Photo Contest - Song and Image (9/2-9/8)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Song and Image", where submissions should capture the essence of a song and can be accompanied by a relevant quote or lyric. Multiple entries are allowed, but they must be unique and follow the theme. Any type of camera can be used for submissions, and minor edits are allowed but major edits or filters will not be accepted. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Song and Image

Throughout the long history of the PF Photo Contest, I've used many themes based on song titles. "You Don't Bring Me Flowers", "She Blinded Me With Science", "Walking On Sunshine", "Blue Moon", ... were all popular tunes that were used as our theme contest.

This week, you get to choose a song title, and then find a photo that clearly depicts or matches that title. Please include the song title and, if possible, the artist or an artist that popularized the tune to accompany your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin
Physics news on Phys.org
Great theme!

Likes AlexCaledin
Prince Grigory Zasekin (16th century) is Back In The Saddle Again
8d2nb.jpg

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and DennisN
Likes AlexCaledin, fresh_42 and DrClaude
Valleys Deep and the Mountains So High (Barclay James Harvest)
25_garden wall.JPG

Likes DennisN, fresh_42, OmCheeto and 1 other person
DSC_0653_zpswb5bfzsn.jpg

No Quarter (duh...), Led Zeppelin tune.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Andy Resnick said:
View attachment 210440

Hint: Led Zeppelin tune.

You need to include the tune title or it will not be in the voting thread.

Zz.

"All By Myself" - Eric Carmen
IMG_2547.JPG

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin, DennisN and fresh_42

Coyote.2017.03.20.0944.am.png

"Coyote" - Joni MItchell

Likes DennisN and AlexCaledin
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Sometimes happens that I don't remember a pic of mine that would have been presentable in this contest, then I'm a bit annoyed with myself after when I remember it. So a few weeks ago there was comp with title "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" and I had forgotten this photo. But that's a song title so I have a second chance. Simon and Garfunkel 1970, in case you have never heard of it. :oldsmile:

Now if a competition for a theme closely related to "Fish Are Food Not Friends" were to come round again, by any chance,:oldsmile:, I would be able to unload my luckiest ever shot.

nx0xgl.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Song and Image". This means that the photo submission should capture the essence or mood of a song, and can be accompanied by a quote or lyric from the song.

2. Can I submit multiple entries for the photo contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple entries for the photo contest. However, please make sure that each entry is unique and follows the theme of "Song and Image". Duplicate entries will not be considered.

3. Do I need to have a professional camera to participate in the photo contest?

No, you do not need to have a professional camera to participate in the photo contest. You can use any type of camera, such as a smartphone or a point-and-shoot camera, to capture your photo entry.

4. Are there any restrictions on the type of editing allowed for photo submissions?

Minor edits, such as cropping or adjusting brightness/contrast, are allowed for photo submissions. However, major edits or use of filters that significantly alter the original photo will not be accepted. The focus should be on the actual photo and its representation of the theme.

5. How will the winner of the photo contest be determined?

The winner of the photo contest will be determined by a panel of judges who will evaluate the submissions based on creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme. The winner will be announced on the designated date and will receive a prize for their winning entry.