PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland (12/8-12/14)

In summary: It's not turning out too well because my phone's camera is terrible and it's wet. :(In summary, this week's photo contest theme is winter sceneries, and members are allowed to post digital photos that depict winter scenes. Contestants are limited to one picture per member, and pictures must be submitted by 10 PM EST tonight. A poll will be opened at the end of the contest period to determine the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Walking In The Winter Wonderland

This week we will be starting with a series of photo contests that reflect the holiday season at this time of the year. Hope you had started to collect a lot of pictures! Our theme this week is on pictures depicting winter sceneries.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Our winter weather so far this year has been almost entirely dull and uninspiring. Snow is out of the question before the end of the week, but I'm hoping for a good frosty morning at least, otherwise I'll have to submit an old pic :frown:

Ok, here goes! The largest snow fall from last year...:grumpy:

394353159_0d61f2b702.jpg

I've got some stuff pending that might limit my photography time, so I'll toss this one into the mix. It's my garden (and the spruce at the NE corner) covered by snow. Lately, we have had really poor snowfalls to the point where ski resorts, snowmobile rentals, and restaurants and hotels/motels have been hurt really badly. Let's hope the snow stays this year. The yellow-orange lens flare is just an artifact of photographing on a bright day.

wintergarden.jpg

Had this thread been posted a few days sooner, I could have snapped a few photos of the snowfall we had last week before an entire weekend of torrential downpours washed it all away. I'm not sure if mud really says "winter wonderland." :uhh:

There's a very surprising shortage of pictures in this contest so far. What, the ice storm missed you?

:)

Zz.

I don't know yesterday's high here, but it was still 65 degrees at 10 PM last night! Not much of anything wintry about that. Today, back to pouring rain. If we got this all in snow instead of rain, I'd have some gorgeous pictures to share.

This photo contest geographically discriminates :tongue:

I wonder if I could take a picture of how it DOESN'T snow in Phoenix. We aren't going skiing until January.

Surely, by now someone must have put Christmas lights on a saguaro. That would be about as wintery as Phoenix could look, barring a freak snowstorm.

turbo-1 said:
Surely, by now someone must have put Christmas lights on a saguaro. That would be about as wintery as Phoenix could look, barring a freak snowstorm.

Well, we got some fog earlier this morning. I could have taken a picture of that for a Phoenix 'winter'.

Unfortunately, no one in my neighborhood had a saguaro in their yard, we have a couple cacti, but we didn't put lights on them.

If all else fails, I'll just take a photo of the rainy street, as that is fairly normal winter weather for here!

snow5.jpg

The magnolia in the back yard

I took a pic on my cellphone this morning on the way to my exam but now I can't make it go from my phone to my computer. Apparently working bluetooth is above my mental capabilities.

I took this apr 2006. We were four wheelin in a private reserve we have access to. It was a snowstorm in april. My buddy, who is driving the xterra in the pic used this shot for his family christmas cards that year,,Kudos for me as he is a professional wildlife photographer. I have more from this day if anyone is interested.

duneapril3-05043.jpg

Last edited:
A Long Island Christmas...

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5936/snow10smml2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for my first submission to a PF Photo Contest:

SnowDay1.jpg

waht said:
I took this shot on Kennicott Glacier in Alaska on low resolution camera unfortunately.
How do we know it was taken in Winter tho'...? :wink:

Final day to submit a photo for this contest. After a slow start, the pictures are coming in with very high quality.

Zz.

From the archives of 2005:

winterwonderland.JPG

Still not had any decent wintery weather, so have an old pic:
CNV00015.jpg

Ilkley moor in thick frost.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland?

The theme of the contest is "Walking In The Winter Wonderland," meaning that the photos submitted should feature winter landscapes, activities, or scenes.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland?

The contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of age, location, or experience level. However, participants must have a valid PF account to submit their photos.

3. How do I submit my photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland?

To submit your photo, you must first upload it to your PF account. Then, go to the contest page and click on the "Submit Entry" button. Select the photo you want to submit and click "Submit." Your photo will then be entered into the contest.

4. How many photos can I submit for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland?

Each participant can submit only one photo for the contest. If you submit more than one photo, only the first one will be considered.

5. How will the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Walking In The Winter Wonderland be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on December 15th and will receive a prize.