Photo Contest - She Blinded Me With Science (2/15-2/21)

In summary, the photo contest aims to highlight the beauty and wonder of science through photography and is open to anyone with an interest in science. Photos can be of any scientific subject and will be judged based on creativity, originality, relevance, and technical quality. Winners will receive recognition and potentially a cash prize or other rewards.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
She Blinded Me With Science

This time, we go back to our roots. PF is a science forum, so the topic of this week's contest is science.

Your photo must show, as its main subject, a clear depiction of something directly connected to science. It can be a scientific instrument, a scientist or scientists, a science event, a science facility, etc.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Het wonder is geen wonder
This is the mathematician, engineer and latterly, bird sanctuary, Simon Stevin. or more exactly it is his statue in SimonStevinsplein in his (probable) town of birth, Bruges. If you have never heard of him, to read him up, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Stevin is to discover that you ought to have. Essential figure in the introduction of decimal fractions, among other important contributions.The manuscript you can see is proving or using principles of the resolution of forces and of virtual work - for first time. (This famous diagram which was famously accompanied by the motto 'Het wonder is geen wonder' - the wonder is no wonder, i.e. illuminated rather than blinded by Science - is the emblem of the Dutch National Applied Research organisation, the TNO.)

-

fullsizeoutput_1300.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20170724_122842.jpg

CERN.

Likes davenn, morrobay and fresh_42
IMG_20200217_085504 (1).jpg

Likes AlexCaledin and lekh2003
DSC_4492-2.jpg

Fermilab (from a distance).

Likes davenn, morrobay and BillTre
Refraction!

IMG_1418.JPG

Zz.

Likes morrobay
Single celled zebrafish eggs (in their flexible shells (chorions)) lined up in a groove molded into an agar plate so that they can easily be micro-injected (with dyes or DNA or RNA or nucleic acid analogs).
  • A single injected fish can be used to start a genetic line.
  • Cells from a dye embryo can be followed through development or transplanted to unlabeled embryos of the same or a different genotype.
  • Gene products can be introduced or inactivated in embryos.
DSCN2927.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes Ibix, Rubidium_71 and morrobay
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

BillTre said:
Single celled zebrafish eggs [...]
  • Gene products can be introduced or inactivated in embryos.
So you have started to do your Frankenstein things again? :biggrin:

A homemade spectrometer (a long box with a thin slit at one end and a slanted small piece of a compact disc at the other end). It ain't pretty, but it works rather well. :smile:
It was the one I used to take this photo in a previous contest.

49566756713_af742bc17d_z.jpg

Likes davenn and BillTre
Holocaust Psalm 1.JPG

How many entendres are we allowed? The beauty in this pic is indeed a scientist - PhD in Medical Physics, over 100 papers with 2000+ citations. And she blinded me! (My bride). The astute experimentalist will notice her necklace made from the copper gasket for a Varian 2.75" conflat flange used in ultra high vacuum systems. Pic was taken at the New Orleans Holocaust Memorial.

DennisN said:
So you have started to do your Frankenstein things again? :biggrin:
Thought about it.
Injecting eggs like that is easy if you have a micro-electrode (hollow capillary-like tube pulled out to a fine (sub-micron) point).
It's been done to make glowing hobbyist fish ($$).
Just need fish eggs and ability to do micro-injections.

Likes DennisN
Rocket Science

1582344198760.png

• Wow
Likes DennisN, Borg and BillTre
Kitt Peak National Observatory

blinded.jpg

Likes Borg, davenn and BillTre

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to celebrate and showcase the intersection of science and photography. We want to see how science can be captured in a creative and visually appealing way.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in both science and photography. Whether you are a scientist, photographer, or simply have a passion for both, you are welcome to participate.

3. What types of photos are allowed in the contest?

The photos submitted to the contest should have a clear and obvious connection to science. This can be in the form of scientific experiments, equipment, nature, or any other creative interpretation of science. Photos of people are also allowed as long as they are related to science in some way.

4. How will the winners be chosen?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges who have expertise in both science and photography. They will evaluate the photos based on creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo represents the theme of the contest.

5. What are the prizes for the winners?

The prizes for the winners of the photo contest will vary depending on the specific contest. However, they may include cash prizes, photography equipment, or other science-related prizes. Additionally, the winning photos will be featured on our website and social media pages.