Photo Contest - Watching Grass Grow (9/3-9/9)

In summary, the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest encourages people to appreciate nature and showcase their creativity through photography. To enter, participants must submit a photo of grass following the contest guidelines. Edited photos are allowed, but should still capture the essence of the theme. The contest is open to all photographers, and the winner will be determined by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and relevance to the theme.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Watching Grass Grow

This week, the theme is slooooowwwwwwww. Your photo must convey clearly the idea of something that is moving or changing very slowly. Certainly this concept is subjective and relative. So it is up to the voters in the end to decide if what is being depicted can be considered as being "slow".

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. Submission for this contest is as slow as the theme itself!

Zz.

I have a perfect idea for the picture, unfortunately, flight there and back to Brisbane from here is about $2000, and not being sure I will win I am reluctant to invest this kind of money.

Borek said:
I have a perfect idea for the picture, unfortunately, flight there and back to Brisbane from here is about $2000, and not being sure I will win I am reluctant to invest this kind of money.

Do you have any historic churches with very old windows, around? My understanding is that the viscosity of the glass can be seen after hundreds of years.

Here's my submission:
pfgrass-contest01.jpg

What about

marcin_grass_grow.jpg

It took some time, no doubt about it :biggrin:

[PLAIN]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4029/dsc0441yv.jpg [Broken]

I used a fluid with a high viscosity, low surface tension, and low velocity to simulate water wetting a glass surface at a high speed (constant capillary number). Photos of the fluid dripping were not as good- those dynamics are controlled instead by the Bond number, so I would have needed to immerse the setup in a neutral buoyancy tank to do the simulation. Perhaps another time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes fireflies
398384613.jpg

I'm sure it took a while for this black widow I found yesterday to grow those 6 egg sacs . . .

Attachments

• blackwidowemily3.JPG
    blackwidowemily3.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 430
muffin.love said:
My sister walking slowly (using a Lomography Supersampler Camera)

Unfortunately, I think this might not conform to the spirit of the contest, since this is several shots.

Zz.

shelovesmath said:
I'm sure it took a while for this black widow I found yesterday to grow those 6 egg sacs . . .

Please read the rules of the contest. You need to upload it to a photo repository service, and then use the appropriate forum tags. Uploaded file cannot be used.

Zz.

Waiting for cooler weather.

2qd7tbm.jpg

... Waiting for veggies to get eaten. :biggrin:

[PLAIN]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3058/veggies.jpg [Broken]

Some fungi seem to pop up overnight, but this one has been developing for over a month. My neighbor has a very large tree-trunk with an overhanging branch that he hangs his mailbox from. Now it decorated with several clumps of fungi.

fungus_cont.jpg

Lichens grow very slowly. Some less than 1 mm for a year.

marzena_Watching_G_g.jpg

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, I think this might not conform to the spirit of the contest, since this is several shots.

Zz.

Oh really? It is the style of the camera though.. it has 4 lenses set together so it is from one capture onto 1 piece of film.

If it doesn't qualify.. I would like to submit the following instead :)

Ear cleaning in Vietnam... a very slow and very delicate process.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2467/p1070824n.jpg [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

muffin.love said:
Oh really? It is the style of the camera though.. it has 4 lenses set together so it is from one capture onto 1 piece of film.

Interesting problem - as it is not effect of post processing, I think it fits the rules. But it is up to Zz to decide.

http://shop.lomography.com/supersampler-rubberized-blue

Borek said:
Interesting problem - as it is not effect of post processing, I think it fits the rules. But it is up to Zz to decide.

http://shop.lomography.com/supersampler-rubberized-blue

It technically is a multi-shot.

I hate to have to make up a set of rules that gets too long and too complicated to cover every possible scenarios and combination under the sun. At some point, this whole thing will be too much of a hassle.

If people are still unsure of what this contest is about, let's make sure we all know that this is a simple photo contest, with no fuss, no muss, in which the scene you snap is the most paramount, rather than the technical wizardry. That is the spirit of the contest.

Would that clear up any future questions on what can and cannot be used here?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Would that clear up any future questions on what can and cannot be used here?

No :wink: Sooner or later there will be a picture when your decision will be required again, reality is just too diverse.

Which photo do you think I should have entered, the one used, or this one?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9109/slow3.jpg [Broken]

This one conveyed the idea of age much better, but I thought the berries made a nicer photo. Did I blow it by entering the berries? The wood is kind of cool, I thought.

Ivan Seeking said:

I would have had a very tough time deciding between this one and Ms. Music's.

In terms of slowness, the picture of the tree-stump with growth rings might have done it for me.

:cry:

I think it has about 85 rings. I had that cut that down about ten years ago, so ring one should be about 1915 - Model Ts were all the rage, WWI had just began, and Einstein was about to publish his General Theory.

Last edited:
Duh, growth rings OF COURSE!

:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Which photo do you think I should have entered, the one used, or this one?
This one conveyed the idea of age much better, but I thought the berries made a nicer photo. Did I blow it by entering the berries? The wood is kind of cool, I thought.

Yes, I think the tree would've been a better entry; it's a great picture and goes really well with the theme. You might've won my vote had you submitted that instead of the berries.

1. What is the purpose of the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest?

The purpose of the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest is to encourage people to appreciate the beauty and intricacy of nature, specifically the growth process of grass. It also serves as a way to showcase different perspectives and creativity through photography.

2. How do I enter the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest?

To enter the contest, simply take a photo of grass and submit it to the designated contest platform or website. Be sure to follow any specific guidelines or rules set by the organizers.

3. Can I edit my photo before submitting it to the contest?

Yes, you are allowed to edit your photo before submitting it to the contest. However, make sure that the edited photo still captures the essence of the theme and does not alter the image too much.

4. Who can participate in the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest?

The contest is open to anyone who has an interest in photography and the growth process of grass. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to join.

5. How will the winner of the "Watching Grass Grow" photo contest be determined?

The winner of the contest will be determined by a panel of judges who will evaluate each photo based on creativity, composition, and relevance to the theme. The winner will be announced after the contest period has ended.