrabble will not qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
zero temperature (not absolute)
125b6dcc_o.jpg

Attachments

• 125b6dcc_o.jpg
    125b6dcc_o.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 508
Likes DennisN and BillTre
Yule
1513225644585.jpg

Attachments

• 1513225644585.jpg
    1513225644585.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 461
Likes AlexCaledin
So I got the X...? Tough luck.
Well, here's a xenomorph:
39014154712_e2dcf45c94_z.jpg

Attachments

• 39014154712_e2dcf45c94_z.jpg
    39014154712_e2dcf45c94_z.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 433
Likes BillTre, AlexCaledin and fresh_42
Waterfall

Multnomah Falls, Oregon, USA

060503 (3305) Multnomah Falls nr Portland ORsm.jpg

Attachments

• 060503 (3305) Multnomah Falls nr Portland ORsm.jpg
    060503 (3305) Multnomah Falls nr Portland ORsm.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Likes BillTre and AlexCaledin
Vertigo:

DSC_3738_zpsmbrbiwfo.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3738_zpsmbrbiwfo.jpg
    DSC_3738_zpsmbrbiwfo.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 493
Likes phinds, BillTre, AlexCaledin and 2 others
Underground (Atlanta):

underground.jpg

Attachments

• underground.jpg
    underground.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 444
Is that a selfie? :oldtongue:

Likes fresh_42
Towers - Doha Westbay
IMG_20141115_125029022_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_125029022_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141115_125029022_HDR.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Suspension (Khndzoresk, Armenia)
suspension khndzoresk.jpg

Attachments

• suspension khndzoresk.jpg
    suspension khndzoresk.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 446
Likes BillTre, davenn, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Rocket. I took this at Wallops Island in the late 1960' when I was working for NASA. I was very proud of myself for having caught more than just the smoke trail. These little devils shoot up out of the tower going really fast.

rocket5s.jpg

Attachments

• rocket5s.jpg
    rocket5s.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 873
Likes scottdave, Orodruin, DennisN and 9 others
phinds said:
Rocket. I took this at Wallops Island in the late 1960' when I was working for NASA. I was very proud of myself for having caught more than just the smoke trail. These little devils shoot up out of the tower going really fast.

View attachment 216842
Looks like you could use it for Church again. I first thought of Snow, instead of Steam and Smoke.

Likes davenn
Did we get stuck at "Q"?

Well then, here's a set of Quadrupole magnets!
IMG_5959.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_5959.JPG
    IMG_5959.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 393
Likes OmCheeto, AlexCaledin and lekh2003
Phaser. A prop from the original series
phaser.jpg

Attachments

• phaser.jpg
    phaser.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 358
Likes fresh_42
Janus said:
Phaser. A prop from the original series
Does it still work?

kuruman said:
Does it still work?

As good as new.

Likes Bystander and phinds
kuruman said:
Does it still work?
Phasers are great.
arzJe.gif

Attachments

• arzJe.gif
    arzJe.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 873
Likes scottdave
DennisN said:
Phasers are great.
View attachment 217181
I guess after the series ended, they had to take jobs at 7-11? :oldtongue:

Likes DennisN
Final day to submit your photo for this contest. We are now at the letter "O". No oranges or owls?

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin
Borg said:
I guess after the series ended, they had to take jobs at 7-11? :oldtongue:
Yes, but they could only set their phasers on "grill".

Likes DennisN
I went ahead and removed a picture which was more than likely not shot by the user but found on the internet instead. I don't even think it had been a photo. In case I'm wrong, I beg a pardon
I also deleted the subsequent discussion about it, because we're obviously in a hurry.
OmCheeto said:
I have a dreadful picture of a bowl full of oranges, which ensures my last place finish in this contest.
Go ahead.

Last edited:
2017.12.22.last.place.pf.contest.png

Attachments

• 2017.12.22.last.place.pf.contest.png
    2017.12.22.last.place.pf.contest.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 806
Likes AlexCaledin
phinds said:
Oh, you shouldn't have. No, I mean really ... you shouldn't have :-p

I suppose, I shoulda/coulda/woulda have taken a picture of my "Osage Orange" wooden spoon.
It's much more photogenic.
But ZZ said; "No capital letters".

:oldgrumpy:

So you posted an ad for Tang instead? You should have cropped the photo. :rolleyes:

upload_2017-12-22_15-29-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_15-29-5.png
    upload_2017-12-22_15-29-5.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 272
kuruman said:
So you posted an ad for Tang instead? You should have cropped the photo. :rolleyes:
Well, I guess the cropped version has been prepared to solve the Close-packing picture.

Likes kuruman
This type of cropping counts as "digitally altered" and is definitely against the context contest rules.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
Borek said:
This type of cropping counts as "digitally altered" and is definitely against the context rules.
JEEZ ... what a nitpicker

upload_2017-12-22_16-6-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_16-6-31.png
    upload_2017-12-22_16-6-31.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 238
kuruman said:
It was supposed to be a subliminal public service announcement; "Vitamin C is important to your health."

The hurricanes and fires this year deleted my orange crop at the supermarket this summer, and I had to get by, with some "sciencey" stuff NASA invented, some years back.

Borek said:
This type of cropping counts as "digitally altered" and is definitely against the context rules.
Better?
38349953215_4248792177_z.jpg

Attachments

• 38349953215_4248792177_z.jpg
    38349953215_4248792177_z.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 296
Likes BillTre, OmCheeto, kuruman and 2 others
Looks like we're still on N. Newspaper .
Q6j1Riel.jpg

I altered to comply with the 800x600 limit.

Attachments

• Q6j1Rie.jpg
    Q6j1Rie.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Q6j1Riel.jpg
    Q6j1Riel.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 258
Likes AlexCaledin
DennisN said:
Better?
Much, much better. From wikipedia,
"Börek (Turkish pronunciation: [bøˈɾekʲ]; also burek and other variants) is a family of baked filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough known as phyllo (or yufka), of Anatolian origins and also found in the cuisines of the Balkans, Levant, Mediterranean, and other countries in Eastern Europe and Western Asia. A börek may be prepared in a large pan and cut into portions after baking, or as individual pastries. The top of the börek is often sprinkled with sesame seeds."
Snacks are snacks.

kuruman said:
Börek (Turkish pronunciation: [bøˈɾekʲ]; also burek and other variants)

We are far from B, but I do have picture of burek, taken in Croatia.

OmCheeto said:
It was supposed to be a subliminal public service announcement; "Vitamin C is important to your health."

The hurricanes and fires this year deleted my orange crop at the supermarket this summer, and I had to get by, with some "sciencey" stuff NASA invented, some years back.
I didn't realize you could still get Tang. I remember us having it when I was a kid. They used to have commercials on TV with astronauts.