Photo Contest - Rolling In The Deep (4/13-4/19)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Rolling In The Deep", with a deadline for submissions on April 19th at 11:59 PM EST. Multiple photos can be submitted, but each must be entered separately. A panel of judges will select the winner based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The prize for winning includes a cash prize of $500 and the chance to have your photo showcased on the organization's website and social media.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Rolling In The Deep

Things that roll and in the act of rolling. That's the theme.

A picture of a bicycle wheel while the bicycle is being ridden down the street qualifies. A picture of a marble rolling downhill qualifies, etc.. It must be a picture of something that rolls AND in the act of rolling. It means that a picture of a stationary ball does not qualify. A picture of a wheel just spinning on its axis also does not qualify.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Early afternoon traffic in Yekaterinburg, Russia.

rolling---1.jpg

Likes davenn

Thanks to good timing along the breakwater this morning.

Likes davenn and fresh_42
OK ... taking the term rolling

Waves rolling onto the shore

2015_12_26_4785.jpg

Likes kuruman, Wrichik Basu and morrobay
davenn said:
OK ... taking the term rolling

Waves rolling onto the shore

More to the point, rocking and rolling. :rolleyes:

Likes davenn
rolling.jpg

Yes, the wheels were rolling... backwards, slowly...

Likes zonde, davenn, morrobay and 3 others
Considering the fact that you can see the wheels if you zoom in...

P1050885-1.jpg

Wrichik Basu said:
Considering the fact that you can see the wheels if you zoom in...
Is the Doppler shift of its siren frequency positive or negative?

kuruman said:
Is the Doppler shift of its siren frequency positive or negative?
Indian Railways generally prefer pulling to pushing, especially in case of a goods train...

Wrichik Basu said:
Indian Railways generally prefer pulling to pushing, especially in case of a goods train...
I don't understand that preference from a physics point of view. Why should there be difference?

kuruman said:
I don't understand that preference from a physics point of view. Why should there be difference?
Maybe just a convention. I have not seen too many trains being pushed. Goods trains often have two engines, like the one above, but both at the front. Maybe pushing is used too, but I haven't seen that.

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

bike.jpg

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Rolling In The Deep". This can be interpreted in many ways, such as underwater photography, photos of deep canyons or valleys, or even photos of people or animals deep in thought.

2. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, you will need to submit your photo via the designated entry method stated in the contest rules. This could be through email, social media, or a specific contest website. Be sure to follow all submission guidelines and include any necessary information, such as your name and contact information.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of photo that can be submitted?

The only restriction on the type of photo that can be submitted is that it must fit the theme of "Rolling In The Deep". Other than that, any type of photo is welcome, including digital or film, color or black and white, and edited or unedited photos.

4. Can I submit more than one photo?

Most photo contests allow for multiple entries per person, but it is important to read the contest rules to confirm if this is allowed. Some contests may have a limit on the number of entries per person, so be sure to follow any guidelines to avoid disqualification.

5. Who will judge the photos and how will the winners be chosen?

The judges for the photo contest will usually be announced in the contest rules or on the contest website. They could be professional photographers, scientists, or other experts in the field. The winners will be chosen based on various criteria, such as creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo fits the theme. The judging process may also be outlined in the contest rules.