Photo Contest - Shop Till You Drop (11/23-11/29)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "Shop Till You Drop" and it is open to all individuals, regardless of age, nationality, or professional experience. To submit photos, participants can use a designated hashtag on Instagram or email them to the organizer. The prizes for the contest vary and are determined by the organizer. Winners are selected based on the quality, creativity, and relevance of their photos to the theme, with a panel of judges and possibly public voting as determining factors.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Shop Till You Drop

This coming week, those of us in the US will be celebrating our Thanksgiving holidays. But the day after that is Black Friday, where the shopping frenzy often occurs at many malls, department stores, etc. So the theme this week is all on shopping and the scene depicting a place where people shop and buy stuff. Online shopping, i.e. a photo of your computer screen showing an Amazon purchase, does not qualify.

To everyone celebrating the Thanksgiving holidays, have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can we afford to go shopping till we drop so soon after our spree in September? :oldsmile:

Last edited:
shoptildrop2.jpg

Likes DennisN, Rubidium_71 and davenn
@jtbell

what language is that ?
and do you know what it says ?

davenn said:
@jtbell

what language is that ?
and do you know what it says ?
I wondered myself. I educated-guessed Finnish. Google translate concurs, but offers a translation of "good vibe rings", which sounds kind of New Age. A little more research suggests that it's probably a pretzel stand.

Likes davenn
Yes, it screams Finnish (although Estonian looks a bit similar).

Looks like bottom lines list owner and the place.

Lappeenranta is a city in Karelia (Finland): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lappeenranta

Hanhijärvi is a nearby lake and a village (or hamlet? something small, but marked on Google maps with the name).

Likes davenn, jtbell, epenguin and 1 other person
Good detective work! A Viipurin rinkeli is a sort of large soft pretzel (kringle) named after the city of Viipuri (Vyborg) which Finland had to turn over to the (then) Soviet Union in World War II. Its entire population was resettled elsewhere in Finland.

This is at an open-air market in Hamina, about 20 miles west of the Finnish/Russian border, on the main road from Helsinki to Vyborg and St. Petersburg. When I took this picture in 1980, I think it would have been impossible for me, as a Westerner, to visit Vyborg.

And hyviä means "good."

Aha, I didn't know until now that Martti Ahtisaari, president of Finland from 1994 to 2000, was born in Viipuri.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
3N3A0481.jpg

Pedstrian Tunnel in Istanbul

Likes JBA, DennisN and BillTre
shopping.JPG

Likes DennisN
GUM Shopping Center, Moscow

shop.jpg

Likes davenn, berkeman and Rubidium_71
The Arcade, Cleveland OH.

DSC_0115.jpg

Likes davenn, berkeman, jtbell and 1 other person
Andy Resnick said:
The Arcade, Cleveland OH.

View attachment 253343
Who is the Copy-Cat, Cleveland or Moscow?

Likes davenn, berkeman and Ibix
PhanthomJay said:
Who is the Copy-Cat, Cleveland or Moscow?
Per Wikipedia -
Cleveland Arcade: built 1890.
Moscow GUM: built 1890-93.

We may have a case of parallel inspiration. The Wikipedia article about the Cleveland Arcade cites the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele in Milan.

Likes Ibix
May seem more drop than shop, but here a few floors in one of the temples of shopping, Selfridges, Oxford Street, London

Selfridges Nov 2007 013.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Rubidium_71, morrobay, BillTre and 1 other person
IMG_1786.jpg

Likes epenguin and BillTre
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Shop Till You Drop". This means that we are looking for photos that capture the excitement, energy, and diversity of shopping experiences.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, as long as they are 18 years of age or older. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

3. How many photos can I submit to the contest?

You may submit up to 3 photos to the contest. However, each photo must be unique and cannot be a duplicate of another submission.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for the photos?

Yes, there are a few guidelines that must be followed in order for your photo to be considered for the contest. The photo must be in JPEG format, at least 1000 pixels on the longest side, and cannot exceed 5MB in size. Additionally, the photo must not contain any watermarks or signatures.

5. How will the winners be determined?

The winners will be determined by a panel of judges who will evaluate the photos based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The top 3 photos will be selected as the winners and will be announced on our website and social media pages.