Photo Contest - Your city/neighborhood (Apr 27 - May 5, 2006)

In summary: I'll start uploading my pictures now! :)In summary, Evo thought it was a good idea for a photo contest to be held in PF. Rules were discussed and it was decided that digital photos taken in the city/neighborhood where the participant lives are allowed. A poll will be held to determine the winner. Zz.Good idea!
ZapperZ said:
I hope you didn't go to all that trouble JUST to submit a picture for this contest!

:)

Zz.
This contest just provided a good excuse to do something that's a lot of fun to do. I still can't believe we lost the rocket. It came down on a disc golf course and several people we talked to had at least some idea of where it came down at. I'd hate to think it, but I'm a little suspicious that one of the 'golfers' may have absconded with our payload data (who knows, maybe it hit him or landed a bit too close for comfort, so he took it out of spite). Just illustrates why there's so many range safety requirements for launches.

We also have a radio controlled airplane, so phase II will be to recreate the early days of satellite reconnaisance. Once we learn how to fly the plane and quit getting it stuck in trees and on rooftops, we'll attach a net behind it, launch our rocket, and then snatch our film canister out of mid-air. And if we succeed, we'll all drink down a bottle of Corona.

So far, we're doing a pretty good job of accurately recreating http://www.nro.gov/corona/clip05.mpg .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I suspect that you're not that far away from me.
Normally I don't take pictures, and I don't drive around sightseeing. This was taken when W and I drove to a neighbouring town after Easter dinner (not my idea; I got stuck with a Christian :eek: ) She's from Flatland, so she wanted me to get a couple of shots. Pardon the lack of quality; it was taken with a $50 2 mp Vivitar by holding it out the car window at 115 kph. To give a better understanding of scale, that sucker's a couple of miles away behind a ridge. Those are very tall trees growing on it. It's part of the foothills leading into the Rockies east of Banff.

Err... Danger, please resize your picture per the contest rule:

3. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels.

Also, while I won't force it, this contest really is a picture of your neighborhood or the city you live in. There will be contest in the future of sightseeing pictures and other natural wonders.

Zz.

Oops! I didn't realize how big that thing was until I saw it. :redface:
It looked a lot smaller in the camera. I just put it in because others had nice looking sunsets and whatnot, so I figured that within a couple of dozen miles of home counted as 'neighbourhood'. I'm deleting it from here, and will take one closer to the house.

Mk said:
Hmm, I looked hard to find the angle. Looks like almost 10˚.

Nah, if you rotate it 1 degree in an image editor, the two sides of the tower are equally tilted. The building on the right is ALWAYS going to have an angle because of the perspective (as will the sides of the tower).

If you want a REAL tilt, try this one (Larchmont, two towns south of me):
tilt.jpg

Last edited:
Danger said:
Oops! I didn't realize how big that thing was until I saw it. :redface:
It looked a lot smaller in the camera. I just put it in because others had nice looking sunsets and whatnot, so I figured that within a couple of dozen miles of home counted as 'neighbourhood'. I'm deleting it from here, and will take one closer to the house.

Oh, that's fine if you want to keep it. I mean, if that is part of your "surrounding", it is perfectly acceptable.

I chose this theme because it would be fascinating (at least to me) to see what various people from differnt parts of the world on here see almost every day, or what they call "home". I love diversity, and would love to see, in a small way, how and where others live. I hope others on here feel the same way.

Zz.

heartless said:
Where is that from? Do you live somewhere on prairie?

Alberta...yeah i lived in the prairies. I moved to the city for university this year but that's still home to me.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8914/newhampshire0314yj.jpg

This is the stream at my mum's old office. i wanted to submit a view from the top of one of the mountains, but they're all on my home comp.

Our local Civic Center in Maryborough Victoria Australia. It's a night time view because that's what time it will be when you are looking at it.

Attachments

• P04-30-06_20.29.jpg
    P04-30-06_20.29.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 379
Tzemach said:
Our local Civic Center in Maryborough Victoria Australia. It's a night time view because that's what time it will be when you are looking at it.

You need to upload this to one of the image servers such as image shack or photo bucket, and then use the IMG command to display your image here. If not, I cannot use it when we do our polling.

Zz.

This is the last day to submit your pictures for this contest.

Zz.

This one is from Chascomus lake argentina, a place where i go to relax in the weekends
i took it with "light bulb white balance"

http://200.49.210.251/chasco/Contest.jpg

Here is a shot taken on the drive between mine and Ivan and Tsu's home.

https://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/west.JPG

The camel back peak in the back ground is Mary's Peak, the highest point in the Oregon Costal Range.

My son took this picture in front of our house last fall.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9781/fallcolorfromyard8gt.jpg

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7030/snow7pc.jpg
Our yard.

Kinda wondering, shouldn't the contest be city/neighborhood instead of nature around us?

heartless said:
Kinda wondering, shouldn't the contest be city/neighborhood instead of nature around us?

What city? I could drive to the nearest town an take pictures is you like. :biggrin:

Last edited:
It's not my city, but it is my neighborhood--you can see other roofs between the trees. I could show you cars and my front lawn, if we were allowed more than one photo per person...

Ivan Seeking said:
What city? I could drive to the nearest town an take pictures is you like. :biggrin:

No, no. I'm not talking about your picture, sorry for misunderstanding.

I like your yard, Ivan. Where do you live?

Thanks marcusl, we certainly love it. We're in Oregon.

Rural and city living each have their advantages. :biggrin:

Can I submit one tommorw?I've been busy lately and I didn't have the time.

Ah crap, anyway you could extend this one day?

LYN, I was at the Queen Mary a few years ago, and the view of the Long Beach nightime skyline is absolutely stunning. They have done a beautiful job down there.

Well, I haven't lived in Long Beach for a little over a year now, but the view of the Sonoma valley from here is pretty nice. I think I could get a very good photo up if it's sunny tomorrow.

I wondered about the "Wine Country". I didn't realize that you moved.

Can we have an extra day? I also need to develop, find/scan one :smile:

Ok... till the end of May 6 (today).

Zz.

This is quite a common sight in my area. Less so, but far from rare, are bears, moose, cougars, bighorn sheep (:tongue2: ), bald eagles, more deer than you can count, elk, etc. etc. etc..

As you can see, most of them are thoroughly engrossed in the 'Ellen' show, the near one is wondering what the hell kind of bird that is (an L-1011), and the one on the left suddenly realized that I didn't have any pants on.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6271/goatsjpg4st.jpg

Sunset from my home in Long Beach, CA (Alamitos Bay in the neighborhood of Naples).
NaplesSunsetredgold.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6623/hillandfarm19kk.jpg

Here is the field across the street from me.

Oh Wow! TheSwerve, that is so beautiful! And to think it is just down the road from me! I would take a photo of our lovely Marina Del Rey sunsets, but I am such a klutz with a camera. It would be a mess.

Ah well, I haven't found the power supply of my scanner in all the moving boxes yet, good luck to the contestants :smile: