Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Random Thoughts Part 2

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In order to help with server load, we are splitting up the larger threads.

This is a continuation of the original Random Thoughts thread located here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338126 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2

trollcast

Gold Member

Yay first post to the new random thoughts thread

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Congrats!

5. Apr 21, 2013 #4
    Haunting is a good word to describe it. It's been two days since I finished it, and my head is still reeling!

Probably the most unsettling part for me (aside from the fate of Elizabeth) is the chapter while you're going through the hospital with the Boys of Silence. The voice acting was pretty convincing, I must say.

I find it strange that the cover art only features Booker, and not Elizabeth. I read somewhere that 2K has some rule about featuring male co-leads on the cover, and female co-leads on the back. Which is ridiculous if you ask me.

I just checked out the alternate covers that were just released for the game. The one that most accurately represents the game is this one (IMO):

cover_close-upDESIGN06.jpg

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the official cover (box), Booker DeWitt is on the front, and Elizabeth is on the back. (I only know this because I heard it on the Internet. I downloaded my copy via Steam, so I never actually got a box).

There is an interview with Ken Levine where he implies that taking Elizabeth off of the cover was a compromise he made. He didn't come right out and say that he was against it, or what the compromise was about, but one gets the impression that he was pressured into doing it [Edit: after rewatching the interview it was about market research.] He mentioned that he could accept it because it isn't a compromise that affects the game itself.

Edit: found it! He goes into detail about the box cover starting about about 19:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsjALh2vYA

[Oooh. I made the first page!]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. Apr 21, 2013 #6
    I mean the strange chopping of the sentences. Why didn't you write:

"I think it is more a combination of an overactive imagination and a frustrated career in comedy (never really tried it) . When I was trying to decide between academics and comedy, all comedians suggested I stick with academics, and all academics told me " I think you should stick with comedy"."

8. Apr 21, 2013 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Oh, I hadn't noticed. I'll try to avoid it from now on. It may come from posting in sites
    where ASCII math characters are used, and one is asked to leave spacing to be able
    to read more easily.

9. Apr 22, 2013 #8
    Yes, but I think it's silly.

Anyway, we can thank Irrational Games for this cool version of "God Only Knows"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ogV49WGco

10. Apr 22, 2013 #9

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Had some pretty tasty ribs for dinner; they had , as the French would say, a certain " I don't know what".

11. Apr 22, 2013 #10
    My first post on these forums ^_^
    Also almost done with high school

12. Apr 22, 2013 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Chris!

13. Apr 22, 2013 #12
    Learning that waking up at 5:30 is easier than waking up at 6:00. Guess that's what my body wants to do...

14. Apr 22, 2013 #13
    Hammersmith odium fillibuster ghostbrain plumb.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  15. Apr 22, 2013 #14

Duplex

Gold Member

The spirit is willing :smile:, but the flesh is weak :zzz:. One of life's unsolved mysteries.

16. Apr 22, 2013 #15
    Indeed, a great mystery…

17. Apr 22, 2013 #16
    My spirit was willing and my body had a double espresso in bed.

(Realized I've gone quite a few posts without mentioning my espresso machine somehow).

-Dave K

18. Apr 22, 2013 #17
    Schola est prope... Latine iterum cogitare incipio...

School is nigh… I am beginning to think in Latin again…

19. Apr 22, 2013 #18
    volo Latine sciebant

I wish I knew latin.

20. Apr 22, 2013 #19
    I wish you did as well.

21. Apr 22, 2013 #20

Duplex

Gold Member

Bed>expresso machine.
    A catch-22.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook