PF PHOTO CONTEST - Smile (11/01 - 11/08)

In summary, the contest topic is for pictures of babies smiling. You are allowed to use a picture only once, and you are allowed to resize it to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop it if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture, but those should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. You are allowed to add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. You are allowed to post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.
Borek
Mentor
Smile!

Those following photography thread know that it is not my idea, but this is week of substitutions - I am substituting for matthyaouw, and I will substitute Andre's contest theme for mine :smile:

You are free to interpret the topic any way you want. But it must be obvious where the smile is, and smiley below the picture doesn't qualify.

Borek

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you so much, Borek; So, obviously here it is, "smile-webs":

smilewebs.JPG

Wow, that is really cool, Andre!

Here is my baby brother with his little girl (age 6 months when I took this shot). Hayley is his pride and joy, and when he comes home from work, it doesn't matter who is holding her (mother, half-sister, grandmother, aunts...) - she lights up and babbles and squirms with her arms stretched out to him until he picks her up. You can pick either smile for the contest - they are both heart-warming to me.

smiles.jpg

turbo, was Hayley sleeping when you took the shot? Or did she close her eyes at the wrong moment? :biggrin:

I have seen many babies (typically a few months old) smile while they're asleep. I don't know why that happens (does anybody here know?), but they're very cute when they do that.

neutrino said:
turbo, was Hayley sleeping when you took the shot? Or did she close her eyes at the wrong moment? :biggrin:

I have seen many babies (typically a few months old) smile while they're asleep. I don't know why that happens (does anybody here know?), but they're very cute when they do that.
No, she wasn't sleeping, just VERY content. She hates to sleep when there is activity around her. And she smiles all the time. She is the youngest at day-care, and the preschoolers all love her, and the day-care ladies are nice, too. She has a loving extended family, and she has a father, mother, and sister who talk to her, play with her, read, sing songs, etc, etc, - she's just a really happy kid. Her half-sister is in her teens, and when her friends drop in, Hayley is the center of attention. I've got LOTS of pictures of her, and in almost every one she is smiling - contented little smiles like this when she's getting tired and relaxed, and great big "yahoo" grins when she wants to play or when she's getting attention.

This is her at about 8 months. Like I said in another thread, I don't know who got Einstein's office, but I think I know who got his tongue.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x318/turbo-1/hayleytongue.jpg

Last edited:
neutrino said:
That's a wonderful pic! :smile:
Thanks! She is a very animated little kid, so it's fun to get pictures of her.

zorro.jpg

Zorro and Ginger, my dogs 2 BFF.

Animal smiles are the best!

the dolphin is going to be tough to beat.

You have two days left to submit your photo. Not many pictures yet.

Still no pictures? Hey, yes you can! :smile:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3897/1000594yp2.jpg

My son last christmas!

Note: The fish in the tank in the background is also smiling :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
do funny pictures taken with mac's photo booth count?

can i vote for the dolphin already?

Oerg said:

No, because you need to vote for my son.

offtheleft said:
do funny pictures taken with mac's photo booth count?

I don't see a reason why not - as long as they don't break any of the rules listed in the first post. As far I was able to check Photo Booth can apply many effects to the original picture - that's not allowed. Besides - it doesn't have to be funny, it has to be about smile.

Oerg said:

Not yet.

smile.jpg

It not only smiles, but it winks every minute and blinks every hour.

I use to have a clock like that, back in the late 70's. Clever photo.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST this week?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Smile". We are looking for photos that capture genuine and authentic smiles.

2. How do I enter my photo in the contest?

To enter the contest, simply post your photo on social media with the hashtag #PFSmileContest. Make sure your account is public so we can see your entry.

3. Is there a limit to the number of entries I can submit?

No, there is no limit to the number of entries you can submit. However, please make sure each entry is unique and follows the contest theme.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who is interested in photography and follows the rules and guidelines of the contest. It is not limited to only scientists.

5. How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and how well the photo captures the theme of the contest. The winner will be announced on our social media pages and website.