PF PHOTO CONTEST - Statuesque (10/20-10/26)

In summary: This was taken at the Rosicrucian museum-5 minute walk from home for me - San Jose Cali.Just in case you thought that it was an exaggeration as to how much it rains in Oregon, even our statues carry umbrellas.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Statuesque

The contest this week is all on statues. Your picture must have, as its main subject, a statue or more. Please make sure that it really is a statue and not some small carvings.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've not decided whether I want to use the pic yet, but would a carved ship figurehead count?

It was hard deciding which one to use... so I went with this: a different perspective on a well known statue

http://bikeflat.com/albums/july34/linc2.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Defaced George Washington Statue at Coventry St London. Done by very shifty looking bums having a whiskey party with a bombox!

wash.gif

matthyaouw said:
I've not decided whether I want to use the pic yet, but would a carved ship figurehead count?

I'm not sure what a "carved ship figurehead" is. If it is just a "head", then it probably would not qualify as a 'statue'.

Zz.

From my trip to Dublin 2 years ago.

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/Photo_contest/f3HPIM1819a.JPG

This is Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

Dublin was just awash in interesting sculpture. I had to make a choice.

San Francisco is weird. I call this, bean bag person.

IMG_3790.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes. Why do I find this picture rather disturbing?

Zz.

statue.jpg

Taken at Lalbaug Botanical Garden (Bangalore, India)

ZapperZ said:
Yikes. Why do I find this picture rather disturbing?

Zz.

:smile:
And bean bag person wasn't?

Yes, I think Chinese postmodern art is often meant to be disturbing, but I also think this is quite beautiful too, and I like the goldfish swimming around.

http://www.artezine.com/issues/20031201/plumb.htm
Hope this explains it better than I can!

Or else, does the disturbance mean that this doesn't fit the criteria?

Last edited:
fi said:
Or else, does the disturbance mean that this doesn't fit the criteria?

Er.. no. My "disturbance" has nothing to do with it. If it doesn't fit, I'll tell you.

Zz.

haha, no contest, headless ladies on a plate with fish wins in my book.

emmigrants3.jpg

A statue at the Humber Dock basin, Hull commemorating the journeys of more than a million migrants that passed through the city from northern Europe on their way to a life in the new world.

The hot tub at a hotel in Cuba...

Picture485.jpg

Last edited:
I had several pictures of statues that I've narrowed down to. But after being "traumatized" by that picture of headless figures in a pool, I decided to use a more familiar and "comforting" picture. :)

img3232ee3.jpg

Zz.

though a kind of naughty one...
ok maybe it's just me:redface:

It's just you.

:)

Zz.

You have less than 2 days left to enter a picture for this contest.

Zz.

http://www.jayofteror.com/uploads/IMG98-1193307533.jpg

This is taken at the Rosicrucian museum-5 minute walk from home for me - San Jose Cali.

Last edited:
Just in case you thought that it was an exaggeration as to how much it rains in Oregon, even our statues carry umbrellas.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/statue.jpg

Is that an actual statue, or is that one of those people who pretends to be a statue?

Last day to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

NeoDevin said:
Is that an actual statue, or is that one of those people who pretends to be a statue?

Its an actual statue by Seward Johnson called "Allow me".

Janus said:
Its an actual statue by Seward Johnson called "Allow me".

It is located in Pioneer Square, Portland Oregon. It was one of the first statues that came to my mind for this contest. Unfortunatly I do not have a picture of it ... yet.

Integral said:
It is located in Pioneer Square, Portland Oregon. It was one of the first statues that came to my mind for this contest. Unfortunatly I do not have a picture of it ... yet.

The first statues I thought of were the ones of Henry Huggins and Ribsy that we have over at Grant park. (In the very neighborhood where the stories by Beverly Cleary took place.)

1. What is the theme for the PF Photo Contest this week?

The theme for the PF Photo Contest this week is "Statuesque." This means that we are looking for photos of statues or sculptures that capture their beauty, grandeur, and presence.

2. How long do I have to submit my photo for the PF Photo Contest?

The submission period for the PF Photo Contest is from October 20th to October 26th. Any photos submitted after this time will not be considered for the contest.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF Photo Contest?

No, each participant can only submit one photo per week for the PF Photo Contest. If multiple photos are submitted, only the first one will be considered for the contest.

4. How will the winner be chosen for the PF Photo Contest?

The winner of the PF Photo Contest will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme of the submitted photo. The winner will be announced on October 28th.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?

The winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a $100 gift card to a photography store of their choice. They will also be featured on our website and social media pages.