Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
In order to help with server load, we are splitting up the larger threads.

This is a continuation of the original Random Thoughts thread located here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338126

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yay first post to the new random thoughts thread

Congrats!

collinsmark said:
Yes, that was an incredible game. It's one that I will play again. I have to say, after playing it, it haunts me. I've never been haunted by a game before. Yet there it is with Bioshock: Infinite. Haunting. When I am on my deathbed, I might reminisce about old games, saying "I'm glad I was able to play games such as Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom, Quake, and yes, Bioshock: Infinite." It's that good.

[Edit: And no Quick Time Events (QTEs)! That makes it all the better.]

Haunting is a good word to describe it. It's been two days since I finished it, and my head is still reeling!

Probably the most unsettling part for me (aside from the fate of Elizabeth) is the chapter while you're going through the hospital with the Boys of Silence. The voice acting was pretty convincing, I must say.

I find it strange that the cover art only features Booker, and not Elizabeth. I read somewhere that 2K has some rule about featuring male co-leads on the cover, and female co-leads on the back. Which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I just checked out the alternate covers that were just released for the game. The one that most accurately represents the game is this one (IMO):

cover_close-upDESIGN06.jpg

Astrum said:
I find it strange that the cover art only features Booker, and not Elizabeth. I read somewhere that 2K has some rule about featuring male co-leads on the cover, and female co-leads on the back. Which is ridiculous if you ask me.

On the official cover (box), Booker DeWitt is on the front, and Elizabeth is on the back. (I only know this because I heard it on the Internet. I downloaded my copy via Steam, so I never actually got a box).

There is an interview with Ken Levine where he implies that taking Elizabeth off of the cover was a compromise he made. He didn't come right out and say that he was against it, or what the compromise was about, but one gets the impression that he was pressured into doing it [Edit: after rewatching the interview it was about market research.] He mentioned that he could accept it because it isn't a compromise that affects the game itself.

Edit: found it! He goes into detail about the box cover starting about about 19:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsjALh2vYA

[Oooh. I made the first page!]

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
I think it is more a combination of an overactive imagination and a frustrated career in comedy (never

really tried it) . When I was trying to decide between academics and comedy, all comedians suggested I stick

with academics, and all academics told me " I think you should stick with comedy".

I mean the strange chopping of the sentences. Why didn't you write:

"I think it is more a combination of an overactive imagination and a frustrated career in comedy (never really tried it) . When I was trying to decide between academics and comedy, all comedians suggested I stick with academics, and all academics told me " I think you should stick with comedy"."

zoobyshoe said:
I mean the strange chopping of the sentences. Why didn't you write:

"I think it is more a combination of an overactive imagination and a frustrated career in comedy (never really tried it) . When I was trying to decide between academics and comedy, all comedians suggested I stick with academics, and all academics told me " I think you should stick with comedy"."

Oh, I hadn't noticed. I'll try to avoid it from now on. It may come from posting in sites
where ASCII math characters are used, and one is asked to leave spacing to be able
to read more easily.

collinsmark said:
On the official cover (box), Booker DeWitt is on the front, and Elizabeth is on the back. (I only know this because I heard it on the Internet. I downloaded my copy via Steam, so I never actually got a box).

There is an interview with Ken Levine where he implies that taking Elizabeth off of the cover was a compromise he made. He didn't come right out and say that he was against it, or what the compromise was about, but one gets the impression that he was pressured into doing it [Edit: after rewatching the interview it was about market research.] He mentioned that he could accept it because it isn't a compromise that affects the game itself.

Edit: found it! He goes into detail about the box cover starting about about 19:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsjALh2vYA

[Oooh. I made the first page!]

Yes, but I think it's silly.

Anyway, we can thank Irrational Games for this cool version of "God Only Knows"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ogV49WGco

Had some pretty tasty ribs for dinner; they had , as the French would say, a certain " I don't know what".

My first post on these forums ^_^
Also almost done with high school

Physics_Chris said:
My first post on these forums ^_^
Also almost done with high school

Welcome to PF, Chris!

Learning that waking up at 5:30 is easier than waking up at 6:00. Guess that's what my body wants to do...

Hammersmith odium fillibuster ghostbrain plumb.

Last edited:
dkotschessaa said:
Learning that waking up at 5:30 is easier than waking up at 6:00. Guess that's what my body wants to do...

The spirit is willing :smile:, but the flesh is weak :zzz:. One of life's unsolved mysteries.

Indeed, a great mystery…

Duplex said:
The spirit is willing :smile:, but the flesh is weak :zzz:. One of life's unsolved mysteries.

My spirit was willing and my body had a double espresso in bed.

(Realized I've gone quite a few posts without mentioning my espresso machine somehow).

-Dave K

Schola est prope... Latine iterum cogitare incipio...

School is nigh… I am beginning to think in Latin again…

volo Latine sciebant

I wish I knew latin.

dkotschessaa said:
volo Latine sciebant

I wish I knew latin.

I wish you did as well.

dkotschessaa said:
My spirit was willing and my body had a double espresso in bed.

Bed>expresso machine.
A catch-22.

Duplex said:
Bed>expresso machine.
A catch-22.

Well I've solved that, kind of. I set the machine up before I go to bed. First alarm goes off, I hit snooze, and I get up to turn it on and go back to bed. Alarm goes off and then I get my espresso and bring it back to bed. I sit in bed and drink it and snuggle with my wife until we absolutely have to get out of bed.

L4xord said:
I wish you did as well.

:tongue:

My son was flip flopping all over bed last night, a real 3 year old nocturnal acrobat. Must be the new astronaut rocket pajamas.

dkotschessaa said:
volo Latine sciebant

I wish I knew latin.

Don't you? QED : Quod Erat Demonstrandum , E Pluribus Unum , Morituris te Salutamus.

Well if that's the standard, then I know a lot of languages.

Futon teriyaki tofu...

Bacle2 said:
Don't you? QED : Quod Erat Demonstrandum , E Pluribus Unum , Morituris te Salutamus.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Jonathan Scott said:
Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, I too am trying to cut down on carbohydrates.

Likes WWGD
I am starting to hate facebook. Profile image can't have a white background, as it will be cropped by their algo.

Sci-Fi channel continues to show 2012, the 2009 film about the 2012 end of the world:

MV5BMTY0MjEyODQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTczMjQ4Mg@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Likes WWGD
zoobyshoe said:
Sci-Fi channel continues to show 2012, the 2009 film about the 2012 end of the world:

I think Orwell mentioned that in his '1984' book, which he wrote in 1948.
The book was banned in many countries in 1950.

Around 1,045,000 views to go to reach the (so far) 1,045,023 views of the first part of RT.

zoobyshoe said:

I saw that and wondered whether it was still a banned topic on the forum. :tongue:

Last edited:
Congrats to me for being the first post on page 3

well it was worth a try

Random thought:

National Physics Day is on April 24th.

:biggrin: