Photo Contest - Urban Wildlife (4/27-5/3)

The conversation was about the best way to motivate employees to increase productivity. One person suggested offering financial incentives, while another argued for creating a positive work environment. The group ultimately agreed that a combination of both methods would be most effective.In summary, the conversation discussed different ways to motivate employees, with one person advocating for financial incentives and another for a positive work environment. It was concluded that a combination of both methods would be most effective.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Urban Wildlife

Our theme this week is on wildlife that lives among human civilization. Your photo must clearly show, as its main subject, a wildlife in an urban or human civilization.

The wildlife must be truly wild, i.e. it is not a captive animal such as in zoos or aquarium. The photo must also clearly show that the wildlife is in an urban or a civilization setting where there are usually plenty of people or activity. So a picture of a wild bird in the middle of a rural farm does not qualify. However, a pigeon on a power line in the middle of a city does qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bluebird above my back yard

• Love
Likes Rubidium_71, davenn, pinball1970 and 4 others
phinds said:
Bluebird above my back yard
A very cool photo! And a cool theme, @ZapperZ !

phinds said:
These are "wild" cats ? Sure don't look like it
They do become wild when unknown people approach them. "Unknown"means people who don't feed them.

Wrichik Basu said:
They do become wild when unknown people approach them. "Unknown"means people who don't feed them.
So they are domestic cats?

phinds said:
So they are domestic cats?
It's difficult to categorise them into domestic and wild. They are street cats, but people feed them. They live on the streets. Same applies for the dog. Some generous people come every afternoon and night with bowls of rice and feed these animals.

Wrichik Basu said:
It's difficult to categorise them into domestic and wild. They are street cats, but people feed them. They live on the streets. Same applies for the dog. Some generous people come every afternoon and night with bowls of rice and feed these animals.
Ah, well then I think they probably qualify after all.

Klystron said:
View attachment 242600Aside from an avatar this is my first time uploading a photograph, so pardon. The bird (lower center) is a male wild corvus, common name grackle. The photo taken through my kitchen window is framed by causarina pine and decorative bamboo branches 'planted' by local wild birds via droppings then allowed to thrive.

Here is a cropped image:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/242601

@Klystron : Please read the contest rules. As of now, your post for submission to the contest will not count.

PF Photo Contest Rules said:
4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

• Sad
Likes Klystron
Wrichik Basu said:
Sometimes generous people like this don't realize the animals as well as food need some water. I think the lack of it drives them, er, wild sometimes.

I and my dog were once attacked by cats, And another time without the dog I have seen menace.

epenguin said:
Sometimes generous people like this don't realize the animals as well as food need some water. I think the lack of it drives them, er, wild sometimes.
Water is almost always available. Almost every household puts out a bowl of water, so that animals and birds can drink. In the Indian tradition, giving water to thirsty people is given prime importance, and this generosity often extends to animals animals and birds too.

Likes davenn, Rubidium_71, kuruman and 2 others
In my kitchen a few minutes ago:

8CCEE4E9-31AE-4A6F-89BF-D7BF53133272.jpeg

• Sad
Likes davenn, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person

• Love
Likes epenguin, kuruman, davenn and 5 others
A bunny rabbit appeared in our apartment parking lot a couple years ago (right before Easter, appropriately). We couldn't tell if it was wild or an escaped pet, but it wasn't real friendly either way...

Easter Bunny at Alderwood 2015.jpg

Likes kuruman, DennisN, davenn and 2 others
This spring a hawk decided to visit the bird feeder on our backyard deck.
FinalPF_WL.jpg

Likes DennisN, morrobay, Marzena and 5 others
WindowSeat said:
This spring a hawk decided to visit the bird feeder on our backyard deck.
Welcome at McBirdy Fly-In. Your order, please!

Last edited:
Likes davenn
pinball1970 said:
What is that?
I see a vase. Or two faces. I'm not sure yet... :smile:

Likes BillTre
WindowSeat said:
This spring a hawk decided to visit the bird feeder on our backyard deck.View attachment 242687

Majestic. Beautiful and deadly.

Last edited:
He/she gets free food, and didn't have to pay admission. What a deal!
IMG_9404.JPG

Zz.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre, DennisN and 1 other person
This sneaked in my garage while I was doing some yard cleaning. I thought it might be looking to race against @berkeman's rabbit so I put it back outside and wished it bon voyage.

UrbanWildlife.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, phinds and 3 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

11b6wis.jpg

This fox is very relaxed, urban and is trying to be urbane as he smartens himself up on the patio of our flat in what counts as semi-central London. I have deliberately left in the window frame to show how close and confident he is. I have another pic of him peering in through the French windows as if demanding to know by what right we are there, but I may have posted it before, though I can't find it now. We are not always there so he took up residence in a period when we had not been. Later we found out what the big attraction have been for him - our local Council gives out a couple of large bags to everybody to put their garden waste in which they collect every week. We had one on the patio that was half full of leaves we hadn't put it out for collection. So it was like a luxurious featherbed for him. Since we realized he has had to find alternative accommodation. It is not rare in recent decades to see foxes in London, even in broad daylight. People used to say 'aaah', but since one of them bit a baby they have become slightly less sentimental.

Likes Rubidium_71, BillTre, berkeman and 3 others
When I saw Rubidium's I thought 'is this an insect that snails hitch a ride on?'

berkeman said:
A bunny rabbit appeared in our apartment parking lot a couple years ago (right before Easter, appropriately). We couldn't tell if it was wild or an escaped pet, but it wasn't real friendly either way...

View attachment 242681

Unfortunately, this photo is disqualified because it exceeds the size limit.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is urban wildlife. This includes any wildlife that can be found in an urban or city setting, such as birds, squirrels, raccoons, and even insects.

2. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo for the contest, you can either post it on social media with the hashtag #UrbanWildlifeContest or email it to the designated email address provided in the contest announcement.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for the photos?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that must be followed in order for your photo to be eligible for the contest. These include only submitting original photos, not using any photo editing software, and ensuring the photo is appropriate and does not violate any copyright laws.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and overall quality of the photo. The winner will be announced on the designated date provided in the contest announcement.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the contest?

The prize for the winner of the contest will vary depending on the specific contest. It could include a cash prize, a gift card, or a special recognition on the organization's website or social media pages.