PF PHOTO CONTEST - This Is Halloween (10/25-10/31)

In summary, this conversation involved a weekly photo contest with the theme of Halloween and the rules for submitting photos. Participants shared their own Halloween-related photos and discussed costumes and celebrations. One member also shared a photo of themselves in the morning.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This Is Halloween!

This week's contest involves pictures related to Halloween.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy Halloween

Boo!
2973376350_785fba4705_o.jpg

In general Halloween is not celebrated here, but I have posted - not long ago - a picture that I think is spooky enough to qualify...

fog.jpg

IMG_9333-1.jpg

Zz.

Last edited:
halloween.JPG

Ceramics made by the "clients" of my daughter. She is leading/coaching people with IQ<80 to do creative things and have a useful existence.

hypatia said:
A witch!

Burn her at the stake?

hypatia said:
goat.jpg

A witch!

:rofl: How long after the photo was taken did the costume get eaten? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: How long after the photo was taken did the costume get eaten? :biggrin:

Exactly my thoughts. I was even surprised that it was possible to take the picture :smile:

I was there for about a hour, but I heard she ate her broom earlier in the day.

hypatia said:
I was there for about a hour, but I heard she ate her broom earlier in the day.

Oh, so she was saving the rest for dessert. :biggrin:

Pumpkin_08007a.jpg

Jabba the Pumpkin?

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest. There should be plenty coming tomorrow, I presume.

Zz.

IMG_0960.jpg

I found this costume for like 5 bucks so I had to buy it. I figured it would be fun to make him mad, and as you can see in the picture he is a bit unhappy when the hood is up. But the little goof actually loves to wear it as long as the hood isn't up which I can hardly believe. No matter where I put it he finds it to me and brings it to me so I can put it on him, I've woken at night with it in my bed three times now.

Halloween parade today for the school-kids. The two little blond girls are my neighbor's granddaughters, and when the younger one saw me, she ran across the road hollering my name and gave me a candy bar. Such a sweetie! There seemed to be quite a few princesses this year. They'll come trick-or-treating after my wife gets out of work so she can see their costumes. She made up a couple of gifts for them last weekend using ceramic skull bowls and black ribbons. Florists' foam blocks in the bottom allowed her to arrange "bouquets" of lollipops, pencils, etc with some other candies covering the foam. The girls were thrilled, and they're already using the skulls to store their "treasures" like rocks, antique marbles, etc.

parade.jpg

Last edited:
scorpa said:
I found this costume for like 5 bucks so I had to buy it. I figured it would be fun to make him mad, and as you can see in the picture he is a bit unhappy when the hood is up. But the little goof actually loves to wear it as long as the hood isn't up which I can hardly believe. No matter where I put it he finds it to me and brings it to me so I can put it on him, I've woken at night with it in my bed three times now.
That's pretty crazy. Maybe if you enlarge the holes so his ears could stick out better, he wouldn't mind the hood. Too cute!

IMG_8690-1.jpg

Edward, did yours break?

GeorginaS said:
Edward, did yours break?

Image shack grrrrr Hmm that's odd my pic on Hypatia's birthday thread shows?

This is me. It's how I look in the morning. I'm in my pajamas and sitting in front of my computer reading PF.

I took this myself with my webcam.

meinthemorninga1gm6.jpg

Evo said:
This is me. It's how I look in the morning. I'm in my pajamas and sitting in front of my computer reading PF.

I took this myself with my webcam.

meinthemorninga1gm6.jpg

Would this be before coffee or after?

edward said:
Would this be before coffee or after?

After...the horns and tusks are much larger before. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
After...the horns and tusks are much larger before. :biggrin:

So it would be fair to say you wake up horny?

I wake up bug eyed and bushy tailed.

Moonbear is correct, that's me after coffee.

1. What is the theme for the PF PHOTO CONTEST "This Is Halloween"?

The theme for this PF PHOTO CONTEST is Halloween, meaning all photos submitted must be related to the holiday in some way.

2. When is the submission deadline for the PF PHOTO CONTEST "This Is Halloween"?

The submission deadline for this PF PHOTO CONTEST is October 31st at 11:59 PM PST.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST "This Is Halloween"?

Yes, you may submit up to three photos for this PF PHOTO CONTEST. However, please keep in mind that only one photo per person can be selected as a finalist.

4. How will the winners be chosen for the PF PHOTO CONTEST "This Is Halloween"?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on originality, creativity, and adherence to the theme. The finalists will be announced on November 2nd and the winners will be announced on November 4th.

5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST "This Is Halloween"?

The first place winner will receive a $100 gift card, second place will receive a $50 gift card, and third place will receive a $25 gift card. Additionally, all finalists will have their photo featured on our website and social media platforms.