PF PHOTO CONTEST - Take Me Out To A Ball Game (4/19-4/25)

In summary, Zz tells us that this week we must post pictures of sports and/or sporting events. MK has been selected to run the photo contest and the contest rules are as follows. One picture per member per contest, size must be no larger than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels, may only be used once, and must be related to the theme. There will be a poll at the end of the contest to choose the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Take Me Out To A Ball Game

This week, all your pictures must be on sports and/or sporting events.

Administrative update: I have selected MK to run the PF Photo Contest for the few weeks that I had mentioned earlier in another thread (4/26-5/17). I am sure he will do just wonderfully. He has free reign to select the contest themes while he is running the contest.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! No sports fans with cameras in here?

:)

Zz.

I have a good pic, but ill put it up later.

Imageshack is being weird, shoudl be up in a few minutes if Imageshakc sorts its life out.

Teed---sharp

teed.jpg

Cricket - The greatest ball game?

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5619/cricketga8.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
_Mayday_ said:
Cricket - The greatest ball game?

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5619/cricketga8.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

Can't be that great if no one is watching. :smile:

I actually like Cricket more than Baseball.

Two bottom of the table teams playing on a weekday...lucky to get more than 100!

This is the sportiest picture I have; the only other qualifying picture I have is of LYN playing croquet.
IMG_00033.jpg

In the Friendly Confines...

IMG_0080.jpg

Zz.

In the frozen tundra...

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6126/gbgamenx7.jpg [Broken]

Mororvia said:
In the frozen tundra...

Please double-check the size of your photo and resubmit.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wow! No sports fans with cameras in here?

:)

Zz.

I have NO pictures related to sports, and wouldn't think to bring a camera to a sporting event (nothing I want to remember that much). :biggrin: I guess we have to wait for all the parents to show up with the pics of their kids playing sports to get much going here.

Meeting the Mariner Moose in the now defunct King Dome.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/moose.jpg [Broken]

Janus said:
Meeting the Mariner Moose in the now defunct King Dome.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/moose.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

Mariner Moose? Who comes up with these mascots? If the team is the Mariners, shouldn't they have something maritime related as a mascot, oh, I dunno...like a mariner? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Mariner Moose? Who comes up with these mascots? If the team is the Mariners, shouldn't they have something maritime related as a mascot, oh, I dunno...like a mariner? :rofl:

From the Mariners web site:

The Moose was selected from over 2,500 entries submitted by children 14 and under across the Pacific Northwest. Ammon Spiller, a fifth grader from Central Elementary School in Ferndale, WA, came up with the idea. Ammon's one-page explanation of his suggestion included the following explanation: "I chose the Moose because they are funny, neat and friendly. The Moose would show that the Mariners enjoy playing and that they still have a few tricks up their sleeves. It shows they're having fun no matter what the situation." Along with being an entertaining character for Mariners fans, young and old, the Moose is a wonderful symbol of the great Northwest.

is that a freakin moose!?

Nooo.. Thats just wrong. Change it to the swordfish!

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Please double-check the size of your photo and resubmit.

Zz.

So close, yet so far away. Second attempt...

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9000/gbgamenx7lt8.jpg [Broken]

Janus said:
From the Mariners web site:

That kid is an idiot. When's the last time a moose had a trick up its sleeve? They fricking RAM INTO YOU! About as straight-forward as you can get.

Aquaman would have been way better.

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is a weekly contest organized by the scientific organization "PF" to promote the love for science and photography. Each week, a new theme is chosen for participants to submit their photos related to science.

2. How can I participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

To participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST, you can visit the PF website and follow the instructions for submission. Typically, you will need to submit your photo along with a brief description and your contact information.

3. What is the theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "Take Me Out To A Ball Game". This means that participants are encouraged to submit photos related to any aspect of baseball, such as stadiums, players, equipment, or even the science behind the game.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST, but only one photo will be considered as your official entry. Make sure to choose your best photo that fits the theme and meets the submission requirements.

5. Who will judge the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is judged by a panel of scientists and photographers who have expertise in the theme of the week. They will evaluate all the submissions and choose a winner based on creativity, technical excellence, and relevance to the theme.