Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Photo Contest - You're So Cold, You're So Cold! (8/9-8/15)

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're So Cold, You're So Cold!

A few weeks ago we had a photo contest to depict the epitome of summer. This time, we go the opposite direction. The photo contest this week requires a photo which (i) makes you feel cold, (ii) leaves you with a cold feeling, or (iii) gives you the chills! So this contest is highly subjective to the feeling of the individual viewer. Note that the picture need not depict wintery or cold scenary, so use your imagination.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 9, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you're asking for the "technical" aspect of it, it depends on who took it if that's a picture of you. If it was done by someone else, it doesn't qualify. If you used a tripod, then it does.

As for if it qualifies, or relevant to the contest theme, that's up to the people who will be voting for it. Since you admitted it wasn't very cold, then you have to hope that the picture sends chills through the spines of people who viewed it!

<ZapperZ runs and ducks> :)

Zz.

5. Aug 9, 2006 #4

turbo

Gold Member

This is my neighbor's dog Jaxx, when he returned from the vet's after being "fixed". I didn't even know he was broken, but maybe that's why the glum expression and why he's got his butt planted in the snow. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. Aug 9, 2006 #5
    This is the fridge after stocking it at my friends cottage.
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 9, 2006 #6

Mk

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Aug 9, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like it. :biggrin:

9. Aug 9, 2006 #8

Mk

What is in there? Beer, sausage, and mustard?

10. Aug 9, 2006 #9
    haha ya, we hadn't put the steaks and burgers in at that point (wasn't much room left)

11. Aug 9, 2006 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Contest over.

12. Aug 9, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe we should judge this round more objectively - say, based on the lowest temperature attained by the subject of the picture! :devil:

13. Aug 9, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you guys are getting this contest all wrong. These are not pictures that are supposed to leave you with warm, cozy, and "content" feeling (isn't that what you feel when you see a fridge full of beer?)! :)

Zz.

14. Aug 9, 2006 #13

Mk

Then again a close friend might have been an alcoholic.

15. Aug 9, 2006 #14

rcgldr

Homework Helper

That Oklahoma faked picture of a dismembered motorcyclist would give most the chills, but I didn't take it, and it is a fake (pretty good one though), and I don't have any pictures I've taken worthy of rotten.com or similar sites. Oh well, will have to dig through the archives for winter pictures.

16. Aug 9, 2006 #15
    Rime encrusted trail sign and Krummholz along the Appalachian Trail:

[​IMG]

-GeoMike-

17. Aug 9, 2006 #16
    That is a great one!

18. Aug 9, 2006 #17
    I love it man, awesome pic.

19. Aug 9, 2006 #18

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multnomah Falls last Winter.

[​IMG]

20. Aug 9, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Cool! :cool: :tongue2: :approve: :rofl: :biggrin:

21. Aug 9, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At last, a thread where I can use my sheep in snow picture! Except...dum dum dum...as I went to get it out to scan it (the old scan I have is pretty crummy, so I think I can get a cleaner scan now), I realized I have not one, but THREE sheep in snow pictures! I can't decide which to use. :cry: I think I've narrowed it down to two (one has big spots on it from where the lens got wet from the falling snow). One is prettier scenery surrounding the sheep and better focused, but the other definitely looks colder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?