Photo Contest - Waterworld (6/27-7/3)

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of time management and setting goals. The speaker emphasized the need to prioritize tasks and eliminate distractions in order to achieve success. They also mentioned the benefits of breaking down big goals into smaller, achievable ones and the importance of staying motivated and focused.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Waterworld

The requirement for this contest is not as simple as at first glance, so you should pay a bit more attention.

The theme is on water, but it must be ALL water. Your photo must show water over the entire photo, not just over a majority of it. Every square inch (or mm) of your photo must show water.

So a photo taken underwater qualifies. A photo of a water surface and nothing else in the photo also qualifies. A photo of water taken through a clear, transparent glass also qualifies as long as the glass medium is not apparent.

The only exception being made here will be the inclusion of objects that are in the water. So fish, rocks, etc. that are in the water are allowed. Thus, a photo of the inside of a fish tank qualifies IF it does not show the outline of the tank itself. A photo of water in the pool showing the bottom of the pool (and maybe coins resting at the bottom of the pool) also qualifies.

So show us your water world!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have prettier pictures of things in water, this is one of my favorites from a physics in biology point of view.

This zebrafish (in an aquarium) has a pigmentation mutation. (Gave the mutant to a friend who researches ZF pigmantion patterning and mutants.)
Most normal pigmentation cells are not present, but iridophores (a reflecting structural pigmentation containing kind of pigmentation cell) cover more of the body than is normal.
The structural pigment is flat crystals (lying parallel to the body surface tangent), in the pigment cells (packed in vesicles), that reflect light. The spacing between different reflecting surfaces in the crystals is different depending upon the the angles that the body surface is illuminated and observed from.
The result is the rainbow-like color pattern (blue, green, yellow, red from top to bottom) across the fish's body.

IMG_2923.jpeg

Likes DrClaude, chemisttree, DennisN and 4 others
This is an action shot of a 15 lb black drum being caught in one of my favorite fishing spots in Grand Isle, Louisiana. The fish was released to fight another day.
Rocking the Grand Isle Drum Hole.png

Likes etotheipi, rsk and BillTre
Dr. Courtney said:
an action shot of a 15 lb black drum
Looks like Jaws! :oops:

Likes etotheipi
fish pond.jpg

• Love
Likes etotheipi, rsk, davenn and 2 others
img-628015447-00011111.jpg

Some nice water at the Similan Islands

Likes BillTre, etotheipi and rsk
f300171.jpg

Likes Marzena, davenn, rsk and 3 others
6MXGJNe.png

Likes davenn, Rubidium_71, Marzena and 4 others
A scout from the shadow hive.

EC7E4EB2-8BB0-43BC-B658-88DEB0628EDA.jpeg

Likes fresh_42, BillTre, etotheipi and 1 other person
fish.JPG

Likes BillTre and etotheipi
OK, so it appears that the theme for this contest is getting away from me.

Let me remind you that everything in your photo must be in the water. The only exception here is a clear, transparent glass that may hold the water in case of a water tank or aquarium. Otherwise, if there is anything else that is not water, that object must be IN the water completely.

So an object floating on water is not in the water. A fish that is partially submerged in the water is also not in the water. Therefore, photo submissions so far by @Dr. Courtney (if I interpret the picture correctly) , @rsk , and @jtbell do not qualify. You may resubmit if you wish.

Zz.

OK, actually immersed completely in the water... now I get it!

diving with sharks

1593420427187.png

• Wow
  • Love
Likes Marzena, morrobay, Rubidium_71 and 6 others
Ok, my mistake. Resubmitting. Do I have to delete the original one?

DSCF2714-X2.jpg

• Love
Likes Ibix, morrobay, davenn and 5 others
rsk said:
Ok, my mistake. Resubmitting. Do I have to delete the original one?

View attachment 265480
Makes a great wallpaper. The color is amazing!

Likes rsk
chemisttree said:
Makes a great wallpaper. The color is amazing!
Feel free!

Are they catfish?

chemisttree said:
Are they catfish?

It's all fun and games until you realize that it's zoomed way out and it's actually hundreds of sharks, and you are way below the surface, running out of oxygen, and have to reach the surface in order to escape being eaten alive

Likes chemisttree
They look like catfish to me.

Likes etotheipi
I'm ashamed to say I don't know but apparently yes, catfish do live in the cenotes. This is the photo I meant when I said I was torn between it and the original one. It's Cenote Hubiku near Valladolid in Yucatan, México. Cenotes are pools, often well below ground level but open at the top which creates beautiful light effects. There are loads of them there, some of them very touristy but others still quiet and peaceful.

Teaching physics has allowed me to see some amazing places ;)

Early morning -- the calm before the storm... (medical shift at a big swim meet) :smile:

Rinconada Swim Meet 2015 cropped.jpg

Likes chemisttree, morrobay, davenn and 3 others
davenn said:
Hard to tell if that is water, mud, lava or chocolate :wink:
My guess was basalt from the Kīlauea.

Likes davenn
chemisttree said:
Are they catfish?
definitely look like it ... they have the "feeler" thingies ( really scientific haha) coming off their snouts,
sharks dont

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:
My guess was basalt from the Kīlauea.
davenn said:
Hard to tell if that is water, mud, lava or chocolate :wink:

It's the surface of water, honestly- in the wake of a boat. Fast shutter speed and high viewpoint.

davenn said:
"feeler" thingies
Barbels.
Besides touch sensitivity, they are covered with taste buds, as are most of many catfishes's bodies.
They have been called swimming tongues.

Last edited:
Likes rsk and davenn
Water Light.png

Likes BillTre, etotheipi, Rubidium_71 and 1 other person
DSCN0096.JPG

Likes Marzena, Rubidium_71, BillTre and 4 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

fullsizeoutput_137c.jpeg

Likes morrobay, Rubidium_71, BillTre and 1 other person

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Waterworld", which means that all submitted photos should feature bodies of water such as oceans, lakes, rivers, or even raindrops.

2. How many photos can I submit?

You can submit a maximum of 3 photos per person for this contest.

3. What are the criteria for judging the photos?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, composition, and how well they fit the theme of "Waterworld". Technical aspects such as lighting, focus, and editing will also be taken into consideration.

4. Can I edit my photos before submitting them?

Yes, minor editing such as cropping or adjusting brightness/contrast is allowed. However, excessive editing or adding elements that were not originally in the photo will result in disqualification.

5. How will the winners be chosen?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges who are experts in photography and/or water conservation. They will carefully review all submissions and select the top 3 photos based on the judging criteria.