Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Historical misconceptions -

I think Evo can appreciate this.

French inches were different (longer) than English inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
I'm on my 7th reading of this post. I think I've almost got it.

Yes, sorry, setting up the context seemed too long/complicated, and, given that this is
Random Thoughts, I omitted setting it up (this is my long excuse for poor writing.)

This is a confession on my part. I only like slim women like the Lara Croft picture below with big boobs and a gorgeous arse. Thank you.

tomb-raider.jpg

I like many kinds of women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMf9GlLXouA

micromass said:
Maybe that simply means that the dutch are bad at aiming? :biggrin:

One would be temped to point out at what age an American toddler can aim accurately. But that would be even more inappropriate.

micromass said:
Maybe that simply means that the dutch are bad at aiming? :biggrin:

Or, it measns the dutch are more rational about choosing what to aim at.

Andre said:

This is absurd, though; in the Netherlands, there are 3.9 privately owned firearms per 100 people, but in the U.S., there are 101.05 privately owned firearms per 100 people. Obviously if people don't have guns, then they can't shoot people.

I understand that a point is trying to be made here, in that having fewer guns results in having fewer deaths due to guns, but there's no legal, or constitutionally moral way to simply take away 300,000,000+ guns from civilians.

Instead we need to be looking at countries like Switzerland, for this very reason:
uIVWHHB.png

Clearly Switzerland is far more comparable to the United States in this category than the Netherlands is. However, Switzerland, despite there being nearly half as many guns as people, has an astoundingly small (0.52/100,000) annual rate of homicide by firearms. If anything beneficial is to be done in the U.S., then whatever Switzerland is doing, we need to implement.

Besides, the majority of the homicides committed by guns in the U.S. is primarily in a few select cities (Detroit, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, etc... *noticing a pattern here?*). Fixing those prime areas will vastly decrease homicides by guns.

*All information obtained from the same website that you used for your information.*

Man if I wasn't tied down by college, I'd love to move to Switzerland. Less gun nuts there and I don't have to worry about being robbed when taking the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens :p

Honestly though for the apparent abundance of gun owners in the US compared to other first world countries, I have never in my life actually seen a real gun (nor do I want to). I guess I got lucky in terms of where I was brought up.

WannabeNewton said:
Man if I wasn't tied down by college, I'd love to move to Switzerland. Less gun nuts there and I don't have to worry about being robbed when taking the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens :p

And mountains!

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I understand that a point is trying to be made here, in that having fewer guns results in having fewer deaths due to guns, but there's no legal, or constitutionally moral way to simply take away 300,000,000+ guns from civilians.

You don't need to take away the guns. Just impose a sales tax on bullets. Say $100 each.

AlephZero said:
You don't need to take away the guns. Just impose a sales tax on bullets. Say $100 each.

Absolutely, that is the solution, the Achilles heel of the gun problem. Have all the guns you want.

great now we have to work on getting this thread to 1 mil + views :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W53Zjdh8AA#!

Kholdstare said:
Well, she played a law student once or twice, you know.

Kholdstare said:

I saw Reese Without Her Spoon.

AlephZero said:

Then only the Amish will have bullets

(I realize this statement doesn't make any actual sense)

WannaBeNewton said:
Honestly though for the apparent abundance of gun owners in the US compared to other first world countries, I have never in my life actually seen a real gun (nor do I want to). I guess I got lucky in terms of where I was brought up.

This is a terrible attitude. As if the mere sight of a gun is going to scar you or remove some vestige of innocence or dignity from you.

Move to Switzerland and enjoy being conscripted into the militia and required to keep a gun in your home :rolleyes:

Office_Shredder said:
... This is a terrible attitude. As if the mere sight of a gun is going to scar you or remove some vestige of innocence or dignity from you.

agreed
I grew up on a farm and as with most farms the owners always had guns for pest control.
I learned to shoot a .22 rifle when I was ~ 10 yrs old and in my teens had many supervised (by dad) wanders around the farm shooting rabbits and other pests. He taught me a healthy respect for firearms both in their safe use of and in their care of ( proper cleaning, storage etc)
That followed me all through life as I grew up and owned my own rifles.
Something I would never regret

Move to Switzerland and enjoy being conscripted into the militia and required to keep a gun in your home :rolleyes:

compulsory conscription huh, how does that work ie. age and for how long ?

New Zealand and Australia used to have compulsory consciption ... when you turned 18 and got 6 weeks or so of boot camp. I really feared the thought of it when I was a teen. fortunately there was a change in govt. just prior to my 18th birthday, compulsory military training was abolished and I was spared the experience ;)

Dave

Office_Shredder said:
This is a terrible attitude. As if the mere sight of a gun is going to scar you or remove some vestige of innocence or dignity from you.

Indifference towards viewing guns does not equate to one fearing their taking of innocence or dignity. I fail to see a point, or rationality, in this post.

OK, we all know how gun discussions end up. Please stop now and start getting random.

Likes gracy
lisab said:
OK, we all know how gun discussions end up. Please stop now and start getting random.

Typical gun-lover stance :rolleyes:

In other news, I made a twitter account today.

can we talk about swords

PhizKid said:
can we talk about swords

No. But daggers, on the other hand...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having another one of those "WHY AM I EVEN DOING AN MSC!?" moment... stupid setup has been giving me rubbish data for the past week and I just can't find where the problem is :S

ugh.. whatever I'll go back and keep trying to find out...

It's vulture time:

A supermarket nearby is closing , and offering discounts, closing day is 5/18.
Maybe there are Mathematical models for the optimal strategy : how to get good stuff at the
best prize; as the 18th approaches, the discount rates will be higher, but more stuff will be gone
the more one waits. I got a bunch of expensive cheeses and salamis. Maybe I'll go back when my
stomach is O.K again.

Re my last post, I meant to say that I saw Reese Witherspoon without her spoon. I can't think of
someone with a 'knife' in their names, and 'fork' is too risky.

There was a show on CNN with Steve Israel, Geoffrey Canada and Donna Brazzile as guests. Wonder
if the choice was a coincidence. Maybe they could have invited Michael Jordan too.

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
Re my last post, I meant to say that I saw Reese Witherspoon without her spoon. I can't think of
someone with a 'knife' in their names, and 'fork' is too risky.

Indeed! Do you not know who I am?!

-Niles T. Forkington

Bacle2 said:
I got a bunch of expensive cheeses and salamis.
(A nice sharp cheddar is best for what follows)

Cook an egg (scrambled for best results) or two, and put all three ingredients IN a carved out, oven crisped cuban bread roll.

Best sandwich ever, and believe me I've done it countless times... And now that I think about it, I should post this in The Food Thread.

We figured out how to make butter from scratch, but whipping cream until it's no longer whipped cream. We are utterly fascinated by this process that people have been doing for at least 2000 years. Oh and it's damn good.

Also straining homemade yogurt to make it greek and soaking beans to make sprouts. Gotta whole little lab going on in that kitchen...

Evo said:

Scots!

They are kind of funny. You can't mention a little turn of the millennia "man purse" that you strap around your waist, lest you want to get slapped. :blushing:

-------------------------
ps. I spent at least 4 minutes the other day looking for my fanny pack. Never did find the little badger...

dkotschessaa said:
Indeed! Do you not know who I am?!

-Niles T. Forkington

Ah, and there's also Mack the Knife--maybe related to the family from Evo's link.

Doppelgangers... my least favorite sci-fi cliche plot device. ugh