Photo Contest - Run Around In Circles (5/5-5/11)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Run Around In Circles" and is open from May 5th to May 11th. Specific guidelines for submission include originality, theme fitting, high resolution, and no explicit or offensive content. Up to 5 photos can be submitted per person, but they must be unique. The photo contest will be judged by a panel of scientists and photographers based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Run Around In Circles

This week, our theme is on the geometric CIRCLE. Your photo must show, as its main subject, something that has this geometric shape. It may contain just one circle, or multiple, overlapping, etc. circles.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
The astrogater on the navigation console for the Enterprise, had a lot of circles . This is the original used in the series. The picture was taken at the Star Trek exhibit in Seattle.
IMG_7523.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7523.JPG
    IMG_7523.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 522
Likes davenn, AlexCaledin, hyunxu and 7 others
FullMoonLight.png

I was amazed to be able to click this with only a 300mm lens and sadly not even a tripod. The amount of laying down on the grass trying to stay still represents the effort gone into this picture.

Attachments

• FullMoonLight.png
    FullMoonLight.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 562
Likes BillTre, AlexCaledin and hyunxu
DSC_9509_zps43pfyyvf.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_9509_zps43pfyyvf.jpg
    DSC_9509_zps43pfyyvf.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 884
Likes AlexCaledin and hyunxu
hyunxu said:
It's that a microscopic lens?

Close- it's a phase contrast aperture ring for a phase contrast lens, I think it came out of an Axiomat. There's no part number, just the designation 'f.Epiplan 100Ph', I picked it up off ebay a while ago and have never seen anything else like it- can't even find an image on the interwebnet. I like that there are no 'spider' supports- it's a clear ring mask on a mirrored piece of glass.

Likes hyunxu
0152f386609c4a0c9ba2a325b763b7fe670624662b.jpg

Zz.

Attachments

• 0152f386609c4a0c9ba2a325b763b7fe670624662b.jpg
    0152f386609c4a0c9ba2a325b763b7fe670624662b.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 434
Likes AlexCaledin
temp_save2ss102 (9).jpg

Attachments

• temp_save2ss102 (9).jpg
    temp_save2ss102 (9).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 414
Likes lekh2003, BillTre and AlexCaledin
one observes pretty many circles if one is beneath an R7 rocket with 4 boosters
(and if it's not being launched at the moment)
171ee7fc_o.jpg

Attachments

• 171ee7fc_o.jpg
    171ee7fc_o.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Likes jtbell, davenn, berkeman and 2 others
AlexCaledin said:
and if it's not launched at the moment
:oldlaugh:

Likes AlexCaledin
Does the spiral count?

Borek said:
Does the spiral count?

No. The line has to be in a single plane.

Zz.

circles.jpg

Attachments

• circles.jpg
    circles.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 855
Likes davenn, AlexCaledin and BillTre
ZapperZ said:
No. The line has to be in a single plane.

Archimedean spiral is in a single plane.

But I will look for something else.

Likes davenn

Attachments

• 40209311700_d6fa496801_c.jpg
    40209311700_d6fa496801_c.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 418
Likes davenn, AlexCaledin, berkeman and 1 other person
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

I thought there were three tpologicallly different kinds of circle here. Then I thougt no, two. Now I see them. Now I don't. Three. Two. Three.
2resl77.jpg

Attachments

• 2resl77.jpg
    2resl77.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:
Likes AlexCaledin, berkeman and jtbell
What's that called, a Cheerionut? :woot:

epenguin said:
I thought there were three tpologicallly different kinds of circle here. Then I thougt no, two. Now I see them. Now I don't. Three. Two. Three.View attachment 225574
Two. The flat-bottomed component of the topology doesn't count as a circle... :smile:

jtbell said:
What's that called, a Cheerionut? :woot:

It's called 'Timballo di anelletti alla Siciliana' (anelletti = little rings); there are many pages about it on the net, mostly recipes for the many variations. I heard there is a type of pasta used only for it.

berkeman said:
Two. The flat-bottomed component of the topology doesn't count as a circle... :smile:
Imagine a circle running round the top - the highest points. I struggle To imagine how it can be continuously defo Med into one of the ringlets, and vice versa.

epenguin said:
Imagine a circle running round the top - the highest points. I struggle To imagine how it can be continuously defo Med into one of the ringlets, and vice versa.
You talk funny...

:smile:

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Run Around In Circles". This means that we are looking for photos that capture the concept of running or moving in a circular motion.

2. How long is the photo contest open?

The photo contest is open from May 5th to May 11th. Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 PM on May 11th.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for submitting photos?

Yes, there are a few guidelines that must be followed in order for your submission to be considered:

• The photo must be original and taken by you.
  • The photo must fit the theme of "Run Around In Circles".
  • The photo must be in high resolution (at least 300 dpi).
  • The photo must not contain any explicit or offensive content.

4. How many photos can I submit?

You can submit up to 5 photos per person. However, each photo must be unique and cannot be a duplicate or edit of another submission.

5. Who will be judging the photo contest?

The photo contest will be judged by a panel of scientists and photographers. They will be looking for creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme in their selections.