Photo Contest - The Sound of Music (1/25-1/31)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "The Sound of Music" and is looking for photos that capture the essence of music. The contest is open for submissions from January 25th to January 31st, with a limit of 3 photos per participant. Judging criteria include creativity, originality, and how well the theme is captured, as well as technical elements. The contest will be judged by a panel of qualified individuals, including professional photographers and music experts, who will base their decisions solely on the submitted photos.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The Sound of Music

The Grammy Awards is tomorrow (Sunday). So our theme this week is on music. Your photo must show a clear connection to music, either being performed, being played, via musical instrument, musical equipment, etc. So a photo of a symphony orchestra, a saxaphone, a music CD, an 8-track player (who remembers that?), etc. all qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
CC Blessed be the Name of the Lord Live Still.png

Likes Klystron, davenn and morrobay
Playing the morin khuur (Mongolian horsehead fiddle). It has two strings: one made from 130 hairs from a stallion’s tail, one made from 105 hairs from a mare’s tail.
mongolianfiddle.jpg

Likes epenguin, Klystron, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
Dr. Courtney said:
How did you take this picture of yourself? Time delay shutter on a tripod? :wink:

berkeman said:
How did you take this picture of yourself? Time delay shutter on a tripod? :wink:

That's one method I use a lot. But this one is a still taken from a music video. The video camera was on a tripod, and I set it all up and hit the record button, walked into the frame and played the song, and then walked back to the camera and hit the stop button.

Let me mention that with today's digital cameras, often a great way to get good action shots in challenging conditions is simply to hit the video button. Sorting through the 30 frames each second for that one great shot is easier than getting all the settings just right and hitting the picture button at the right moment.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Finally I had the opportunity to show off my guitar effect pedals... :biggrin:

From left to right, top to bottom:
TC electronic Skysurfer Reverb, HB Dyna Compressor, Ibanez Modulation Delay III (quite old), Jim Dunlop Crybaby (a quite old wah pedal), HB AcTone (simulates Vox amplifiers), HB British (simulates Marshall amplifiers), HB American (simulates Fender amplifiers), HB Ultimate Drive (a Fulltone OCD distortion clone), HB Vintage Overdrive (a Tubescreamer clone) and finally the ProCo RAT (quite old and one of my favorite distorsion pedals).
49442404698_e292b562b9_c.jpg

Likes Klystron, morrobay, berkeman and 1 other person
marzena_music.JPG

Likes Dr. Courtney
music.jpg

• Wow
Likes marcusl, morrobay, DrClaude and 2 others
DSCN1606.JPG

This African musical instrument sounded like a harp.

Zz.

Likes epenguin, Klystron, morrobay and 1 other person
3N3A9692.jpg

Taksim, Istanbul.

Likes epenguin and Klystron
1580268271414.png

Playing classics/songs on phone via youtube

Jake and Elwood, the famous Blues Brothers...
blues brothers.JPG

• Love
Likes davenn, epenguin, Klystron and 2 others
You said preferably post from an image-hosting site like imgur. From goodwill to save your bandwidth, after days puzzling how to translate their instructions into actions looks like I've done it. But then it is framed by the rubbish you see - how do I get rid of that? And if possible make the pic bigger?

epenguin said:
You said preferably post from an image-hosting site like imgur. From goodwill to save your bandwidth, after days puzzling how to translate their instructions into actions looks like I've done it. But then it is framed by the rubbish you see - how do I get rid of that? And if possible make the pic bigger?

Are you directing this at me?

I didn't say I prefer one or the other. In the contest rules, I stated both. You can upload the photo to PF if you prefer that.

Why are you having this problem all of the sudden? I mean, you have entered photos for the contest numerous times before.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Are you directing this at me?

I didn't say I prefer one or the other. In the contest rules, I stated both. You can upload the photo to PF if you prefer that.

Why are you having this problem all of the sudden? I mean, you have entered photos for the contest numerous times before.

Zz.

My photos were also disqualified numerous times before :oldsmile: for excessive Mb, but now the former limitations have been lifted you have still made me feel guilty and abusive of PF resources :blushing: for not trying to reduce usage which I gathered is done when posting from hosting sites. All down to my poor computer mastery. Bu since it's OK with you I'll do it the way I can, Will this do?

US Marines at Ottowa Changing Guard Ceremony171.jpg

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

epenguin said:
My photos were also disqualified numerous times before :oldsmile: for excessive Mb, ...

It is so simple to compress images in size, kb and pixel wise, this really shouldn't be an issue for you

ANY image around 800 x 600 can easily be less than 100kb. There is no need to be posting images
that are 100's of kb to multi-MBytes

My fav quick image processor is Irfanview, it's free and easy to use
Just resize to ~ 800x600 and save with a 85% compression setting

done and dustedDave

epenguin said:
Will this do?

that's perfect the 1000pixels on the long side should be a maximum, unless it's a panorama competition like a few weeks ago. and your image at 176kb is very acceptable :smile:

Rubidium_71 said:
Jake and Elwood, the famous Blues Brothers...
View attachment 256276
LOVE this one, well done :partytime::partytime:

Likes Rubidium_71

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "The Sound of Music." This means that all submitted photos should capture the essence of music, whether it be through musical instruments, musicians, or any other creative interpretation.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, location, or professional status. Anyone with a passion for photography and an interest in music is welcome to submit their photos.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you will need to follow the guidelines outlined in the contest announcement, which will typically include emailing your photo to a designated email address or uploading it to a specific online platform. Make sure to also include your name, contact information, and a brief description of your photo.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, please make sure that each photo is unique and follows the theme of "The Sound of Music." Duplicate or similar photos will not be considered.

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges, who will evaluate each photo based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The top three photos will be chosen as the winners and announced on the designated date mentioned in the contest announcement.