Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Photo Contest - When You Wish Upon A Star (7/6 - 7/16)

1. Jul 6, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When You Wish Upon A Star

The Space Shuttle is back in space. To mark that occasion, the photo contest theme this time will be on anything and everything related to NASA, Astronomy, the Heavens, Space Travel/Exploration, etc.

You will have a few extra days to submit a photo since I will be gone all of next week running a workshop.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zz, I've got a question. Is there a reason the size limit is 650X490 and not 650X650? The former requirement favors landscape over portrait (orientations), while the latter is unbiased.

4. Jul 6, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You could have it 490x650. While having the protrait picture going all the way out to 650 in width would not cause any webpage misallignment, I thought I'd be fair in terms of restricting overall size (people tend to have an unconsciously favor towards bigger pictures).

Besides, it loads faster and if you're reading the last page posted on that page, it doesn't get pushed out by that much with smaller pictures.

Zz.

5. Jul 6, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would work just fine. Could you make that explicit from the next time?

This round's theme looks like a tough one...unless you live in Florida! :wink:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  6. Jul 6, 2006 #5
    The Milky Way
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 6, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, very nice, I haven't seen anything like that since I lived in upstate NY. :cry:

Where was that taken?

8. Jul 6, 2006 #7
    Nice picture. There is too much city light here to see anything that nice.

9. Jul 6, 2006 #8
    Las Vegas, New Mexico

10. Jul 6, 2006 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... Isn't Las Vegas in Nevada? Or is there another Las Vegas in NM?

Zz.

11. Jul 6, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is indeed a Las Vegas, NM, in the middle of nowhere east of Santa Fe.

I don't think Las Vegas, NV would be a particularly good locale for astrophotography.... :rofl:

- Warren

12. Jul 6, 2006 #11
    I don't think I'm going to be able to get a good pic for this one. I wish I could get a pic of the Northern Lights but that won't happen as long as I'm in the city.

13. Jul 6, 2006 #12
  14. Jul 6, 2006 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Now don't give up so easily. Use your imagination. Remember, anything related to NASA, Astronomy, etc.... You don't need just pictures of the heavens to keep up with the theme.

Zz.

15. Jul 6, 2006 #14

Haha ok I'll try and see what I can come up with :smile:

16. Jul 7, 2006 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unfortunately, I can't accept that photo, per our contest rules

Zz.

17. Jul 7, 2006 #16
    Here is a picture of a sunset with a jet contrail that I took atop Las Campanas Observatory, in Chile.
    [​IMG]

18. Jul 7, 2006 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

Would planes count...?

19. Jul 7, 2006 #18
    Having posted a picture of an iridium flare in an earlier contest, this is the photo that best suits the topic from what I have.

[​IMG]

20. Jul 7, 2006 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Planes in general do not count, unless it has a direct connection to either NASA, or any astronomy/astrophysics experiments, or space flights.

Zz.

21. Jul 7, 2006 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Here's my entry - M42, the stellar nursery in Orion. Astro-Physics 6" f:8 APO refractor, OM-1 camera at prime focus loaded with Konica ASA 3200 color negative film. 20 minute hand-guided exposure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?