Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Regulars: How well do you know each other?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    I've never been a forum-regular before but, I've always been a little curious about how deep the relationships grow between people who frequent the same place for a long while.

Do you get a general understanding of each others' personalities, preferences, histories, etc.?

Have any of you met, or keep in contact by secondary means?

How well do you know the other regulars here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2
    I don't post on physicsforums that often but I have read pretty much everything posted over the last four years. I feel like I know the personalities, backgrounds, political inclinations etc of many many regulars. Nobody knows me though :)

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Isn't that the definition of a stalker?

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes, yes, in what units?

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I could vanish from this site in a puff of smoke and no one would ever realize it.

7. Sep 25, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Who's that Penguin guy? Is he new? Never noticed him before...

8. Sep 25, 2011 #7

rhody

Gold Member

Nah, A few of us regulars would miss Pengy, at least for awhile that is.

Rhody...

9. Sep 25, 2011 #8
    I met one member, just missed meeting one other, and spoke to two on the phone.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. Sep 25, 2011 #9

Borek

I know three members in person - of those I am married to one. Not that they count as regulars.

11. Sep 25, 2011 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Now that is just plain going overboard in getting to know members. I hope you are not planning on making a habit of this.

12. Sep 25, 2011 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know several by emails and chats, met two in person (one in a physics class we were taking together, but we didn't realize we were both on PF until after the class was over). I'm the mom of one, and I got a good friend to join but he doesn't come on very much.

But yes, I feel I know several very well, by reading their posts and interacting with them in threads.

I'd like to meet more in person!

13. Sep 25, 2011 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.cartoonbank.com/invt/106197 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  14. Sep 25, 2011 #13

Evo

I feel that I know some members better than people I know in person. Actually I do know them better. Being physically in someone's presence does not mean that you know them any better or that they are being truthful. I do not know why people put so much importance on having been in the same room with someone, as if it suddenly makes them more believable and trustworthy.

If you need facial expressions or body language, video conference.

15. Sep 25, 2011 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Evo stalks me. I don't know how she got my e-mail but she has been stalking me.

16. Sep 25, 2011 #15

Evo

:rofl:

True.

17. Sep 25, 2011 #16

rhody

Gold Member

All I know is that Evo is being sought to run for president in 2012, and I am taking it seriously.

Rhody...

18. Sep 25, 2011 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't really know anyone here, until you've spent an afternoon in BAUT chat with them.
    I've met 4, have traded postcards with 6, and have 15 facebook friends from here.
    I know who's threads to stay out of.

19. Sep 25, 2011 #18

Evo

:rofl: Ain't that the truth!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook