Photo Contest - You Cannot Violate The Laws Of Physics (7/16-7/22)

In summary, the photo contest has the theme of "You Cannot Violate The Laws Of Physics" and is open to all scientists, researchers, and science enthusiasts. Any photos that showcase the laws of physics in a creative and visually appealing way are allowed, with a maximum of 3 entries per participant. The deadline for submissions is July 22nd.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
You cannot violate the laws of physics

Sure you can't, but can you find photos that makes it APPEARS to be that you are? That's our theme for this week. Your photos must contain something that makes it appears as if a law of physics is being violated.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Finally! A chance to use this one. I shot a flash picture of a fossil-rock that was resting on top of my woodbox. The top is pine painted an antique mustard yellow. When I downloaded the image to my PC, I was surprised to see that the rock appears to be levitating. Very odd effect.

floatingfossil_comt.jpg

My magnetic suspension system
levitate.png

The inspiration for this was Rutherford's comment regarding his discovery of the atomic nucleus: a result "as surprising as if you were to fire cannon balls at tissue paper and have them bounce back at you"

[PLAIN]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9615/dsc8484u.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last day to submit a photo that appears to violate the laws of physics.

C'mon! Where are all the crackpots when you need them?

:)

Zz.

Khemist, did you take that photo yourself?

That is what I would like to know too. If it isn't clarified by the deadline, I cannot use it as part of this contest.

Zz.

These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

I am no expert, but if you look ever so closely at his feet you will see a small thin line of lighter pixels around each of his shoes. It looks like he photo shopped himself into the background. If photo shopping is allowed and he took a picture of himself and edited it into the background, does it still qualify ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
I am no expert, but if you look ever so closely at his feet you will see a small thin line of lighter pixels around each of his shoes. It looks like he photo shopped himself into the background. If photo shopping is allowed and he took a picture of himself and edited it into the background, does it still qualify ?

Rhody...

Rule #2 would disqualify that. you can crop, edit brightness/contrast, but not make dramatic changes.

I'll confess to just loving turbo's first pic for this contest.

physics girl phd said:
I'll confess to just loving turbo's first pic for this contest.
And I'll confess to having NO idea how this picture showed up looking so oddly. The rock was sitting on the top of our wood-box and when I shot it and downloaded to my PC, it seemed like the rock was floating. I haven't been able to replicate that. It's just odd.

rhody said:

Rhody...

Personally I think he's just jumping and in mid-air. His shirt seems to be moving upwards. Must have been a fast exposure.

Pengwuino said:
Personally I think he's just jumping and in mid-air. His shirt seems to be moving upwards. Must have been a fast exposure.
Ok Peng,

Then, what about the small ribbon of pixels around his shoes ? Plus the shadows on his body don't match the natural light angle either.
Or, are you just busting my chops for another laugh, which is it ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Ok Peng,

Then, what about the small ribbon of pixels around his shoes ? Plus the shadows on his body don't match the natural light angle either.
Or, are you just busting my chops for another laugh, which is it ?

Rhody...

I don't really think the lighting looks wrong, but I don't really have much training in this :P I don't know what you're talking about with his shoes though.

Pengwuino said:
I don't really think the lighting looks wrong, but I don't really have much training in this :P I don't know what you're talking about with his shoes though.

2llbz9t.jpg

Look at his left leg and how the color is different (almost white, not the color of the background) right around the edge of his shoe and pants. I don't think that is natural, just a bad photo shop job. I know an expert and he spent 45 minutes with photo shop and removed a washed out area from the right shoulder a picture of my daughter in Hawaii a few years back, unless you had criminal or experimental pixel analysis software, no one could tell the difference. This on the other hand is an obvious (to me anyway) hack job.

Maybe he was trying to be funny, Zz's last comment in the post before was:
C'mon! Where are all the crackpots when you need them?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Look at his left leg and how the color is different (almost white, not the color of the background) right around the edge of his shoe and pants. I don't think that is natural, just a bad photo shop job. I know an expert and he spent 45 minutes with photo shop and removed a washed out area from the right shoulder a picture of my daughter in Hawaii a few years back, unless you had criminal or experimental pixel analysis software, no one could tell the difference. This on the other hand is an obvious (to me anyway) hack job.

To me, that's clearly the water crashing together in the background. I haven't really zoomed in however, as I barely care :P Take that!

ZapperZ said:
That is what I would like to know too. If it isn't clarified by the deadline, I cannot use it as part of this contest.

Zz.

Just wondering why? The photo is not dissimilar to the photo in post no. 5 in this thread-
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=496724

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, if it were photo shopped he did a good job, except for the apparent artefact under his left foot, which *just* might be something else.
The lighting looks right and the blending seems to be proper (except for the artefact).

So the only thing wrong with it would be that it appears to violate the laws of physics, being in the picture himself, and being seen as levitating. :smile:

A clarification would be nice though. :wink:

I like Serena said:
As far as I can tell, if it were photo shopped he did a good job, except for the apparent artefact under his left foot, which *just* might be something else.
The lighting looks right and the blending seems to be proper (except for the artefact).

So the only thing wrong with it would be that it appears to violate the laws of physics, being in the picture himself, and being seen as levitating. :smile:

A clarification would be nice though. :wink:
(my bolding)

Ok, that explains my confusion. I didn't know that this was known to be khemist in the shot. Questions of photoshopping were another matter.

fuzzyfelt said:
(my bolding)

Ok, that explains my confusion. I didn't know that this was known to be khemist in the shot. Questions of photoshopping were another matter.

Sorry, I do not know if this is khemist in the shot.
It would appear to violate the laws of physics though, if he is! :wink:

fuzzyfelt said:
Just wondering why? The photo is not dissimilar to the photo in post no. 5 in this thread-
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=496724

I need confirmation that this photo was taken by the member submitting it, and not taken off another source. Since the member listed a link to another site, and there's no clarification that he/she took it, there's no way to determine this.

While the photos in this contest may appear to violate the laws of physics, it cannot appear to violate the rules of the contest.

Zz.

I like Serena said:
Sorry, I do not know if this is khemist in the shot.
It would appear to violate the laws of physics though, if he is! :wink:

ZapperZ said:
I need confirmation that this photo was taken by the member submitting it, and not taken off another source. Since the member listed a link to another site, and there's no clarification that he/she took it, there's no way to determine this.

While the photos in this contest may appear to violate the laws of physics, it cannot appear to violate the rules of the contest.

Zz.

:) I understand now! Thanks very much for the responses.

lol you guys are crazy. I just used a timed shutter and a stopwatch to time it...

Are you seriously accusing me of cheating in an online photo contest? I don't even win anything! But I guess I am flattered?

Funny! You would probably have won! Pity you did not clarify this in time. :smile:

khemist said:
lol you guys are crazy. I just used a timed shutter and a stopwatch to time it...

Are you seriously accusing me of cheating in an online photo contest? I don't even win anything! But I guess I am flattered?

No one is accusing you of anything. Often, I come across participants who may not have either read, or understood all the rules (see how often I had to remind someone to RESIZE his/her photos - was he/she trying to cheat?). So when you produce a link to another site where the photo is available, look at it from my perspective. It is natural to consider that this was taken by someone else, and that was what I wanted you to clarify.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No one is accusing you of anything. Often, I come across participants who may not have either read, or understood all the rules (see how often I had to remind someone to RESIZE his/her photos - was he/she trying to cheat?). So when you produce a link to another site where the photo is available, look at it from my perspective. It is natural to consider that this was taken by someone else, and that was what I wanted you to clarify.

Zz.

It wasnt necessarily you, rather the people who thought they were able to dissect my photos and say that I used photoshop. While of course I use it to adjust levels, dodge, burn, etc, there is no other photomanipulation involved.

What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "You Cannot Violate The Laws Of Physics." Participants are encouraged to capture images that showcase the beauty and complexity of the laws of physics in action.

Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to all scientists, researchers, and science enthusiasts. Anyone with an interest in physics and photography is welcome to participate.

What types of photos are allowed in the contest?

Any photos that showcase the laws of physics in a creative and visually appealing way are allowed in the contest. This can include images of natural phenomena, scientific experiments, or even artistic interpretations of physical concepts.

How many entries can I submit to the contest?

Each participant is allowed to submit a maximum of 3 entries to the photo contest. This is to ensure that the judging process is fair and all submissions are given equal consideration.

What is the deadline for submitting photos to the contest?

The deadline for submitting photos to the contest is July 22nd. Any entries received after this date will not be considered for judging. Make sure to submit your photos before the deadline to be eligible for the contest.